PDA

View Full Version : Robert Rosand tools

Mike Willeson
09-08-2010, 6:32 PM
I am looking for an inexpensive way to experiment with hollowing.

I have seen reference to the Robert Rosand tools but a quick search of the "creek" did not find may opinions.

Would anyone who has these tools or has tried them be willing to offer comments or opinions?

I am also open to additional "starter" tools for hollowing, but cost is a consideration...(two kids in college and 1 upcoming wedding to save for).

Thanks,
Mike

David E Keller
09-08-2010, 6:51 PM
I'm not familiar with the Rosand tools, but I'll put in a vote for the sorby hollowmaster. I've got a swan neck midi version that I still use even though I got the monster. I've done quite a few pieces from start to finish with nothing else. It's more physically demanding than the captured or articulating tools, but it'll get the job done. Other options include making your own or checking with our own Jeff Nicol, resident SMC tool maker.

charlie knighton
09-08-2010, 8:32 PM
Robert has a web site, i use his bent hollower, for xmas ornaments, it works well, but the ornaments or turnings should not be over 2 inches wide

i have not used the monster hollowing system, but have seen many reveiws, however it is expensive. i use the elbo tool, enjoy using it, and would recomend it. it will hollow from 6 - 8 inches deep, it is not cheep at $250 but i have no regrets buying it. the opening with the elbo tool will have to be larger than 1 inch, which is fine with me

i do recomend starting doing xmas ornaments to get an idea of the forces involved

Paul Douglass
09-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Talk about cheap. I'm attempting to make my own. Just started so I don't have anything to show yet. This is a great tutorial:

http://www.woodturnersamerica.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:making-boring-bars-for-hollowing&catid=61:vaughn-mcmillan&Itemid=82

Michael James
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
I have the Jeff N hollowing system and it's priced very competitively. This bad boy will hollow out, and I'm catching on. I have the monster mini on order but cant imagine not ever using the hand tool for certain jobs. Also have a micro mini set. There's optiions out there and a whole array of price spread.
mj