PDA

View Full Version : Router Purchase

Jeremy Greiner
09-08-2010, 4:53 PM
I've been researching routers for quiet a bit, and I found the Porter Cable 895PK and I thought "Wow that would be great, a fixed and plunge base that also has a lift in the fixed base"

Then I did some more reading and review searching and found a lot of bad reviews, I also found alternatives suggested here on the creek.

I'm currently looking at:
Bosch 1617EVSPK http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Milwaukee 5616 http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616-24-Max-Horsepower-Multi-Base-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV1CXW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Freud FT1700VCEK http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1700VCEK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Router/dp/B000BVB1MO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=power-hand-tools&qid=1283977541&sr=1-5

From what I can tell, they all have 1/4'' and 1/2'' collets, plunge and fixed bases and the fixed bases have an above the table lift built in.

To me this seems like a great starter router, I'd have all my routing bases covered at least moderatly well until I get to the point I can buy a dedicated router for the table etc..

What do you guys think? I understand buying 3 seperate routers would give me the best results, but for a starting out wood worker would this be worth it?

-jeremy

Will Overton
09-08-2010, 5:02 PM
I own the 1617 and the 5616. Both are very capable routers. I favor the Milwaukee because I find the 'body grip' is more comfortable and gives me more control than the two wooden knobs on the Bosch. You should try to wrap your hands around both and decide what's comfortable for you.

My neighbor has the 1617 and the 1700.
He has the Bosch in a table and has no trouble doing raised panels doors, using multiple cuts. I was surprised one day to see him take the Bosch out of the table to do some plunge work, while the Freud sat there gathering dust. I never did find out why.

glenn bradley
09-08-2010, 5:28 PM
I have had a few different router brands. I now have a couple 5615's, 5616's and a 5625 in the table so I guess you know my vote.

pat warner
09-08-2010, 6:55 PM
Order of greatness starts with 1617, then Milwaukee, then Spain (Freud).

Mike Henderson
09-08-2010, 7:11 PM
I have the PC 890 (895 to be specific, I believe) and have been very satisfied with it. I've had it for a number of years and used it primarily in a router table.

Mike

Jay Allen
09-08-2010, 7:43 PM
I am a big fan of the Milwaukee too. I got the first one when they hit the market several years ago, and the second one a few years later. The body grip was the most attractive thing from the begining, but there is a lot to like about them in general. The wrenches are great, real forged tools, not that stamped sheet metal of many other brands. The stand-up case that allows you to leave the bit in-place is handy too.

Tom Esh
09-08-2010, 7:52 PM
I have the PC 890 (895 to be specific, I believe) and have been very satisfied with it. I've had it for a number of years and used it primarily in a router table.

Mike

+1 (2 actually)
Sure they run warm, but so what. How hard is it to wait a couple minutes or grab a rag before changing bits.;)

Only complaint I had was the early version of the plunge base. What an abomination that thing was. Might as well strap the motor to a pogo stick!

Van Huskey
09-08-2010, 8:10 PM
IF you can wait get the new Bosch kit that was shown at IWF, I think they said October, I like it better than the 1617. OR if you wait they should be clowing out the 1617 very soon.

Bill Huber
09-08-2010, 8:44 PM
IF you can wait get the new Bosch kit that was shown at IWF, I think they said October, I like it better than the 1617. OR if you wait they should be clowing out the 1617 very soon.

The problem with the new Bosch router is you can not use it in a lift because of the power connection on the side.

Bill Huber
09-08-2010, 8:50 PM
I like my Bosch 1617 but then again its the only one I have had.

I did have a problem with the switch and had to replace it but I think I could have just cleaned it out with no problem.

On the above the table adjustment, its not that good. You still have to go under the table to release it so you can adjust it from the top. I have not seen a good base that beats a lift, now I have not seen a lot of them but the ones I have seen just are not a lift.

I have one of mine in a Jessem FX lift in the table all the time and it works very well.

Don Alexander
09-08-2010, 9:21 PM
personally i don't think you can go wrong with any of the three (Bosch, Milwaukee or Freud) have used them all and i like them all currently i have the Freud and it is a very nice tool any of the 3 are way ahead of that Porter-Cable model

keith micinski
09-08-2010, 9:37 PM
The problem with the new Bosch router is you can not use it in a lift because of the power connection on the side.

Can anyone verify this for sure and also has anyone else heard about a release date for this tool. I almost pulled the trigger on a new 1617 tonight but I could bring myself to wait a few more weeks for the newer model. I hate paying full price for tools and can't bring myself to do it so I may end up waiting to get a 1617 if the price drops when the new model comes out if I cant use the new model in my lift.

Will Overton
09-08-2010, 9:42 PM
Can anyone verify this for sure ...

I'll bet the folks at Bosch know and would be happy to tell you. ;)

michael case
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
The Bosch is really nice. I have had it for years and love it over all. No lateral slop at all in the plunge. The only criticism I have is that the little disc with the stepped ledges that serves as the stop for the depth adjustment has play. You have to make sure you press down on it when setting the depth or you'll end up with a slightly deeper cut than than you intend when you push the router to depth.

Van Huskey
09-08-2010, 11:53 PM

Sorry Bill, but unless you are talking about a diffrent router you are incorrect. The this has what they call a router table base...

I used it freehand but the guy showed me the base and talked about above table movement.

Bill Huber
09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Sorry Bill, but unless you are talking about a diffrent router you are incorrect. The this has what they call a router table base...

I used it freehand but the guy showed me the base and talked about above table movement.

I am talking about the new MR23EVS, it has a set of connectors on the side of the motor that connects to the switch on the handle.

You may be able to use the base on a table but using it in a Woodpecker or Jessem lift I don't see how it would work. First it would have to fit and I don't see how it would and then there is the contacts for the switch.

I have not had one in my hand but from what I have see it would be a problem with a lift.

Van Huskey
09-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I am talking about the new MR23EVS, it has a set of connectors on the side of the motor that connects to the switch on the handle.

You may be able to use the base on a table but using it in a Woodpecker or Jessem lift I don't see how it would work. First it would have to fit and I don't see how it would and then there is the contacts for the switch.

I have not had one in my hand but from what I have see it would be a problem with a lift.

I didn't get the impression he wanted to use it in a lift just in a table, just an all in one "kit". I didn't look at it with interest about putting it in a lift since I think production motors when I think lift. So it may have lift issues but will work at least as well as the 1617 in a table by itself.

Bill Huber
09-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I didn't get the impression he wanted to use it in a lift just in a table, just an all in one "kit". I didn't look at it with interest about putting it in a lift since I think production motors when I think lift. So it may have lift issues but will work at least as well as the 1617 in a table by itself.

True he didn't say anything about a lift but I wanted to point it out. When I got my 1617 I had no thought of ever getting a lift and now that I have one I couldn't think of using my router table with out a lift.

So I guess it is just one of those things to think about for the future.

scott spencer
09-09-2010, 3:48 AM
All 3 of those are good routers. The MW is built like a tank, has an excellent plunger, and is very comfortable to use. The wood handles on the Bosch are nice, and it's well made, but it requires an adapter for accessories...the plunge base is good. The FT1700 has excellent above table features and is my "go to" table router. The plunger on the Freud isn't as smooth as the MW or Bosch, but it's the only one of those 3 that offers the above table features. I have an excellent MW5625 for table use also, but I typically choose the FT1700 for convenience.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/NRT7.jpg

Jeremy Greiner
09-09-2010, 4:11 PM
Thanks for the input, I went with the Milwaukee I liked the feel of it better.