PDA

View Full Version : Seems like forever

Darin Higginbotham
09-08-2010, 4:21 PM
I've been telling myself I was going to build a overhead dust collection unit for the table saw for forever it seems like. Well when in a wheelchair the dust that comes off of the blade goes in the face and up the nose and any other opening in the vacinity, well this morning I was cutting some walnut and that was it! Went to ace picked up what looked like a 100 bucks worth of useless parts, however I think it turned out ok. At least it gets the dust even if it's not perfect, wadda ya think?

Jeremy Greiner
09-08-2010, 4:38 PM
Looks great!

Van Huskey
09-08-2010, 8:05 PM
Great job!

Bill Huber
09-08-2010, 8:54 PM
I think it looks good, just as good as one you would buy.

Do you have to put counter weights on it or is the long part of the tub enough?

Now the big question is, it looks good, but how does it work.

michael case
09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey, why not market it. nice job!

Gary Hodgin
09-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Looks great!

Dave Gaul
09-09-2010, 8:46 AM
That is awesome!

Jim Rimmer
09-09-2010, 1:38 PM
It looks great. My question is, how did you do that from a wheel chair? You must be very inventive.

Greg Roberts
09-09-2010, 2:24 PM
It looks great. My question is, how did you do that from a wheel chair? You must be very inventive.

I had the same thought. Good for you, however you got it done!

Greg

Will Boulware
09-09-2010, 2:41 PM
Great work! Makes me want to get moving on my own collection efforts!

Darin Higginbotham
09-10-2010, 8:54 AM
Jim I built it I didn't install it thats what good neighbors are for, and oh what great neighbors I have, come and help at a moments notice. Thanks for all of the comments,now just have to hook something up to the lathe....hmmm.

Darin Higginbotham
09-10-2010, 9:04 AM
Bill, I have just used the adjustable wind nuts to adjust it up and down for the thickness of whatever board I am sawing. I have intentions of putting a counter-weight on it just havn't got there yet, but it seems to work great as is. The thought of marketing them had occurred, but then I'd never get anything made woodwise that is. Thanks again guys.

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2010, 4:30 PM
I built mine from what looks like the same plans. I changed the shape of the pickup/guard assembly though.
I used some threaded rod and fender washers for my counter balance, with an acorn nut on the end. Jim.

Darin Higginbotham
09-11-2010, 1:29 AM
Bill and Jim you got me itch'in to finish it and this is what I came up with, a peice of oak turned on the lathe and then drilled to accept lead pellets to perfect the balance, worked like a charm. Jim your solution sounds a lot easier, however I've never been one for making anything simple, even when somethings done I can't leave it alone most of the time with dire results, DOH!!!:eek:

Jim O'Dell
09-11-2010, 9:00 AM
Darin, I pondered for a while on how to do the counterbalance. My first thought was to melt down old led tire balance weights (have free access to all I want :rolleyes: ) But there isn't a good way to guage how much would be needed. Finally thought of the threaded rod and washers. Easy to build, easy to adjust.
I just recently moved my OH guard from mounting off the side of the blade to mounted behind the blade. Seems to not twist as bad when the wood hits the guard when pushing through. For some reason, it needed more weight to counterbalance, still don't know why unless it's the change in mounting point on the pickup head. Had to add a extra piece of rod by coupling the two with a nut and more fender washers. I need to get a longer piece of rod and replace it.
My solution may be simpler, but your's sounds and I bet looks a lot more elegant!!!! And probably cheaper. I think I have $20.00 worth of washers on mine!! :p Jim.

Rob Cunningham
09-11-2010, 9:12 AM
Looks great Darin. I started building one that looks like yours but never got around to mounting it. :( Thanks for the inspiration.

Michael Weber
09-12-2010, 12:55 AM
very nice and well executed. I'm curious what kind of plastic you used for the hood.

Darin Higginbotham
09-12-2010, 5:35 AM
Michael, I used just plane old plexi-glass, I wanted Lexan but couldn't find it quite as soon as I needed it so I took what was available. If Lexan, or one of the stronger materials is available use it, less chance of shattering, I will change mine in the future. Jim washers sound like a good idea if a person didn't have a lathe to turn the counter-balance.