PDA

View Full Version : Motor for powersanding?

Greg Muller
09-08-2010, 4:12 PM
I have a flex sander on the way, and a chuck that'll fit on a 1/2" motor shaft, but I haven't found a motor yet for a reasonable price.

Specs I'm looking for:

1/2 HP
Induction motor
15,000 rpm max
110v

Anyone know where I can get one of these, or do I need to change my specs?

Thanks in advance!
G

Harvey Schneider
09-08-2010, 6:38 PM
Greg,
First, 15K RPM sounds a bit fast both for sanding and for the flex shaft. The flex shaft that I have is rated to 10K RPM. If you take a look at the ratings on sanding drills used to drive most sanding disks they only go to a few thousand RPM. In any case, I don't think that hook and loop abrasive will stay on the mandrel at 15K RPM. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.

Second, induction motors don't run at speeds that high. Off the top of my head I believe the theoretical limit for an induction motor is 7200 RPM. Most motors are at sub-multiples of that (3600, 1800 theoretical)or some speeds slightly less than the sub-multiples. If you want high speeds, you will have to go to a universal type motor (brush). Universal motors tend to be noisy and might be objectionable in the shop (think electric drill or shop vacuum).

Third, I don't think you want 1/2HP. In fact I don't think that the flex shaft will survive 1/2 HP. I think that someting on the order of 1/8 HP to 1/4 HP should be plenty

I suggest that you try starting with either a 1725 RPM or a 3550 RPM motor. Both of these should be readily available.
Harvey

David Christopher
09-08-2010, 8:24 PM
Greg, I have a 3/4 HP variable speed motor 0 to 4000 RPMs,

Greg Muller
09-08-2010, 8:55 PM
Dave, you mean you have one that you use? Or available for sale?

Harvey, the flex shaft I bought is rated for up to 15k rpm's. Another turner suggested it to me and said to get a motor that would run it. He DIDN'T say an induction motor, that's my idea. I didn't realize they were limited. I really want an induction motor, so if I have to go slower, that'd be fine. I want to keep the volume down when possible.

David Christopher
09-08-2010, 9:23 PM
Greg, this one is for sale...it is a industrial grade sewing machine motor, it is cast iron ( heavy ) brand new...I was going to put it in a lathe but bought a new lathe, so it has been sitting..I will take $100 shipped

Greg Muller
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
David, I think I'll take it! PM sent!