PDA

View Full Version : Raster vs Vector misalignment

Harper Abbot
09-08-2010, 2:52 PM
I have a troubling issue that is making me nuts... I believe the problem has existed since I have owned my Epilog, but I have just now pinpointed the issue.

I have cut a tool (using the laser) that holds many circular objects for rastering. The raster images never line up - like 1/8 inch off, which is terrible for this application. I suspected my tool was warping during cutting, but it has not - if I re-run the vectors that cut the tool, they align correctly.

My file is in X3, and has a guides layer that contains the circles that originally cut the tool. I align my raster images into these circles, and then send the raster layer to the engraver.

The most troubling thing is that the raster layer is not simply relocated compared to the vector - the misalignment is off one direction in one corner, and a different direction in another corner, etc.

Does this sound like a software glitch? driver? engraver? I'M FREAKIN OUT

Mike Null
09-08-2010, 2:59 PM
I don't use layers but I'm wondering if your table size is the same on each layer--it may well be impossible not to have identical layers. The problem sounds like a drawing page size versus table page size issue.

Gary Hair
09-08-2010, 3:09 PM
Harper,
How about posting your file and the dimensions of your laser bed. I can't imagine why it would happen but anything is possible.

Gary

Larry Bratton
09-08-2010, 3:28 PM
First..did you ask Epilog Tech support?

This item is found under the Maintenance Key on my EXT.
Also, I went through something similar not long ago and found out that my home position calibration was off enough to cause a problem. This too can be adjusted under Maintenance.
4. Calib. X Encoder
This feature automatically calibrates the system so that Raster and Vector images are
perfectly aligned to each other. This is a one time factory setting that will not
normally be used outside of the factory.

Harper Abbot
09-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I had a call in to Epilog when I posted. They returned the call a while later, and of course it started working fine... Didn't even mess with any settings.

I tried EVERYTHING I could think of beforehand, still don't know what caused it. I sure hope it doesn't come back!

Martin Boekers
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I have this happen every so often, usually after I laser outdoor plastic. (it creates a very fine
dust.)

The problem is that dust gets in the grooves of the belt which in turn gets in the gear/grooves of the X motor.

If you take the X motor out you will be able to see the build up.

I find a strong pin or a needle seems the best way to scrape out the grooves.

Then I clean the encoder strip, the sensor that runs on the strip
and for good measure run the X calibration.

I have to do this everytime I run a sheet or two with the outdoor material.

It sounds like a lot of work but it only takes about 15 min or so once
you do it a couple times.

This may not be your issue, but it's still good to know.

Marty