PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple stump gloat

Thomas Bennett
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Last Friday I was in the right place at the right time. I was calling on a customer, talking in the yard and noticed a freshly cut pile of firewood. The owner informed me a tree service cut the Silver Maple down that morning. They made it easy for me.
I do not know hwat happened to the fourth section of the stump. I did not see it, but might have missed it. I may go back and look for it.

I could see the curl jumping out of the stump pieces. I did not see it in the upper sections.

Notice the metal I found in one of the blanks. I heard the tell-tale tick-tick-tick and knew something was not right. Sure enough, a small nail. Luckily, it was easy to carve out and keep going. I had to re-grind this Thompson gouge.

Here are some photos of the process.

Rob Cunningham
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Some really nice figure in that maple. It should really stand out when finished.

charlie knighton
09-08-2010, 1:12 PM
good stuff......

John Keeton
09-08-2010, 1:32 PM
Wow! That is some very nice maple!!

Michael E. Thompson
09-08-2010, 2:04 PM
Sweet! I love curly maple. Congrates on the score.

Tim Rinehart
09-08-2010, 2:05 PM
Yes, that's a beauty. I guess the trade-off for finding nails, pieces of barbwire, etc...is the inherent mineral staining if it does any justice to having been there.:rolleyes:

Love the figure, can't wait to see that one completed.

Great gloat!

bob svoboda
09-08-2010, 2:29 PM
Well done-a worthy gloat!

Greg Muller
09-08-2010, 4:41 PM
Nice. My father-in-law insists that Silver Maple is too soft for turning bowls.

Bob Bergstrom
09-08-2010, 5:40 PM
I just hit a 16 penny the other day. It must have been nail into the tree when it was young. It was a long way from the bark of the tree. Took a nice chip out of my gouge aslo.

David E Keller
09-08-2010, 6:45 PM
Sweet! Great looking figure.

James Roberts
09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Nice gloat! Show us what you get out of it.

Jeff Nicol
09-09-2010, 7:39 AM
Thomas, You did good! But those darn nails always put a damper on the tool edge! The curl in the bowl is awesome! I have a buddy that had a timber harvest a couple of years ago and some of the stumps are over 40" across, I better go get me some of that!! Most all of it was silver or swamp maple and I did get some at the time he had it cut and it is great stuff to turn!

Have fun,

Jeff

Thomas Bennett
09-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I turned a couple of wet ones from this batch of Silver Maple blanks. The "vase-bowl" is about 12 inches wide x 6 or so inches tall. The bowl is about 8 inches across. As they are still wet, there is not finish on them. I'm hoping, and expecting, them to stay very white. I notice sometimes after anchorsealing fresh maple blanks they will discolor. I've had some mold and spalt a little. It makes sense as the sealer traps moisture to some extent. Usually it just adds to the character of the blank or you cut through it.
After a few days the wood surface of these bowls are starting to "texturize" with the curly grain. It gives it a kind of mottled feel that I like.
In the nearby town, there are many streets lined with these maple trees. Most are beyond mature and on the way out. I spoke with a tree-surgeon friend last night and told him to save any of the stumps that are sound. I hope he comes through!

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2010, 5:03 PM
Thomas - congrats on all that beautiful Maple! Love turning the curly stuff!

Good looking bowls! Hope your friend comes through with more maple with curl like this!

Allen Neighbors
09-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Awesome gloat, and some awesome bowls, too! I gotta try that... :D

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2010, 9:11 PM
That is some great looking maple.