PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood

Darin Higginbotham
09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I live on a large lake and see lots of driftwood washed up on shore, my question is.... Can driftwood be turned if it is not too punky, seems to me it would make for some interesting turnings. If so what would be some ideas to keep the originality of the piece?

John Keeton
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Darin, it sure makes some neat bases for turnings - I recall seeing several displays like that.

But, so far as turning - driftwood is likely to be anything - pine, oak, etc., so I would think, in addition to that integrity of the wood, one would have to consider the species as well. Might be neat to leave some of the areas natural in a turning - perhaps a vase??

russell lusthaus
09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I would suggest boiling the driftwood prior to working it to kill any creepy crawlies that are sure to be living in it.

bob svoboda
09-08-2010, 2:33 PM
Be sure it's not impregnated with sand, like the driftwood around here. Really tough on tools. Will dull a chainsaw in a hurry.

Don Geiger
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I've turned several pieces from driftwood.

Below is a photo of a piece that I turned out of Cedar driftwood. It is 22" long and the spherical part is 8" diameter. I call it "Cranial Matters". It was selected by the AAW for the "Four Corners" exhibit in St. Paul and won 2nd place in a Tactile Art exhibit (for the blind) in St. Augustine, FL.

I like to leave a balance of the natural surface and the turned surface on many of my pieces.

Don Geiger
Newberry, FL

Allen Neighbors
09-09-2010, 5:28 PM
I've turned several pieces from driftwood.

Below is a photo of a piece that I turned out of Cedar driftwood. It is 22" long and the spherical part is 8" diameter. I call it "Cranial Matters". It was selected by the AAW for the "Four Corners" exhibit in St. Paul and won 2nd place in a Tactile Art exhibit (for the blind) in St. Augustine, FL.

I like to leave a balance of the natural surface and the turned surface on many of my pieces.

Don Geiger
Newberry, FL
There ya go. 'nuff said!
Awesome work, Don!

Don Geiger
09-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks Allen!

This was the most challenging piece I've turned. It took me several days of effort just to mount it. The original mounting failed as I was turning it. Then I remounted it to complete the job.

Thanks again!

Don

There ya go. 'nuff said!
Awesome work, Don!