PDA

View Full Version : Router for table without router lift (need above table adj)

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a Lee Valley router table system and have been happy with it, but I'm getting tired of the way you adjust the heigth of the router. I'd like to get a new router with above table adjustment and drill a hole through the steel table for the adjustment rod. A traditional lift is not an option for this table, it has to be a router with its own lift mechanism.

I know Triton has this capability but I was wondering if there are other models that I should consider. This router will only be used for the table.

Thanks,

Roger

Chip Lindley
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Check out Router Raizer. Google it! One hole drilled in your Lee Valley table is all it takes.

Kirk Simmons
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Milwaukee has several models that would work.

glenn bradley
09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Some Freud models were the rage awhile back due to low cost and above the table features. Dad went with the Triton and has been very happy. The larger HP Triton had comprised above the table features at the time he bought, so he went with the 2-1/4 HP unit. The 3+ HP model now sports improved above the table features.

I ran my Milwaukee 5625 without a lift for quite awhile. Like all cam-lock body styles there is some movement when the lock is engaged. I adapted to this by setting my height a shy 64th below what it would become once the lock was engaged. No big deal really. The Woodpecker PRL went on a great sale when the PRL-V2 was announced and I grabbed one. A lift is a different world but, I understand the requirements of your table and it has advantages of its own ;-) The Router Raizer can adapt many plunge body routers so this is also a popular alternative.

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I've got the Freud FT3000VCE and it works great. It's a little slow cranking it up to change the bits, but I think all of these type of router suffer in that regard. A cordless driver or a speed wrench takes care of that issue.

Trent Shirley
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
The Port Cable 890 series (probably others as well) have above table adjustment. As previously mentioned any cam-lock router can suffer movement when locking. I cannot get one of my PC routers to adjust smoothly in it's base for anything. Eventually I may just get a lift for this one also.

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to try the Router Raizer. I have an old Hitachi M12V that still has some years in it if I can get the lift option figured out.

I have invested in the Lee Valley system (fence, right angle sled, etc.) so I'd like to use as much of it as I can. It is a little quirky, but I have been happy with it.

Thanks again,

Roger

James Lord
09-08-2010, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to try the Router Raizer. I have an old Hitachi M12V that still has some years in it if I can get the lift option figured out.

I have invested in the Lee Valley system (fence, right angle sled, etc.) so I'd like to use as much of it as I can. It is a little quirky, but I have been happy with it.

Thanks again,

Roger

I have two router tables. One has the Hitachi M12V with the router raizer. It works great. I also have another table with a Triton 3-1/4hp router installed. It works great also. But I think the Hitachi is a little quieter when running.

Ben Martin
09-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks again,

Roger

Hey, Roger, take the plastic cover off the base of the M12V. If it is like my M12V2 there is a nut on the end of the height adjustment rod, VOILA, built in router lift, you just need to drill a hole in the router plate to get to it.

(Sorry, I realize I am late to this one...)

Van Huskey
09-09-2010, 2:00 AM
I have the big Freud and it is fine BUT for a router when no super sales are going on I feel like the best options far and away are the Tritons. Either one is great just pick your price point and/or HP needs.