PDA

View Full Version : Design Dilema

Michael E. Thompson
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
A local gallery is having a woodturning "contest". I would like to enter a piece but having some "writers block" if you will. The criteria is to utilize two pieces of wood, both 6x6x3. The first piece is to be untouched, in the raw form and the second piece of the same type of wood will be turned. We can only use this one piece of wood but can be cut up and reassembled however we see fit. We cannot change the color of the wood using dyes or any other means that would hide the natural wood.

So I am looking for some ideas from anyone & everyone. My initial thought was a hollow form, but I am have trouble putting that WOW factor into the piece. I did a hollow form from bird-eye maple, slightly spalted last night and is soaking in DNA as we speak, it looks good, nice form, great figure, but I'm not impressed with it. I am stumped as to what to do to make it better. If necessary, I will gladly snap a picture tonight when I pull it from the bath.

Help!!

Mike

Jim Burr
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe a lidded box? You're right...thought process is definitely stimied by those limitations. I like a box because it gives you something to do (open the lid) and another dimention...looking on the inside. Not much help I know, but worth a thought:confused:

Scott Lux
09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
open segmented form? cut the piece into 1x1x1.5 pieces and assemble a hollow form with gaps between the segments?

George Guadiane
09-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I would think that you will need spectacular wood, at the very least... Then, if you can make even a simple hollow form, finished to perfection???
Beyond that, I have a couple of ideas that I'm hoping to have finished in time to submit myself.

I hope you get the idea you need, either way, COMPETE! It's good for us to compete. I learn more when I do something that doesn't work as I do when I get a prize... Sometimes, the thing that I learn best is that I don't have any idea what the judges used for criteria.

Nate Davey
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
No advice on the item to turn as I have no artistic ability what so ever. But to echo what George said, competition tends to make you push the edge of the "envelop" and take design or artistic risks you wouldn't typically make. This, in my experience in other areas, greatly expands your skill set and comfort level. Sounds like a great opportunity. Can't wait to see your results. Good luck.

Sean Hughto
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
6x6x3, sounds like a nice bowl blank. I personally think that well proportioned bowls are no mean feat.

Michael E. Thompson
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Maybe a lidded box? You're right...thought process is definitely stimied by those limitations. I like a box because it gives you something to do (open the lid) and another dimention...looking on the inside. Not much help I know, but worth a thought:confused:

Stymied is a good word. I will consider a box, good idea. My problem with a box is I don't seem to have the eye to get a good looking shape. Maybe this is the opportunity to correct that.

open segmented form? cut the piece into 1x1x1.5 pieces and assemble a hollow form with gaps between the segments?

I have seen those open segmented forms, they are a neat idea. I don't think I could tell you were to start though. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming.

Mike

David E Keller
09-08-2010, 7:05 PM
I just turned an interesting piece that I'll post sometime next week. I turned a HF with a natural, bark opening. The piece was dry ash and full of worm holes. After turning and sanding to 400, I loaded up a wire wheel in the cordless drill and got after the surface. Because of the varying wood density, ash is a great wood for this treatment. The surface has a wonderful visual and tactile quality. I believe that elm also works as do other woods with pronounced differences in the density of the early/late wood.

Good luck and be sure and post your finished piece.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2010, 7:51 PM
Well, cut the 6x6x3 piece in half, then cut the halves into a 2x3x3, 4x3x3, 2.5x3x3, 3.5x3x3. Then turn the 4 rectangles mounted between centers, corner to corner so you end up with 4 bias turned, 3 sided, small round vessels similar to the one in the pic, and mount them randomly on the other 6x3x3.

Michael E. Thompson
09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, cut the 6x6x3 piece in half, then cut the halves into a 2x3x3, 4x3x3, 2.5x3x3, 3.5x3x3. Then turn the 4 rectangles mounted between centers, corner to corner so you end up with 4 bias turned, 3 sided, small round vessels similar to the one in the pic, and mount them randomly on the other 6x3x3.

Curt, I really like this idea. Tell me more, once they are round from center turning, how do you hold on to it for hollowing? Small tenon?

Curt Fuller
09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Curt, I really like this idea. Tell me more, once they are round from center turning, how do you hold on to it for hollowing? Small tenon?

When I turned the one in the picture, I made a small tenon on one end, reversed it and held it with my talon chuck to turn the rest of it, much like you would turn a natural edged piece. Your pieces will be considerable smaller than this so it will require some smaller jaws. I found some more pics of the process, but none with it chucked.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31365

Hope this helps.

Michael E. Thompson
09-09-2010, 8:07 AM
Thanks Curt. I am going to try this. I need to get some smaller jaws. There are so many project I want to do but cannot because I don't have the accessories.

Thanks
Mike