PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max T3 Shaper Question....

Zach Callum
09-08-2010, 9:29 AM
Hello. I am hoping that someone can help me out. I just purchased a used 1984 Mini Max T3. It came disassembled, and it looks like I might be missing something. What exactly is supposed to be at the top of the spindle? I have 4 spacers, and a bolt/washer screwed into the top of the spindle. I am thinking that there is supposed to be something that slides onto the groves at the top of the spindle... If anyone is willing to take some pictures of what the proper setup is supposed to look like, it would be appreciated! Thanks.

Steve Rowe
09-08-2010, 9:42 AM
The newer models have a cap with a couple of nubs that slide into the spindle slots as pictured below. I have also seen some models (not Minimax) that have a washer with nubs that fit the slots. This is important to prevent loosening during operation as the shaper will spin either direction.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Zach Callum
09-08-2010, 9:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Steve! That looks like what I am missing. Hopefully MiniMax will have one of those on-hand. If not, is there anyone else who sells parts and accessories for these old machines?

Peter Quinn
09-08-2010, 9:43 PM
SCMI is pretty decent with parts, and that is a pretty typical part. My Minimax t-40 has the same cap with nubs arrangement. Might even be similar across many models and years. I don't know of any after market source other than a custom machine shop situation. There is a good minimax owners site on Yahoo if all else fails which might be of assistance. Good luck and enjoy that shaper.

Peter Quinn
09-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Here is a link to the T3 manual at the minimax site. Click the download manual tab. It appears the T3 may have used a slightly different top nut scheme than than later models?

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=17&Itemid=39

jason straw
04-07-2012, 1:38 PM
Did you ever get the shaper working? if not i would like to buy a par off it. If you are interested please contact me.
-jason
jasonstrawwoodworker dot com
thanks