PDA

View Full Version : Pay to use a fully stocked workshop

Andrew Pitonyak
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
OK, I never heard of them... and it never occurred to me that such a place exists. But it looks like you can buy time in a fully stocked workshop at this placed buildmoreworkshop.com

Of hand, this appears to be the top level name, so, I expect that this is a one of a kind place (as in they are not anyplace other than Dublin Ohio).

Ummm, OK, anyone ever use such a place? Is it worth it?

I have a small workshop and very little time. I do lack certain equipment so there is a certain appeal. Then again, since I don't own a truck or a trailer, might just be silly...

My Local Woodcraft also has a nice shop.... Hmmm..

Well, I am curious if people use workshops that are not theirs .... And how does it work out for you?

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
There is one near me in Sunnyvale, CA - the Sawdust shop:

http://www.sawdustshop.com/gallery_shop.asp

They have been around for a while now so it looks like they're doing OK. You can get memberships of different lengths - long if you want it to be you permanent shop or short if you just need one of their big machines like the CNC or veneer press.

They also have a store. I bought my Sawstop there.

Roger

Van Huskey
09-08-2010, 12:46 AM
There are two Woodcrafts that still have membership shops, there used to be more. There is one in Maryland and one in Connecticut, they both have as nice or better machines as this one seems to have and they are quite a bit cheaper especially by the month.

One way to look at it is a hobby shop fully outfitted with mid-level (PM, SS, Delta, Jet etc) machines, power tools and hand tools would be EASILY 30,000 new and figure MAYBE a 50% return if you sold them later so $15,000 pays for a lot of time. The issue I would have is how busy and thus how productive I could be at the times I would/could use the shop. For someone without the room or desire/money to outfit a shop from the ground up it could be an excellent deal.

Matthew Hills
09-08-2010, 1:14 AM
Didn't Tommy MacDonald have space in some sort of cooperative workshop? (seem to recall that from one of his early podcasts)

Matt

Andrew Pitonyak
09-08-2010, 7:05 AM
There are two Woodcrafts that still have membership shops, there used to be more.

Interesting.... I did not know that.

The issue I would have is how busy and thus how productive I could be at the times I would/could use the shop.

It would certainly put you on their schedule (ignoring how busy they might be with other things). Looks like this new place sells you a card so that you can clock in and out (and purchase stuff that they have such as hardware and wood).

Anthony Whitesell
09-08-2010, 8:50 AM
A local tool store set up a shop with a gym-style membership. Something along the lines of $279 to join and $279/month when they started. They adjusted prices like any gym does. Then the insurance rates skyrocketed and they were forced to close down and sell the used tools. I'm not sure if there are any others around.

They sound like a great concept for those living in apartments and condos, but where I have access to a full basement, $279/month can buy a lot of tools, parts, and wood.

Robert Walters
09-08-2010, 9:23 AM
There is also 'Tech Shop' http://techshop.ws/

Not specifically woodworking, but they do have a Bridgeport Mill, metal lathe, plasma cutter, laser engraver, cnc routers, welders, electronics, classes, etc.

When I went there to use their mill, I had to take a safety class (about $30) on the mill, and lasted around 30 minutes. I think I paid for a week membership for $100 or so.

The tools and equipment are not necessarily the newest, and in the case of tooling, it may not be a bad thing to "bring your own". All their drill bits were used and abused, went across the bridge to HF and picked up a 135 pc set instead.

It wasn't really local to me, so it's been a while since I've been there, or I think I would check them out on a more regular basis. If you don't have a tool or live in an apartment sorta thing, it's not a bad resource to have around.

If you're not careful, it's an easy place to just chat for 4 hours instead of getting any work done too! They do have internet access as well.

Oh, bring your own safety glasses/goggles/shield, ear plugs, etc. Theirs were scratched and can you say potential for 'pink eye' using shared gear.

Also google for 'Hackers Dojo', it's a new concept where like minded people of all skill levels get together and have a place to work on things, mostly high tech related (computers, programming, internet, electronics, microcontrollers, etc).

http://www.google.com/search?q=hackers+dojo

Trent Shirley
09-08-2010, 9:44 AM
One of the woodworking schools here has a "class" that is pretty much open shop. Bring in your own project idea and the instructor will provide guidance in the steps to complete it using their shop equipment.

Michael MacDonald
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I did this last winter at a local college. They use three or four high school woodshops for evening classes, but it is not much more than shop time--three hours a pop. Must have been about 15 sessions at a total of $250, I think. It was worth it, but the project needs to be small... it was a pain to truck around all that wood each week. And also it was once a week--if you don't have resources at home for the intervening six days, that would be frustrating.

Rob Young
09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
The Kansas City Woodworker's Guild has set up a cooperative shop space. Members in good standing can be qualified to use the shop after a safety orientation, written test (not difficult, but you must pass at 100%) and a liability waiver.

After that we have designated shop times with a "foreman" on hand to look after the equipment and assist with machine setups etc.

There are limits on what you can do in the shop, for example it isn't Kosher to be running reclaimed pallet wood through the planer due to the high likelihood for damage to the knives. But we get a lot of people come in to use one or two machines the KCWG shop has they they might not have at home. For example, resawing on a large bandsaw or using a 22" drum sander.

The shop space is also used on a regular basis for classes and speakers/special guests such as Marc Adams, Kelley Mehler, Ben Hobbs and John Wilson to drop some names... ;)

As with any communal shop space there are good things and bad things. It is a work in progress.

Apologies for the funky web site colors. :rolleyes: The site is in near constant flux. The information is there, just sometimes with a little too much added color. ;)

www.kcwoodworkersguild.org

Frank Drew
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
A guy I know uses one in the Washington, DC area and seems happy with the arrangement; they have several of the most common machines and several benches but there still might be a wait during the busiest times, which I imagine are early evenings and weekends.

Will Blick
09-08-2010, 2:59 PM
That "Sawdust Shop" seems quite impressive.... the shop is just OK, but as mentnioned to equip a shop like that is still 30k+ with all the tools, workbenches, hand tools, etc. And what has the most value is the working space...not everyone has space to work...

the membership rates are very reasonable, specially if you are retired and want to work during the day , for $55 a month.... you could not even rent a a tiny workspace for that amount....

But, my guess is, there is simply not enough hardcore wood workers left in this modern era of computers, cheap import furniture, etc. to allow this great concept to proliferate. Also, there is the proximity issue, as good as this is, and I woud join in a hearbeat, but if the drive is an hour each way, forget it.... hence why you need a dense population of ww's to make this work..

great thread....

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 3:30 PM
Perhaps hard-core woodworkers aren't the target for this. Those folks will fill their garage with equipment and go it alone. I have looked in the Sawdust shop and see a number of father/sons and young folks doing stuff for the first time. It is an effective way to see if you enjoy woodworking before you start spending serious money ($30K is serious money to me!).

At least in the SF Bay Area, owning your own dwelling with a garage/workspace is out of reach for many people so this may be their only option.

Roger

Prashun Patel
09-08-2010, 4:01 PM
I think it's great while yr ramping up. You can have access to larger tools and try them before you purchase.

The only downsides I'd see are: how crowded is it? Do you have to sit around for 45 minutes for a 10 minute session on the planer? Are you charged for that wait time?

Also, where do you store stuff?

Tell ya what I'd pay for: a HAND TOOL workshop like this. One that's outfitted with the best planes and chisels and shaves and all those tools whose only purpose is to do one specific thing and a guy who's only job is just to sharpen and tune them properly all the time.

Jamie Buxton
09-08-2010, 4:05 PM
I think of these places as shops for people who don't have garages. Folks who live in condos and apartments don't have space to set up a wood shop.

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 4:29 PM
I haven't spent any time in the shop - just walked around a couple of times. They don't seem too crowded and you can also rent lockers for your stuff if you don't want to carry it home until you're done.

Roger

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2010, 4:56 PM
If you have a local community college/tech school (and the tuition rates haven't got nuts like they have in Alabama), tuition is a pretty cheap way to get 3 months of access to a well equipped shop. Just make sure the instructor is cool with you using the "lab" and not attending classes. Friend of mine's father used to take Body Shop classes now and again just to use their frame straightener and paint booths.

Matt Day
09-08-2010, 5:16 PM
I don't think I'd use a service like that except for a one time use on a big machine I don't have like a drum sander or larger planer. One of the main pleasures I get from my shop is being able to go down there for hours at a time, or when I have 15 minutes in between things. Either way it gives me a lot of happiness, and driving to and from a shop would take away from that.

But that being said, I understand some people can't have a basement shop or garage shop. If I was one of those people, I might look into it.

Terry Urton
09-08-2010, 5:57 PM
I work out of a very small shop and would love access to large equipment that I would not use all the time. Too bad its a little to far of a drive for me or I would use it.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-08-2010, 6:38 PM
First, I think that you cannot store your stuff there, so, haul it in, do something, and haul it out. For me, I think that something like say access to a jointer might be useful.

Have to agree with this part.... Especially with someone sharpening all the time.

Tell ya what I'd pay for: a HAND TOOL workshop like this. One that's outfitted with the best planes and chisels and shaves and all those tools whose only purpose is to do one specific thing and a guy who's only job is just to sharpen and tune them properly all the time.

Jacob Mac
09-08-2010, 6:41 PM
Let's face it, this can be an expensive hobby to get going. Especially if you go the power tool route. So a shop like you described could be a great way to ease into the hobby without dropping a large amount of money.

I belonged to the KC Guild last year, and their shop is a great idea. I live too far away to use it, for now, but it is a great time/cost saver. If I'm lucky, I can knock out 3-4 decent sized projects a year. That just is not enough volume to justify having certain tools. It is a great idea, if it fits your needs.

Roger Jensen
09-08-2010, 6:52 PM
I don't know about the others, but it looks like the one in Sunnyvale has different storage options, from lockers for your personnal tools to cages where you can leave things you are building. They have a description on their web site.

Again, I don't think their objective is to have everyone sell their tools and do woodworking in their shop. They are just providing an option to those that have no where else to do it.

Roger

Mike Archambeau
09-08-2010, 7:13 PM
I have used the shop in CT. Two Sawstop tablesaws, one setup with crosscut sled and dado, the other setup for ripping. Delta 8 inch jointer. Delta 15 inch planer (complete with nasty snipe which could easily be adjusted out with a little oufeed roller adjustment). Kapex miter saw.
Lots of Festool equipment. Some 14 inch bandsaws. Bench dog router tables. OK dust collection (single stage with bags). Lots of workbenches.

You can build your project there. Some of the shop managers are very helpful and some are grumpy old men (did I mention some were grumpy)

I would recommend it if you don't have your own shop already.

Steven Hsieh
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
At Cerritos college, they have a lab where there is no lecture, just do whatever you like in the shop. But you are limited to 4.

If Sawdust shop extend their shop to LA area, It would be great.

john davey
09-09-2010, 1:54 PM
I took a class at the Rockville MD Woodcraft several years ago. they had memberships there then. There did not seem to be any waiting while I was there. Of course the class people waited but the others in the shop seemed to be able to use any machine they wanted when they wanted to.

I have several times looked at my crowded basement and wondered why I don't just join there and have all them tools at my disposal. And quite frankly now that I have a truck to move the wood I don't know why I don't. I guess I like my old tools to much.

Mike Heidrick
09-09-2010, 2:56 PM
Champaign, IL has CUWoodshop Dream Shop. It is a $10K buy in and you are part of teh business that is also a rockler distr. They have teh shop stocked with all kinds of tools but no euro or huge tools shy of a 20" General Bandsaw. They have drum sander but no widebelt. It is awesome to me because they have 5 different cabinet saws setup for potential customers to see. Only place I have seen teh general 350, 650, all three sawstops, new unisaw, Jet cabinet saw, and a PM2000 all powered and ready to be used under one roof. Great business idea to me. I am not trading my shop for theirs though!!

Paul Johnstone
09-09-2010, 3:50 PM
OK, I never heard of them... and it never occurred to me that such a place exists. But it looks like you can buy time in a fully stocked workshop at this placed buildmoreworkshop.com

Well, I am curious if people use workshops that are not theirs .... And how does it work out for you?

I have used Buildmoreworkshop.. it was great. The guy had a CNC that could cut steel for me. I will use him again when the need arises. It's a great resource, and I expect it to save me money for "one off" jobs..

I have a fully stocked workshop, so I am probably not going to use it for woodworking.. but a place like this would've been a dream when I was in college or just married.

I hope the guy has success.

bob alexander
09-09-2010, 3:59 PM
NC State has a woodworking shop in their Arts and Crafts Center that folks can use for a very reasonable fee which varies according to your status as a student, senior, etc. but usually covers the use of the shop for one school term. If you take a class the shop is included. All users must first pass an orientation class which emphasizes safety. I never used the shop as I am one of those people blessed with a shop at home.