PDA

View Full Version : HSS Steel

Paul Douglass
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I am playing at making a few hollowing tools. I have some HSS Steel bits that I would like to cut in half. Any way to do it without special tools? These are the square type.

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Just score all four sides, put 'em in a vise, and snap them off.

Harlan Coverdale
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
You can score each of the four sides with the corner of your grinding wheel. Doesn't have to be deep, just enough to see the score. Then hold the bottom half in a vise and snap the other half off with a pair of pliers. It works like a charm. Do wear eye protection, though.

Paul Douglass
09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Thank you, I will give it a try.

neil mackay
09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
if you have a 4" grinder, go buy some super thin cutting wheels, they are around 1/16 thick. They will cut it just fine.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=130615

John Keeton
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I have found that scoring one side of the stock, clamping it close in the vise, and a quick whack with a hammer will snap it easily.

Nathan Hawkes
09-08-2010, 3:48 PM
Ditto the scoring and snapping method. Make sure and dress your grinding wheel before attempting so that you have a nice crisp edge. This way you waste less of the bit. 1/16" deep grooves in 2 sides (or 4 if you want) is about all you need if you have a vise; just do like John Keeton suggested. Most important is to really have a very firm grip, and keep your fingers clear of the wheel!

Peter Hay in Aus
09-08-2010, 6:47 PM
I support Neil, I have never been a user of the edge or corner of a grinding wheel for any purpose but do use a four inch grinder and the thin cutting disks for all tool steel cutting. The lottery of striking a dangerous blow to make a deliberate break can have disastrous consequences.

Also the cut off black wheels on a Dremel will also provide an exceptional cut in Tool Steel.

Have success works safely for me.

Regards Peter.

John Keeton
09-08-2010, 6:55 PM
Peter, good comments. Perhaps I should clarify. I don't use my sharpening grinder to score the HSS. I use an angle grinder with a 4" wheel in it that is used for sharpening my bush hog blades, etc. It just takes a touch. And, when I snap the HSS in a vise, a very light tap with the hammer is all that is required. Not much in the way of danger factor, but obviously eye protection is in order.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 7:36 PM
"...clamping it close in the vise, and a quick whack with a hammer..."

Just be sure that when you do that, that the piece that goes flying when you whack it does not land in a pile of sawdust! Of course, if you keep your shop like "some people", there will be no piles of sawdust. Even so, the piece could skitter under something but, one way or another, according to "Murphy's Law", you will never find it again until one day in the distant future when you are moving or something...

Paul Douglass
09-08-2010, 9:07 PM
"...clamping it close in the vise, and a quick whack with a hammer..."

Just be sure that when you do that, that the piece that goes flying when you whack it does not land in a pile of sawdust! Of course, if you keep your shop like "some people", there will be no piles of sawdust. Even so, the piece could skitter under something but, one way or another, according to "Murphy's Law", you will never find it again until one day in the distant future when you are moving or something...

Ha, been there done that! I have some cut off wheels for my Dremel. I will give that a try for the scoring. Thank you everyone.