PDA

View Full Version : Consumer HVLP systems brands and models

Cesar Vega
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi,

Which are the more common brands of HVLP systems for the consumer?

I've seen a lot Wagner and Earlex.
Is there any other brand carrying inexpensive HVLP systems?

Now, I'm trying to figure out the bare minimum for a weekend hobbyist.

From Wagner, I think the Control Spray Plus is the minimum since it's the one that can spray lacquer, varnish, poly, etc.

From Earlex, I'd like to think that the HV3500 Spray Station is the one.

Now, for some reason, the Earlex system looks to me like a little bit more "serious" than the Wagner model. Though, Wagner include both a big plastic and a metalic cup. (may be it's just the grey color).

There's a also that famous Rockler/Woodcraft, but right now there's a post from someone having problems with that system.
Also, I found out that it must be a very cheap Chinese import since I've found that rebranded at least in a couple of places:
http://www.adir.com.mx/web/kitHVLP.html
http://www.goni.us/para_carpinteria_y_ebanisteria_1090.html
Is the same, right?
Since it's in the same range of price of the other two with a brand, I don't see a point of considering this one.

What do you think?

Prashun Patel
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I am the one with the Rockler cheap HVLP. I opened the flow a little and it sprayed lacquer fine. It's very low maintenance, pretty quiet; light. I've found it very easy to use.

However, I hear a lot of great things about the Earlex units.

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
There is another thread about a $70-$80 unit from HF. Seems to work well...

Curt Harms
09-09-2010, 8:03 AM
I have one of these and haven't used it much but here's my impression from limited use. This is the only turbine HVLP unit I've used so I can't compare it to other turbine HVLP setups.

It produces a lot of air compared to the Porter Cable PSH1 I had been using. With the PC I was using newspapers laid down loose as a drop cloth. That didn't work with the Earlex, I had to put weight on them or spring clamps to hold them down. The Earlex will spray "latex", actually acrylic enamel thinned about 5-10%. It does have pressure feed which likely helps. The nozzle is 3 position. Horizontal fan, vertical fan or round. Glen Huey said in an article that it's possible to adjust the size of the pattern by adjusting the nut holding the air cap in place. Melissa from Earlex verified it. I cannot get it to work, my fan seems to stay about the same regardless of where the nut is on the threads. Perhaps I misunderstand something. For spraying narrow items (I was spraying a trellis) the round setting seemed best.

Summary- I feel like I can get a finer job with the P-C PSH 1 than I can with the Earlex. Not to say the Earlex is awkward or hard to control. Likely if I use it more I'll get better with it. The big advantage of the Earlex is portability and no need for a larger compressor. In spite of the large volume of of air with the Earlex, there was very little or no paint in that air. OTOH the Porter Cable PSH 1 is no air hog. Nice gentle fine mist. I have an oilless campbell hausfeld "2 h.p." rated 6.8@90 8.6@40 with 15 gal. tank compressor which runs the PSH 1 nicely. There are probably better LVLP guns out there than the PSH1. Both types have their strengths and weaknesses.