PDA

View Full Version : Removing nails shot from air guns.

Dave Lehnert
09-07-2010, 9:04 PM
I make fretwork clocks on the scrollsaw. I use a 5/8" 23ga Senco air nailer to hold things togather as the glue sets up. I use 1/4 cherry to make the clocks.
As luck will have it, the last nail shot missed it's target and sticks out the other side. The nail exposed is right up against the part it was to sink into.
Most often I use a little cut off wheel on my Dremel tool to snip them off. Tricky because if you slip, you gouge the wood. Hard to get it flush.

Anyone have any tricks on an easy way to remove the nail?

Karl Brogger
09-07-2010, 9:19 PM
For a micro pinner, a set of needle nose vice grips, and a pry bar works the best for me. Clamp down on the nail, pry against the vice grip

Dave Lehnert
09-07-2010, 9:25 PM
For a micro pinner, a set of needle nose vice grips, and a pry bar works the best for me. Clamp down on the nail, pry against the vice grip

Are you pulling the nail through the wood or out the way it went in?

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 9:30 PM
With a pinner I pull through the wood, usually the other end is buried in the wood. If both ends of the pin are exposed go the way that seems the least "dangerous".

Tom Ewell
09-07-2010, 9:50 PM
Can't you just break them off?

Most times, if you can get purchase, wiggle them back and forth and they break off just below the surface.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Pull through wood, pull backwards out of finger.

ken gibbs
09-08-2010, 8:02 AM
Remember Johnie Cash's standard "There ain't no easy way"? Use needle nose pliars, a tack hammer, inifinate patence, and a good wood filler. Prepare to throw hammers and to cuss a lot.

Jason Roehl
09-08-2010, 8:18 AM
Even the 16- and 18-gauge fasteners are pretty easy to pull through a piece of wood. I use end-nips because with light squeezing pressure on them, they'll cut a little ways into the nail/brad/pin and get a very good grip that way. Plus the rounded ends don't damage the surface of the wood; for extra protection, you could apply a piece of tape or hold a very thin piece of wood under the fulcrum of the nips.

Harold Burrell
09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
If you really need to get the nail, the easiest method (by far) is to set the wood on fire...and then extract the nail from the ashes with a magnet.

:p

Feel free to pretend I didn't say that.

Jim Rimmer
09-08-2010, 1:21 PM
If you really need to get the nail, the easiest method (by far) is to set the wood on fire...and then extract the nail from the ashes with a magnet.

:p

Feel free to pretend I didn't say that.
Harold, you are in really good form today. :D Are you bucking for Mitchell's position?

Harold Burrell
09-08-2010, 4:32 PM
Harold, you are in really good form today. :D Are you bucking for Mitchell's position?

Mitchell is my father.

OK...I'm kidding.

As far as I know.