PDA

View Full Version : Samsung TV fix.

Rich Stewart
09-07-2010, 6:14 PM
I have a Samsung flat screen LCD TV. Having trouble with it coming on, looked around on the internet and found the problem. A couple capacitors domed and leaking black stuff. I was able to take it apart and get the board out. Went to Radio Shack and was unable to find the capacitors i need. The two that were leaking were 2200 MFD 10V 105degree C. Anybody got a source for them? I looked online and I find ones that look right, but are 85 degree C. Is this ok? Does the capacitor i put in have to be the exact same MFD as the one I took out?

Thanks for your help.

Pat Germain
09-07-2010, 6:23 PM
Not surprised you didn't find capacitors at Radio shack. All I see at Radio Shack these days is cell phones, computers and toys. How do they stay in business?

I wish I knew of a good source for semiconductors. I doubt there's much of a market these days as almost nothing is serviceable. However, large capacitors are used for speaker crossover networks. And many people still build enclosures for home speakers and vehicles. You might try an auto sound web site.

As I recall from my electronics training from many years ago, it would be a good idea to install the same "microfarad" capacitors. Manufacturer should not make a difference. I would be concerned about toasting whatever board the capacitors are sitting in when you unsolder and resolder. Definitely use a large heat sink to be safe.

Jason Roehl
09-07-2010, 8:22 PM
Rich, I've done this repair on my Samsung LCD. The first time, I just order a new power supply board (~$100). Then it went out again, so I took my chances with the original board and soldered in 4 new capacitors.

As for the capacitor specs, the capacitance is important, so you do need to find some that match the 2200 uF of the original. Temperature rating should also be the same or greater. Voltage can be greater. I think the ones I put in were 35V even, and I've heard that going to a higher voltage rating potentially gives them less chance of blowing.

My bro-in-law, an electrical engineer/project manager for Panasonic's fluorescent lighting division, suggested that I go back and clean the circuit board with some alcohol in case the electrolyte from inside the capacitors got all over and started to eat other components. Uhh...haven't done that yet...oops. He mentioned it because they had a huge problem with a model of light with a very high failure rate and they eventually traced it back to a faulty capacitor from a certain supplier leaking onto other components, causing them to fail.

Greg Peterson
09-07-2010, 9:23 PM
This may help. Link (http://www.electronicsic.com/capRA.htm). They are listed as high temperature radial electrolytic capacitors.

Rob Steffeck
09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Not surprised you didn't find capacitors at Radio shack. All I see at Radio Shack these days is cell phones, computers and toys. How do they stay in business?

I remembered this article from The Onion. It should answer your question:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/

Sean Troy
09-08-2010, 8:59 AM
http://www.samsungparts.com/Default.aspx

Dan Friedrichs
09-08-2010, 9:19 AM
As for the capacitor specs, the capacitance is important, so you do need to find some that match the 2200 uF of the original. Temperature rating should also be the same or greater. Voltage can be greater. I think the ones I put in were 35V even, and I've heard that going to a higher voltage rating potentially gives them less chance of blowing.

Not really true. At this size, they are likely just filter capacitors, so more capacitance doesn't hurt anything (it helps, actually). A higher voltage rating doesn't really reduce the chances of blowing, either - these generally explode (like, literally EXPLODE) if you overvoltage them, but they just leak electrolyte if they get too hot. So in this case, they likely just got too hot or were not specified correctly when manufactured.

Here's the replacements you're looking for:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Electronic-Components/ECA-1AHG222/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22be70OeCKE1Evy7zilRaOVA%3d

A whole $0.43/each.

You should check that the physical dimensions of those are correct (will they physically fit in the space provided? These are listed at 10mm diameter by 20mm tall). If they don't fit, here's a list of 49 other ones that match the capacitance, voltage, and temperature spec:
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Leaded/_/N-75hqw?P=1z0wqutZ1z0t6fnZ1z0ju2xZ1z0z7l5

Finally, if you want to spend a few more cents, you can get these which are rated for 125C:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UBT1A222MHD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22ThEfR5lzZmm8vtRDFkah/U%3d

Mouser.com sells virtually any electronic part you need, in small quantities, and has very reasonable shipping. If you don't like those, you can also buy in small quantities from digikey.com (although their online part selector is much poorer) or newark.com.

Dan Hintz
09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I really wish DigiKey would take a note from Mouser's search engine design notebook...

Brian Elfert
09-08-2010, 8:53 PM

The Radio Shack in Downtown Minneapolis (City Center) used to (maybe still does) sell cell phones and prepaid cell cards by the boatload. Every time I went in there I had to wait in behind a half dozen folks buying cell phones. They mostly seemed to sell prepaid phones and cards to reload phones. Hardly anyone bought the rest of the stuff in the store.

I hated going there because it took forever to check out. It takes maybe a minute to check out a regular customer. but a cell phone customer takes upwards of five minutes.

Bryan Morgan
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I miss the old Radio Shack. One of my other hobbies is electronics (guitar effects pedals). My local place used to have an old guy who knew everything about electronics and could always help me with my circuits. Over the years the parts got fewer and fewer until now its just a few drawers full of overpriced crap and snot nose retards trying to sell you batteries and cell phones.

At any rate, Mouser, Digikey, Futurlec... these are places I often order from. I also have a few "real" electronics parts stores near me, although they are very expensive. The Mouser hardcopy catalog is about as big as an average phone book! Problem is, they don't ever seem to have the stuff I want in stock. Digikey is great and ships very fast. Futurlec is my favorite because they are so inexpensive but shipping takes awhile (they are in Thailand).

Take note of the polarity of the electrolytic capacitor... if you wire it up backwards it could pop like a firecracker and make your house smell like the worst dog poop you've ever smelled in your life. Guess how I know? :) I agree with the above. As long as your value and temp rating is good your voltage can be a little higher. The value you listed is actually very common for computer motherboards at 6.3v,10v, or 16v.

The Radio Shack in Downtown Minneapolis (City Center) used to (maybe still does) sell cell phones and prepaid cell cards by the boatload. Every time I went in there I had to wait in behind a half dozen folks buying cell phones. They mostly seemed to sell prepaid phones and cards to reload phones. Hardly anyone bought the rest of the stuff in the store.

I hated going there because it took forever to check out. It takes maybe a minute to check out a regular customer. but a cell phone customer takes upwards of five minutes.

Rich Stewart
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know how it comes out.

James Combs
09-10-2010, 9:45 PM
I had the same problem with my samsung lcd. I replace two caps with some that were of higher voltage rating but the other specs were the same. They were about twice the physical size of the originals but there was plenty of room for them, cost me all of $0.60 each at a local electronics repair house. The guy didn't normally sell to the public but I suppose he felt sorry for me. TV worked fine after the swap BTW.

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2010, 6:49 AM
I replaced one on a Samsung monitor That my SIL gave me about 2 years ago and it is still working out in my shop running my Shopbot.

AL Ursich
09-11-2010, 8:54 PM
This can shed some light on the bad cap problem...

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?

I made a ton of overtime money when I worked at the Philly Sony Service Center when some of the known bad caps made it into 17 and 19 inch CRT Monitors.... I am showing my age.... Old as Dirt...

AL