PDA

View Full Version : Gloat with a Sad Beginning / Sharpening Question

Tim Boger
09-07-2010, 6:11 PM
Hey Folks,

I'll try and be brief here, a friend of a co-worker of mine asked my buddy if he knew a Woodturner that might could use some tools, as luck would have it I was offered the opportunity to go do some "picking" through 50 years and 2 generations of stuff. The first visit was emotional as the fellow that made the offer has a degenerative vision problem that just won't allow him the work in the shop any longer. Once I assured him that anything I received would continue to be used and very much appreciated the picking began .... I picked up perhaps 600 - 700lbs of rough cut Maple about 2/3 of it is 4-5" thick / 8-12" wide and 5-8' long quite rustic with lots of odd inclusions!!! The remainder of the lumber was 2 1/2" thick 6-8" wide and 5-6' curly planks ... maybe 6 pieces.

The tools so far (ran out of time/ daylight loading the wood) was limited to a tote holding 49 Turning Chisels .... about 1/2 are Sorby / 1/4 are other name brands and the balance I could not identify the maker.

I took several pics of the tools to validate the event, and also to ask about a particular tool from New Zealand .... would like to sell/trade it as I think it's part of a modular type of system that I just do have interest in. It's showing some age and I really don't know it's real value. If you're interested in it I have a web site where it was purchased originally.

Also need info on sharpening several of the really large Spindle Gouges (30 and 35 mm) with fingernail grinds which don't fit through my Wolverine Jig.

Thanks for any feedback,
Tim

Matt Ranum
09-07-2010, 6:18 PM
Its sad that things like that have to happen to us, but I know I would feel better about it knowing my tools were going to someone who would love and appreciate them the same way I had. Congrats to you for being one of a select few to gain the trust of this family.

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 6:33 PM
Congrats on the new goodies... It's always sad when someone has to give up something they love, but I, too, would feel better knowing that my tools had gone to someone who would put them to good use.

The woodcut tool is a hollowing tool that works quite nicely. I don't own one, but I did play with one for a while when I was with Jimmy Clewes. Someone else may be able to give you better specifics on the tool.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a larger varigrind that will accept larger gouges. If not, freehand sharpening may be indicated.

Tim Boger
09-07-2010, 6:54 PM
Congrats on the new goodies... It's always sad when someone has to give up something they love, but I, too, would feel better knowing that my tools had gone to someone who would put them to good use.

The woodcut tool is a hollowing tool that works quite nicely. I don't own one, but I did play with one for a while when I was with Jimmy Clewes. Someone else may be able to give you better specifics on the tool.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a larger varigrind that will accept larger gouges. If not, freehand sharpening may be indicated.

Hey David,

Thanks for the info on the Woodcut tool, it's an odd sort of design .... likely because I simply don't yet understand how it works. It's really like nothing I've seen before.

I'll do a search on the Verigrind, included in the tool tote was a set of the Sorby Spindle Gouges 7 pieces total. They all seem to still have the factory grind on them .... either that or the previous owner was quite good at maintaining a consistent edge.

Tim

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 7:09 PM
Tim, you can make your own non-varying "varigrind" to fit the larger tools. Drill a hole of the appropriate size in a block of wood. Use a bolt and piece of metal to hold the tool flat. Insert a dowel at a 30 degree angle, as the leg. If you need me to, I can post a pic of a smaller one I made for my traveling system. Congratulations on the windfall!!

Tim Boger
09-07-2010, 7:24 PM
Tim, you can make your own non-varying "varigrind" to fit the larger tools. Drill a hole of the appropriate size in a block of wood. Use a bolt and piece of metal to hold the tool flat. Insert a dowel at a 30 degree angle, as the leg. If you need me to, I can post a pic of a smaller one I made for my traveling system. Congratulations on the windfall!!

Hi Allen,

I think I have seen something similar. I would appreciate a pic if you have one convenient .....

How do you determine the length of the leg?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 7:48 PM
This is it. Mine is made for 1/2" and smaller. You can increase the size of the hole for the tool, and make it for anything.
I also suggest a larger dowel for the leg... I had to beef mine up.
You can set the angle of the leg to fit the grind you like. Mine is set at 30 degrees for the standard grind.

Tim Boger
09-07-2010, 8:06 PM
This is it. Mine is made for 1/2" and smaller. You can increase the size of the hole for the tool, and make it for anything.
I also suggest a larger dowel for the leg... I had to beef mine up.
You can set the angle of the leg to fit the grind you like. Mine is set at 30 degrees for the standard grind.

Thanks Allen, sure looks simple enough!

Ryan Baker
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I suggest you hang onto the Woodcut tool for a while and learn to use it. They are quite nice toolsonce you learn a few quirks. It's a more modern version of the classic hook tool (think of it as a gouge with the handle position moved 90 degrees), and is great for hollowing. Ring tools like the Oneway termite are a similar category. The difference here is that the brass piece is a shield that limits the amount of cutter that is exposed, so you can prevent it from digging in and control its aggressiveness. This kind of tool can hog wood out of a form faster than you can believe while leaving a clean, smooth surface behind.

That said, the cutter in your picture doesn't look like the current Woodcut cutter head. It has a different cutter design. I wonder if this is the older Exocet tool -- I don't remember exactly what the cutter looked like on that one.

Tim Boger
09-10-2010, 6:44 AM
I suggest you hang onto the Woodcut tool for a while and learn to use it. They are quite nice toolsonce you learn a few quirks. It's a more modern version of the classic hook tool (think of it as a gouge with the handle position moved 90 degrees), and is great for hollowing. Ring tools like the Oneway termite are a similar category. The difference here is that the brass piece is a shield that limits the amount of cutter that is exposed, so you can prevent it from digging in and control its aggressiveness. This kind of tool can hog wood out of a form faster than you can believe while leaving a clean, smooth surface behind.

That said, the cutter in your picture doesn't look like the current Woodcut cutter head. It has a different cutter design. I wonder if this is the older Exocet tool -- I don't remember exactly what the cutter looked like on that one.

Good morning Ryan,

Thanks for your input, as I have plenty of challenges already in my woodturning hobby I would just as soon sell the tool.

If you would be interested, $35.00 shipped to you.

Thanks,
Tim

Dick Strauss
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Tim,
It looks like half the cutter ring is broken off the Woodcut tool. Is this just an optical illusion? I think it is supposed to have a closed cutter ring like the Oneway Termite with a bottom metal "spoon" that is supposed to control the depth of cut.

Tim Boger
09-10-2010, 3:25 PM
Tim,
It looks like half the cutter ring is broken off the Woodcut tool. Is this just an optical illusion? I think it is supposed to have a closed cutter ring like the Oneway Termite with a bottom metal "spoon" that is supposed to control the depth of cut.

Hey Dick,

Not having seen another tool up close I would have to agree with your observation, there may very well need to be a replacement part required.

I would think $35.00 shipped would still be a fair deal for the tool, please let me know if you have a different opinion.

Thanks for your comments,
Tim

Neil Strong
09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
...the cutter in your picture doesn't look like the current Woodcut cutter head. It has a different cutter design. I wonder if this is the older Exocet tool -- I don't remember exactly what the cutter looked like on that one.

The current Pro-Forme model looks like this one (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodcut-power-head). The one you have is an earlier model (BTW it's upside down in your picy) and is missing its Shepid Loop Cutter, but you can buy replacement cutters, here (http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/product.php?xProd=91&xSec=21). I have one of those earlier models, but don't use it anymore. The new Pro-Forme which clears the chips more readily is a better design, IMO.

Tim Boger
09-11-2010, 6:17 AM
The current Pro-Forme model looks like this one (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/woodcut-power-head). The one you have is an earlier model (BTW it's upside down in your picy) and is missing its Shepid Loop Cutter, but you can buy replacement cutters, here (http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/product.php?xProd=91&xSec=21). I have one of those earlier models, but don't use it anymore. The new Pro-Forme which clears the chips more readily is a better design, IMO.

Thanks Neil, I had visited the website but had not noticed either the new cutter heads or for that matter that I had the tool upside down in my pic.

Appreciate you're pointing those facts out to me.

If you might be interested I will sell it as is .... $20.00 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Tim

Neil Strong
09-12-2010, 4:06 AM
If you might be interested I will sell it as is .... $20.00 plus shipping.

Thanks for the offer Tim. It would be good value if I needed another one, but I don't think I would get the use from it given that I already have one and tend to use the Rolly Munro hollower anyway.

Ryan Baker
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Good morning Ryan,

Thanks for your input, as I have plenty of challenges already in my woodturning hobby I would just as soon sell the tool.

If you would be interested, $35.00 shipped to you.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,
I have a couple of the new style Pro-forme tools, so I don't have much need for it myself. Still, that's a good deal, even with the cost of a new cutter. Somebody should take you up on it.

Ryan