PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Top

Mike Willeson
09-07-2010, 5:30 PM
I've been playing around a little bit with Christmas ornaments and have started to think about how one might make a tree topper to go along with a set of ornaments.

Has anyone done any of these? Pictures or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 6:50 PM
I've never considered a tree topper, but you've got the gears turning now. The funnel shape to fit over the top of the tree would be pretty straight forward, but I would think weight would be a consideration. Something light weight like boxelder, cottonwood, or buckeye might be good. Not sure how to do the top of it... stars are hard to turn.:D Perhaps a finial?

I'm interested to see if others have done something like this.

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 7:27 PM
I agree with David, about the weight...
If I were going to try a tree topper, I'd probably try to do some sort of ball, turned inside/out, with a nice tall finial (if I could turn one) on top, and a very light-weight funnel to slip over the tippy-top.

Jim Underwood
09-07-2010, 7:36 PM
You could check out Nick Cook's Angel, it's base is hollow and could be used for a tree topper.

Mike Willeson
09-07-2010, 8:40 PM
You could check out Nick Cook's Angel, it's base is hollow and could be used for a tree topper.

Thanks Jim. That's what I had in mind. I saw a picture here on the creek of an ornament and thought it could be converted to a tree topper...

...now, however, I will have to think of a new design. I was hoping to come up with an original concept, but I realize the picture I saw swayed me too much.

Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Mike

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2010, 9:00 PM
I never made a topper either, but agree with Allen that a thin walled ball and icicle with a thin hollow base would be the best, the angels are too much unbalanced I would think with the wings on the back side, but it would depend a bit on the top tip's sturdiness of course.
Here are the Angels I made some years ago, (and shown in the WC ornament gallery for some years) and a couple ornaments as well.
160670 160671 160672

Curt Fuller
09-07-2010, 9:01 PM
I don't have a very good photo, but if you look at the top of the tree in the second photo from this link there's a topper I made last Christmas. It has two hollow globes, a larger one on the bottom and a smaller one above that. It has a hollowed cone that fits into the bottom globe and slides over the top of the tree. Then there's some spindle work between the two globes and a pointy spindle sticking out of the top of the upper globe.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125665