PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Good Deal On Trend Airshield Pro?

Jeff Paxton
09-07-2010, 5:10 PM
I have been leaning toward upgrading my Triton Air Respirator. My Triton is around 3 years old, and works fine, but in checking out the Trend Airshield Pro, I am attracted to the convenience of what appears to be an easy on and off system, without hoses, much like a faceshield but with dust protection. I have read many of the posts here about it, and I think it would be right for me. I don't think I can pull the trigger on a 3M at around $800.

Packard Woodworks has the Trend Airshield Pro with a Package deal at $399. I think you get the Pro, extra battery and charger with the package. It ends on 9-30-10, so I need to decide soon. Is that a good deal or does anyone know of one better. I thought I might sell my Triton and offset the cost a little bit as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tony De Masi
09-07-2010, 5:15 PM
Jeff, I was in my local Woodcraft yesterday and they had the same package for the same price, $399. I would just get busy with your Google Machine and check around for anything better, including the shipping.

HTH.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2010, 5:18 PM
Jeff - if you have decided on the Pro - then I would suggest checking out enviro safety products: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/trend-airshield-trend-air-shield.html

William Hutchinson
09-07-2010, 7:14 PM
Jeff,

After having a toxic skin reaction from turning cocobolo, I decided on the Trend Airshield Pro. There was a recent battery sale for $9- which I bought several. Amazon had the Airshield with a charger carriage for a decent price. I've been satisfied using it and a charged battery will last most of the day. There is a hum from the fan and a cool breeze across your face. It did take my neck getting adjusted to carrying the weight for extended hours- I can wear it now and not notice it.

It a good dust unit, the next step up are the air purifiers (PAPR) units.

Greg Just
09-07-2010, 7:33 PM
I have had the Trend Airshield Pro for about a year now. Got it on sale plus an extra discount from Sear.com. Yes - Sears. I paid less than $300 and have never seen it that cheap again. I'm happy with it, but those faceshield liners are a pain to install.

Harold Aaron
09-07-2010, 7:54 PM
Sears has the AirShield on clearance for $229.

http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00988351000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2010, 7:58 PM
Sears has the AirShield on clearance for $229.

http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00988351000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

That is the regular Trend and not the pro.

Jeff Paxton
09-07-2010, 9:19 PM
How often do you have to change the filters? Can you take them off and blow them off with an air compressor? That is what I do with the Triton external filters and it really helps.

Also, are any of the other accessories i.e. visor overlay worth getting?

Alan Zenreich
09-07-2010, 9:47 PM
I bought my AirShield Pro from Sean at ToolNut (more than a year ago)... worth giving him a call... his was a very good price.

Greg Just
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
How often do you have to change the filters? Can you take them off and blow them off with an air compressor? That is what I do with the Triton external filters and it really helps.

Also, are any of the other accessories i.e. visor overlay worth getting?

I just clean my filters. The overlays protect the face shield from scratches. They run $3 each and a new replacement plastic face shield is about $35. Guess how I know.

dennis kranz
09-08-2010, 1:54 AM
Whats the differance between the airshield and air pro.
is it worth the extra money?
Dennis

Josh Bowman
09-08-2010, 7:02 AM
Dennis, take a look at this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146642

Basically the difference is the Pro has a helment and seems to be a more efficient filtering system. The Pro's filters are 2 sock filters and the orignal is a single rectangular filter in the forehead of the unit. You can charge the batteries in place on the Pro, you have to take them out of the original.
Give Phil Evans a shot at P&R distributing. See what he will do. He's a wood worker and NEW turner. He's been using these rigs for years in his chicken houses. I'm not connected with Phil, envio safety gave me his number so I could get more information on the units.

Greg Muller
09-08-2010, 4:38 PM
Hmmmm. Does the Pro have an organic filter option? CA fumes put me out of commission for days...

Alan Zenreich
09-08-2010, 5:27 PM
Greg,

No it does not.

Jake Helmboldt
09-08-2010, 8:10 PM
Whats the differance between the airshield and air pro.
is it worth the extra money?
Dennis

Dennis, the fit is quite different as well. I've not used either, but I've tried them both on. The Pro is much better balanced and I'm guessing would be much more comfortable during a long turning session. Maybe someone that has used both can confirm?

Josh Bowman
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I got to try both for a couple of weeks. I found the Pro heavier, but balanced. The battery is in the back of the top, the fan is in the middle and the sock filters are on either side. I've worn a hard hat for years and found it slightly more "wobbly" or top heavy than my hard hat. The shield is sealed to your face with a nylon material that goes under you chin, over the ears and behind you head at the back hair line (Except for Steve S's hairline:D). To charge you just plug the unit into the charger, no need to remove the battery.
The original is lighter, but more front heavy. It does not have a hard hat, so the motor, battery and filter is all up front. It's filters are rectangles of filter material. It has a course filter and more dense filter in series. The face shield is sealed to you face with a neoprene like material. The fan blows well. The unit can use 1 or 2 battery packs. They have to be removed to charge. A matter of just lifting the filter hood and unplugging the battery(s).
Both seem durable, but not bullet proof, I would take it off and toss it. I did buy the Pro, after trying both and like it very much. As I posted in the previous review, the Pro reduced a mist atmosphere from 8500 parts per million to 100 parts per million, where the Original reduced the same atmosphere to 300 ppm. Compared to typical PAPR's these are in the ball park. Again I'm just a new wood turner, not a Trend sales person. Steve S. was very helpful in guiding me through this process. I think he owned the Trend Original for a long time. He now has and likes the 3M Airstream.