PDA

View Full Version : SGIA - Las Vegas

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2010, 4:55 PM
I'm not sure if this forum is the best place for my question, but can anyone provide some experience based info on the SGIA Expos. I am going to Vegas on the 15th of October for reasons other than the show, and then discovered that the 15th is the last day for the show. Would it be worth going a day in advance and spending the 15th at the show? Can one cover the floor in one day? I am looking for something specific so that would narrow the field quite a bit. Any advice appreciated!

Joe Pelonio
09-07-2010, 7:10 PM
If you wanted to see everything, one day would not be enough, but you can skip many of the vendors. How many transfer tape, corrugated plastic, vinyl, and laser suppliers do you want to talk to? Last time I went the sign franchise people cracked me up with their spiels to unsuspecting potential suckers.

There were free samples here and there, and always a few new products to see, but I went through the educational sessions and there's a lot more business talk than fun demos. We used to have people doing hand lettering/pinstriping, gold leaf work, airbrushing and other demos of what it seems are becoming lost arts.

If you haven't done (or seen) a vehicle wrap, watching a demo might be interesting.

Belinda Barfield
09-08-2010, 8:06 AM
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I'm looking for one thing in particular. I've been asked to produce a specific product for a local company. I think I know which machine I need to produce the item but I'm not 100% positive. I want to take the item to the show and say to the vendors, "Will your machine do this? If so, show me."

I can skip the tape, plastic, sign franchises, etc.

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2010, 3:30 PM
In that case, a day should do it. Just be careful, they send their slickest salespeople so if they say their machine can do it, get documentation or samples.

Martin Boekers
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
It's a very big show. They were in St. Louis a few years back really amazing.

I think it's definitly worth the time to see at least once. I would get a floor layout in advance though a map it out. Not sure offhand what it costs to
attend, but you might check with one of your vendors and see if they can
get you a comp pass.

Marty