PDA

View Full Version : Burled Oak Vase rough-out

Ken Glass
09-07-2010, 1:50 PM
All,
Here is a Tall vase rough-out from the batch of Burled Oak I got 2 weeks ago. It is 14" tall and 6" across the widest part. It has a lot of figure in it and I liked the Natural Edge top. I thought I had better show it now, since I am not sure I can keep it together, when I am ready to finish turn it. LOL Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
09-07-2010, 3:44 PM
Ken, you are certainly right about the wood!! Fantastic figure and character. The vase seems to have enough intact wood to stay together, but I would think the touch needs to be "gentle!";):D

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 7:06 PM
That's beautiful. I hope it stays together for you. I probably put rubber bands around it or wrap it with cling(or both) when it can time to get to the inside of the form. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished(hopefully still in one piece:eek::D).

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 7:14 PM
Wow! That's a gnarly piece of wood!! Duct tape is our friend... :D

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2010, 8:08 PM
Yes that is a knarly but is a beauty.

Baxter Smith
09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
That is and hopefully still will be a great looking vase when you are done. I like the tape idea!

Robert McGowen
09-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Good luck with that one! It looks like it will be worth it. The way that it is shaped now, I would be tempted to cut off the top where it starts to flair out. That might keep it together better and it looks like it would still be fantastic.

Ken Glass
09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
All,
Thanks for the support and ideas. It is soaking for a few days before I wrap it and start the weigh down. It is some tough White Oak Burl, so hope does spring eternal.

Thomas Canfield
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
You might consider a collar ring out at the end of the large section just below the neck. I used one once made from a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood with a grove for steady rest wheels. The piece I was hollowing was not that drastic, but green and had shrunk away from the glue overnight, so you need to check the glue.

James Roberts
09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow,good luck with that one. I have no suggestions just a deeply held respect for those that try these forms with wood that funky. Gotta say it has some amazing grain and character. Hope it ends well.