PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form and Ash bowl

Bill Hunt
09-07-2010, 1:00 PM
Small (4.5"W X 4"H) spalted black walnut. got a long way to go before I'm a threat to John Keeton. The hole too big but it's a start.

The Ash Salad/popcorn/ice cream? is 10"wX6"d donated to the Mississippi Republican Womens convention as a door prize.
quick photos since the bowl will be gone tomorrow.

both finished with sanding sealer and wipe on Poly, comments and critiques welcomed just ignore my photo taking "lack of ability."

Bill

bob svoboda
09-07-2010, 1:11 PM
I like both pieces Bill. In general, I prefer a continuous curve on a hollow form, but I think you pulled your form off well. Sure is some beautiful wood!

Raymond Heichelbech
09-07-2010, 1:27 PM
A couple of nice looking bowls. Love the grain pattern on both of them.
What did you use to hollow the walnut piece?

Baxter Smith
09-07-2010, 1:28 PM
Very nice work on both Bill. Pretty wood with a nice form and finish!

Bill Hunt
09-07-2010, 2:02 PM
Raymond,Thanks for the comments, I used Mike Hunter tools, shallow swan neck and straight. The hole started out smaller but.....

Bill

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 2:14 PM
Hole size is relative... to what, I don't know. :D It doesn't matter what size the hole is except to you - the turner. I used to try to hollow everything through a 5/8" hole. Now, I prefer a 1" to 2" hole... makes the piece seem to be a little more utile for something besides being a health item for the home.
(health item, being that it collects the dust, so you don't breathe it... [pun intended[)
I think you did very well on both of them... and you may be surprised at the business that donation will bring you. Well done!!

Michael E. Thompson
09-07-2010, 2:18 PM
Both are very nice, but I like the hollow form the most. I am partial to walnut though. I wouldn't be too afraid of a larger opening, I think it looks good as is.

Well done.

John Keeton
09-07-2010, 3:53 PM
Bill, while I like both pieces, I particularly like the hollow form. And, I agree on the size of the hole - there seems to be an obsession with trying to hollow through the smallest hole possible. It seems that the objective is to make the observer wonder how the form was hollowed through that small hole. While that is an admirable goal, I think the better goal is to produce a visually and esthetically pleasing form - and, you have done that.;)

After all, would you prefer an observer query you on how it was hollowed, and after you respond, they put the form down with an exclamation of "Oh, I understand!" and walk away more knowledgeable than before.

Or, have them struck by the intrinsic beauty of a form, and unable to put it down, or walk away without having it for their own.

And, don't worry about 'being a threat!' It would be my desire that each and every woodturner attain the highest level of achievement possible with their turning. There are so many that surpass my abilities, and we are all traveling along the same road - learning as we go.

Karl Card
09-07-2010, 3:57 PM
Both are very nice IMHO. That bowl is DEEP... wow..
I have to ask though how did you make the wipe on poly so shiny?

Ken Glass
09-07-2010, 4:06 PM
Bill,
great bowl and HF. The Spalting on the HF is wonderful. If that is your first HF it sure doesn't show. Good form and the finish look very good too. Great work on both pieces.

David DeCristoforo
09-07-2010, 5:01 PM
First, the hollow form. I really like the shape. The only thing I would prefer would be a bit more of a curve in the sweep from the "hard line" at the transition point to the rim. But I have to say that while the curvaceous shape "typical" of hollow forms is very appealing, I am always enticed more by different shapes and I love "hard line" details. So kudos for trying something different!

As to the bowl, while there is nothing really unique about the form, it is a really nice form, well executed and the grain orientation is brilliant. That really makes it. I would eat popcorn out of that bowl any day!

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 6:55 PM
That's a nice pair of turnings. The ash bowl is beautiful... simply beautiful. I like the HF, and the opening size works for me. Like double D, I like forms that challenge the 'norm'(whatever that is).

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2010, 8:14 PM
Both are really nice pieces. The HF looks really nice and don't worry about the hole. I was told at a demo at the Richmond symposium by pro turner Al Stirt to turn a paper thin bowl, turn a HF thru a 1/2" hole and get it out of your system. I agree with him and don't worry about the hole size. Most of mine are no smaller than 1 1/2".

Bill Hunt
09-07-2010, 8:16 PM
thanks to everyone for your comments they are appreciated. Both of these pieces have laid around my shop for 8 or 9 months. The hollow form was completed but not finished.
The ash was partially done and thrown in a corner. Then thursday I got a call from a friend that had contacted me several months ago and said she needed the door prize on wed. Sept. 8th. Of course I said sure no problem, I was thinking the convention thing was next month so I had to get busy.

the poly finish is 2 coats of Minwax Satin over two coats of sanding sealer then beall buffed and waxed.

Thanks again to all of you, I think I'm about to get the photo posting figured out. If I get too many somebody please let me know.

Bill

David Christopher
09-07-2010, 9:18 PM
Bill, those are two great looking turnings, I like the ash bowl the best

James Combs
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
My vote is for the hollow form but the bowl is a very close second. Great Job!

Robert McGowen
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I like that hollow form. The wood really has a lot going for it. My first hollow form had a 5" hole, so I would say that you are doing just fine. :eek:

Don Alexander
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
awesome pieces the simple shape of the first lets the wood carry the piece and the sharper edge on the transition of the HF IMHO draws the eye to the part of the wood that is the most interesting

to me ,the 2 pieces , while very different from each other, definitely make the most of the pieces of wood