PDA

View Full Version : Shiraz, Please Make the New Grizzly Drill Press With ...

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Grizzly made a drill press with :

No runout at a full 6''of quill travel.

A simple vertical threaded rod and stop with a quick "button thread nut".

A quill lock. I really miss my old drill press with the quill lock.

Any one have other features they would like on a drill press?

Michael Peet
09-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Low speed, <200 RPM, at lowest setting.

Mike

Dan Hintz
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm looking for one with:
1) 6" quill travel (give or take)
2) Low runout at both ends of travel
3) Variable speed (no belts to change, please)
4) Low speed (200ish is good, lower would be better)

Some niceties would be:
5) Stuff mentioned in posts above (and probably below)
6) Accurate laser crosshairs
7) Digital speed display

Dan Friedrichs
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Digital depth gauge. With the motor off, you bring the bit down to the work, and press a "Zero" button - then you have an accurate digital reading of the bit depth.

Also, a counter-weighted table (some sort of pulley in the head, with a counterweight attached to a cable to the table, making it easy to raise and lower the table). Ideally, the counterweight could be put in the column.

John Coloccia
09-07-2010, 1:19 PM
Quill lock is essential. There is no way to lock the quill on my Delta and that's really frustrating.

Gordon Eyre
09-07-2010, 1:25 PM
Quill lock is essential. There is no way to lock the quill on my Delta and that's really frustrating.

What is a quill lock, maybe I don't know what I am missing?

Maurice Ungaro
09-07-2010, 1:29 PM
My Delta 17-968 has:
1) 5" quill travel (give or take)
2) Low run-out at both ends of travel
4) Quill lock*

* a screw that can lock the quill (while it is NOT in motion) any where along its travel in order to establish a depth stop.

Bruce Page
09-07-2010, 1:50 PM
I think you guys really need/want a milling machine...

Eric DeSilva
09-07-2010, 1:56 PM
Also, a counter-weighted table (some sort of pulley in the head, with a counterweight attached to a cable to the table, making it easy to raise and lower the table). Ideally, the counterweight could be put in the column.

Heck, I'd settle for a raising/lowering handle that didn't skim off the excess flesh on my knuckles every turn I go past the cast iron table...

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 1:57 PM
I'm looking for one with:
1) 6" quill travel (give or take)
2) Low runout at both ends of travel
4) Low speed (200ish is good, lower would be better)

Some niceties would be:
5) Stuff mentioned in posts above (and probably below)
6) Accurate laser crosshairs
7) Digital speed display

That is VERY similar to my list, add to it a woodworking specific table.

Basically I want a PM2800 with a low speed at 200rpm or below. I have found several with completely acceptable run-out so that isn't an issue JUST the low speed, everything else about that DP is perferct for what I want.

John Coloccia
09-07-2010, 2:00 PM
What is a quill lock, maybe I don't know what I am missing?

It locks the quill so you can bring it down to a depth and lock it there. Now, I have to move my whole table up and down to lock to get things where I need them. For people like me that use drum sanders and SafT Planers, a quill lock is essential.

Dan Hintz
09-07-2010, 2:01 PM
Basically I want a PM2800 with a low speed at 200rpm or below.
EXACTLY! The only thing that has really kept me from pulling the trigger on one has been the lukewarm review posted several years back and the high 400rpm min speed.

Ryan Hellmer
09-07-2010, 2:14 PM
I have an old rockwell that has almost all these features. Here's my request, made in America. I understand a bit about the import/export business but I would think there is a middle of the road market where folks like me would be willing to pay a little extra (maybe twice as much) for a machine that is accurate and made here in the USA. Seems like somebody with the smarts and resources of Mr. Balolia could figure this infrastructure out. Northfield 12" jointer, $12000, Grizzly 12" jointer $2500. There's some margin there.

Ryan

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 2:21 PM
EXACTLY! The only thing that has really kept me from pulling the trigger on one has been the lukewarm review posted several years back and the high 400rpm min speed.

The only problem I have seen with them personally is the runout at full stroke, this is hit an miss and as I have mentioned before check the runout on the floor and buy that one. BUT they still doesn't solve the low speed issues. I have been monitoring how often I use rpms below 400 and as it sits I plan for a new DP around the beginning of the year, as it sits it may be a PM2800 unless something else comes out (watchin' the new Delta but it isn't variable) since I think I can live with the 400 rpm issue.

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2010, 2:26 PM
I think you guys really need/want a milling machine...

You're right Bruce I've been looking that way. Could you tell us some advantages and any downside for woodworking?

I bet even the Grizzly G1005Z has less runout than any drill press in it's price range, and a REAL quill lock. With a little more RPM's and that table you'd have a great slot mortiser too.

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 2:30 PM
You're right Bruce I've been looking that way. Could you tell us some advantages and any downside for woodworking?

I bet even the Grizzly G1005Z has less runout than any drill press in it's price range, and a REAL quill lock. With a little more RPM's and that table you'd have a great slot mortiser too.

Isn't the quill stroke really short? Not a machinist but thats what I always thought.

Peter Quinn
09-07-2010, 2:34 PM
I want a DP with ALL the features and solidity of an old Bridgeport milling machine, but I want it to cost $900 new and fit in my basement shop without a crane. I want digital VS control, power drive table, power lift mechanism, a complete set of collets, a regular DP chuck, DRO for all X-Y-Z axis movements. Am I asking too much? I really don't care what country it is made in as long as it is made well.

Oh, and none of that nasty green paint on the one for me.:eek: That new white scheme looks nice though!

Andrew Joiner
09-07-2010, 2:45 PM
Isn't the quill stroke really short? Not a machinist but thats what I always thought.

3 5/8" on the Grizzly G1005Z

Zach England
09-07-2010, 3:18 PM
And a cupholder, pretty please.

Maurice Ungaro
09-07-2010, 3:35 PM
And a cupholder, pretty please.

I hear that one is coming out with a mini fridge too!

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 3:51 PM
I want a DP with ALL the features and solidity of an old Bridgeport milling machine, but I want it to cost $900 new and fit in my basement shop without a crane. I want digital VS control, power drive table, power lift mechanism, a complete set of collets, a regular DP chuck, DRO for all X-Y-Z axis movements. Am I asking too much? I really don't care what country it is made in as long as it is made well.

Oh, and none of that nasty green paint on the one for me.:eek: That new white scheme looks nice though!

We don't want much do we? :D

pat warner
09-07-2010, 4:21 PM
Variable speed/3 phase, programable acceleration/deceleration capable (for tapping etc), a flat fixturable table (http://patwarner.com/images/holding_jig.jpg), .0015TIR, lights, foot treddle, 1000 pound casters for quick roll-around, a depth stop for variable thickness (http://patwarner.com/images/quill-stop.jpg)work, Albrecht keyless, a drill caddy, adjustable fences (http://patwarner.com/images/positioner_a.jpg), ad infinitum.

glenn bradley
09-07-2010, 4:22 PM
An optional horizontal position lock to allow raising and lowering the table without losing your drill contact point. Variable speeds from very low to good-n-high (I am OK with 2 or 3 belt positions providing the wide variable speed range like some lathes use), a table that toollessly (is that a word?) tilts left/right and forward/back, outrigger arms on the base for those who don't want to bolt it down or bolt it to a large base.

Oh, and no separate power cord for the light and decent dust control and a foot actuator and . . .

Gary Herrmann
09-07-2010, 5:15 PM
I'll settle for a PM 1200 in good working condition.

Doug Shepard
09-07-2010, 5:44 PM
I'd like most all of the above mentioned features plus built in casters in the base and 2 good quality lights with stiff goosenecks for illuminating the work.

Bill White
09-07-2010, 6:11 PM
Uhhhh? My 1952 Craftsman has a quill lock, no run out, solid as an anvil, cast iron everywhere, gotta change a belt for speed control-so what, lottsa depth-of-cut, cost $125.00 used. I'll live with all the inadequate stuff just to keep an excellent piece of "old arn" in the shop. After all, I'm not a production shop. I've even used it as a vertical end mill.
All the other stuff sound like a CNC machine to me.
Bill
An old fa-t who likes old machines that work, and require input from the operator. :p

Joe Shinall
09-07-2010, 6:48 PM
And can you make it free to SMC members??....

richard poitras
09-07-2010, 6:55 PM
All this information for a great design on a new drill press and still no word from Shiraz…?

Shiraz Balolia
09-07-2010, 7:28 PM
All this information for a great design on a new drill press and still no word from Shiraz…?

Man, no rest for the wicked!

A dream drill press was designed and the information sent overseas months ago. This type of a machine requires very precise machining abilities at the factory so the supplier pool is limited, mostly to milling machine factories.

A thread similar to this is what triggered the new design many months ago.

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 7:37 PM

If anyone is interested here is that thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121904&highlight=shame

If you are interested in why shame was my search term I remembered he mentioned shaming him into building one...

Dan Hintz
09-07-2010, 8:28 PM
A dream drill press was designed and the information sent overseas months ago.
Shiraz,

I know what my typical turn time is on a PCB from idea to board in hand... what do you think the time frame is for such a machine?

Keith Outten
09-07-2010, 8:47 PM
Sounds like a very nice drill press or "Dream Drill Press" if you like the term. On the down side I doubt that any hobby woodworker could afford a machine with these specifications. Zero runout over 6" of travel might be a deal killer :)

Look at the Grizzly Woodworkers Milling machine, it might even be less expensive than the Dream Drill :)

Don Bullock
09-07-2010, 8:51 PM
Man, no rest for the wicked!

A dream drill press was designed and the information sent overseas months ago. This type of a machine requires very precise machining abilities at the factory so the supplier pool is limited, mostly to milling machine factories.

Great news!!! Thanks for listening.:D

Dan Hintz
09-08-2010, 6:32 AM
Keith,

I'm okay with a measurable amount of runout... as long as it's low and specified. I would love to see +/- 2mils... looks like the typical system specs out at +/- 5mils. If one could pick up the PM2800 with a slower min speed (without modification), I'd be pretty happy.

As it is, I'm thinking about picking one up and adding a gear reduction set (manufactured using my soon-to-be-delivered Stinger, of course :D ).

Kevin Groenke
09-08-2010, 7:17 AM

I hope you remembered to include the X-Y tilting T-slotted table with replaceable insert.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/DELTA-Machinery-20-950-rw-90897-155094.jpg

Man, we were lucky to get a 20-950, nothing else is close (for less than $2500)

I was lucky to get a used Wilton a couple weeks back...$325, I wish the table tilted.
http://home.flash.net/%7Edgjco/Wilton/A5816DP.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what Shiraz comes up with.
-kg

Thad McCulloch
09-08-2010, 9:24 AM
Sounds like most of these features are already part of the old Shopsmith I use virtually exclusively as a drill press these days - quill lock, variable speed (w/o changing belts), only about 4.5" of quill travel but since the headstock slides on the ways that could be counted as another 30" or so of adjustability, big table (for a drillpress) with settable angles, and built-in casters. That plus the fact that a couple of quick changes switch it to a horizontal boring machine with all the above features still available makes it pretty useful. Takes up more room than a vertical DP, but if you could find an old one that still works inexpensively, even if it doesn't have all the other parts, it still makes a pretty good DP as long as you have a chuck with it.

Shiraz Balolia
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Shiraz,

I know what my typical turn time is on a PCB from idea to board in hand... what do you think the time frame is for such a machine?

We are way behind schedule on that, so its many months out. It will be a great drill press when it comes out.

Neil Brooks
09-08-2010, 11:12 AM

FWIW, I'd heard rumor that -- in addition to participating, here -- he runs a very large company ;)

Cody Colston
09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
FWIW, I'd heard rumor that -- in addition to participating, here -- he runs a very large company ;)

Absolutely. Even if you don't own any Grizzly tools, the membership here should be appreciative of Shiraz for his participation here. Getting information and participation straight from the president of a large woodworking tool company is a major coup for SMC and an invaluable source for the membership.

Personally, I'm a satisfied Grizzly tool owner and a Shiraz fan. I don't mind saying so, either. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Neil,

He does some pretty serious competitive shooting too!

Neil Brooks
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Neil,

He does some pretty serious competitive shooting too!

:eek:

Shiraz,

While I don't believe I've ever said an unkind word about you, or about Grizzly, rest assured that -- if I DID -- I was wrong/drunk/out of my mind, and I would like to take this opportunity to humbly and sincerely apologize ;)

[and ... ducking ... just to be sure ;)]

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Neil,

Check this out: http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Sharp+Shootin+Shiraz.aspx

John Coloccia
09-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Having Shiraz around is like having our own custom toolmaking design firm. Maybe if I toss some ideas out there, he'll make some cool luthier jigs for us too! I wish I had the room for his fingerboard radiusing sander. An acquaintance that has one absolutely raves about it.

Neil Brooks
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Neil,

Check this out: http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Sharp+Shootin+Shiraz.aspx

Wow.

Ken, you and I both know (as do many of us Creekers) the pressures that come with running big projects, big groups, big departments, or big companies.

It's great to see that Shiraz is both balanced, AND has found a great way to "blow off steam."

Now ... I can't HELP but think ... that if I see him, in person, and he's carrying a guitar case ... that could mean one of TWO things :D

Thanks for the link !

Dave Verstraete
09-08-2010, 4:15 PM
I guess that I've been spoiled by being a machinist. I want it to look like an Allen Drill Press

george wilson
09-08-2010, 8:00 PM
I doubt that you can expect a variable speed drill press that also goes pretty slow. The motor would have to be quite large to have the needed torque at low speeds to drive the large drill bits that would be used at those low speeds.

The same applies to lathes. There is a copy of a Hardinge HLVH lathe that goes from 40 to 4000 rpm. I think it has a 10 h.p. motor for the variable speed.

My real HLVH has a 1 h.p. motor,but does use variable reeves drive to get 130 tp 3000 rpm. It maintains plenty of torque from being "geared" down by the variable diameter pulleys. Its 1 h.p. motor is easily the size of a 5 h.p. motor,but it's still just 1 h.p..

Dan Hintz
09-08-2010, 8:12 PM
George,

Yeah, I'm getting the impression I should go for something like the PM2800 and expect to open the head and make some modifications (i.e., an auto-engaging 2:1 or 4:1 gear reducer, or similar). It's a lot more work than I want to do, but it would get me what I want.

Matt Armstrong
09-08-2010, 8:29 PM
My craftsman drill press has this cool torque limiting feature. When I try to drive it too hard, the bit stops automatically in the workpiece even though the motor keeps running. Some RPMs are "torquier" than others, too.

Chris Parks
09-09-2010, 7:07 AM
An optional horizontal position lock to allow raising and lowering the table without losing your drill contact point. Variable speeds from very low to good-n-high (I am OK with 2 or 3 belt positions providing the wide variable speed range like some lathes use), a table that toollessly (is that a word?) tilts left/right and forward/back, outrigger arms on the base for those who don't want to bolt it down or bolt it to a large base.

Oh, and no separate power cord for the light and decent dust control and a foot actuator and . . .

Fries with that sir?

Matt Winterowd
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM

You're welcome. :p

Here's the thing, I really would pay more for a dp with these kind of features. As Van and others have pointed out, most of the woodworking dp's are hit and miss as far as quality and accuracy. And there's a huge gap pricewise between the top end of woodworking dp's and the long stroke, variable speed metalworking machines. If Grizzly can get anywhere in that gap, they're going to make plenty of sales.

Callan Campbell
09-09-2010, 1:48 PM
It's the now unavailable 20-950 model. No lasers, but Reeves Variable speed drive, and yes, the Low RPM spec is under PM's 400 RPM by a fairly wide amount. Quill has 6 inches of travel , I think;), and the run-out seems tight at either fully retracted or fully extended. Extra large table has t-slots milled into it for easy usage of jigs or a fence. Table also moves side to side angle tilt like almost every other DP, but also tilts in other axis for compound drilling angles. The light it came with works OK, but everyone who sells a DP these days seems content to keep lowering the max wattage allowed in the light. I think it's down to a 50 watt bulb now.
1HP motor, 20 inch capacity and it fits in my low basement[barely, but it made it:D] I should take pictures and post it before Glen B. shames me in it...;)

Dan Hintz
09-09-2010, 4:21 PM
Callan,

Make that an LED bulb (or even a fluorescent) and that 50W will get you some serious light!

Callan Campbell
09-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Callan,

Make that an LED bulb (or even a fluorescent) and that 50W will get you some serious light!
I hear you, I was all set to install a Compact Fluorescent bulb when I realized that if it shattered or broke from something hitting it, I'd put some amount of mercury into the shop, or me I guess. Rather use the LED, which is where I think many of these task lights will/could go soon since they handle vibration well, don't give off that much heat, and are really coming down in price. And of course the lighting is great too.:p
Should I not be worried about a CFL breaking, you hear so much made of bulbs breaking in a household setting.

Dave Lehnert
09-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I hear you, I was all set to install a Compact Fluorescent bulb when I realized that if it shattered or broke from something hitting it, I'd put some amount of mercury into the shop, or me I guess. Rather use the LED, which is where I think many of these task lights will/could go soon since they handle vibration well, don't give off that much heat, and are really coming down in price. And of course the lighting is great too.:p
Should I not be worried about a CFL breaking, you hear so much made of bulbs breaking in a household setting.

I use a CFL in a drill press. You can buy them encased in what looks like a regular bulb.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/qGm9N076SSFYBbvlHoKncBebD4YVMKh8OnHfJxDIwwvYvCSL7i rfbs8yYmYxLreo0OyLD5dWFxvrBYKM_QlkZevHedchH2e0VwzF BDWbczIElul3TNb61ZvrPS9DIMxnaPtnfMdzkM1VTzyT8FfqZp tP7MdK2vKVozZx2Iv6Sw

Callan Campbell
09-10-2010, 8:48 AM
I use a CFL in a drill press. You can buy them encased in what looks like a regular bulb.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/qGm9N076SSFYBbvlHoKncBebD4YVMKh8OnHfJxDIwwvYvCSL7i rfbs8yYmYxLreo0OyLD5dWFxvrBYKM_QlkZevHedchH2e0VwzF BDWbczIElul3TNb61ZvrPS9DIMxnaPtnfMdzkM1VTzyT8FfqZp tP7MdK2vKVozZx2Iv6Sw
Right Dave, I have some installed in my house, along with the other types of CFLs. What I'm wondering about, is what real health hazard is there when a CFL breaks and spills its guts out. we have many of them installed in the house, and haven't dropped one yet while changing it out[which IS a rare thing, they do last a long time] But, is the Mercury panic real, well founded, or overdone like so many things? However, I haven't broken a tool task light bulb in years, so it's probably not a real concern either....:p:p:rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I guess that I've been spoiled by being a machinist. I want it to look like an Allen Drill Press

Does that table tilt? :p

Chris Padilla
09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
My craftsman drill press has this cool torque limiting feature. When I try to drive it too hard, the bit stops automatically in the workpiece even though the motor keeps running. Some RPMs are "torquier" than others, too.

Does it also want to toss your piece across the shop for you? You know, so you don't have to do it yourself from mangling it up? :D

Dan Hintz
09-10-2010, 11:48 AM
The mercury is really only an issue with landfills (it can seep into the water table if the landfill is not properly protected). It's not like you plan on licking the table after a bulb has broken, right?

Matt Armstrong
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Does it also want to toss your piece across the shop for you? You know, so you don't have to do it yourself from mangling it up? :D

No, usually the "torque limiter" kicks in before that!

Chris Padilla
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
The mercury is really only an issue with landfills (it can seep into the water table if the landfill is not properly protected). It's not like you plan on licking the table after a bulb has broken, right?

Oh so tempting though...especially since I'm sure the bulb isn't labeled to tell me NOT to do this.... :rolleyes:

Michael Wildt
09-10-2010, 1:06 PM
Great list for a super drill press. I would like to add this to the list:

- Very low vibrations (should be simple if build correct)
- Now this one may never happen, but make the drill head move-able in the vertical direction.

More detail on the latter. The few times I had to assemble/disassemble a drill press, floor standing model, its been a pain due to the weight. It had to happen several times since I have moved it once and I have added a mobile base (with build in sand) to it as well. Why not have a way to raise it using the column. One could assemble it laying down, raise it (would be simpler due to the low gravity point), then raise the head. Some lifts the drill head on top, I've used pulleys etc my self. But it would be nice to not have that issue to deal with.

raul segura
09-10-2010, 2:47 PM
Been using my delta for aluminum and brass , added the a cross slide vice. The chuck has some wobble unfortunately, but it works great on wood nice add on. A cheep milling machine would be very nice .

Through some thin drawers for bits and gauges
and the cup holder . http://sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Callan Campbell
09-10-2010, 3:55 PM
Oh so tempting though...especially since I'm sure the bulb isn't labeled to tell me NOT to do this.... :rolleyes:
HAH, HAH, hAH, TOO FUNNY. :D:D:D

Mike Wellner
09-12-2010, 1:34 PM
Im older drill press versus new.

check out the drill press section

Joey Chavez
08-04-2011, 5:58 PM
I e-mailed Grizzly a couple weeks back on the timing of the new Drill Press and the answer was still many months away. I'd like to hold out but I may have to buy one of the Delta's.

Ole Anderson
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I can't believe that anyone builds a DP without a quill lock, heck even my 20 year old Craftsman has one. It also has a real skinny belt and only two pullies with 8 grooves and 8 speeds 380-8550 rpm. Real easy to change speeds. I have even done production work on it and used it with a tapping machine. Never wore out a belt on it. Ok, so it is "torque limiting" at low rpms due to belt slippage with say a flycutter, but that is a good thing. Do wish it had a crank to lift the head though. For real serious stuff, say using a hole saw to fishmouth a piece of pipe for welding, I have my mini-mill.

Edit: Today I stopped at Performance tool and didn't see a quill lock on almost 10 DP's, several approaching a grand. Man was I surprised. I couldn't live without one.

mickey cassiba
08-05-2011, 7:24 PM
Y'all forgot power feed, reverse and automatic sweat wiper...

Eddie Darby
08-09-2011, 9:54 AM
An optional horizontal position lock to allow raising and lowering the table without losing your drill contact point.

Nice point. If you can raise and lower the table maintaining the contact point, then you can drill past the Quill Travel Limit, no matter what it maybe.