PDA

View Full Version : college football week 1

Neal Clayton
09-07-2010, 1:57 AM
a) michigan has speed now? they looked impressive to me, O line quite athletic and quick, no more running backs running into the back of the lead blocker :p. i think the big 10 press is giving rich rodriguez the sour grape treatment just for him being an outsider with a different philosophy. they just don't wanna believe that schembechler's 3-yards-cloud-of-dust team was in fact completely useless and had to be rebuilt from the ground up to even hope to compete with USC, Texas, or the SEC. but it looks like they're on the right track at least offensively, i think they might win 8 games this year.

b) man i really hate boise state. i don't begrudge them for beating virginia tech, but i will in advance do so for them beating UNLV and new mexico while we in arkansas have to tiptoe through the minefield that is LSU, auburn, georgia, and of course, saban.

c) poor ole miss. we tried to tell them that houston nutt was a born loser, they wouldn't listen. now they're losing to division 2 teams. the game between them and LSU should be quite interesting. both sides will be boo'ing no matter what happens in hopes that their coach gets fired faster than the other guy's coach does. i don't get ego driven bad coaches like les miles and houston nutt. all you have to do is hire the best coordinators money can buy, and put on your pretty face for press conferences, fund raisers, and recruiting trips, and they'll happily give you your millions and love you for it. look at mack brown, that's what he does. why they are so insistent on screwing it up to try to prove to us that they can coach a team themselves (when they obviously cannot) is beyond me.

d) how does florida make it to week one without figuring out that their center doesn't know how to snap to a shotgun QB. worse yet, how are they in the top 5 with that being the case?

e) i really felt sorry for the UNC players that were there on the field. they won that game everywhere but the scoreboard. sucks that the rest had to play without the ones that broke the rules. but that's how it goes i guess.

looked like everyone else handled their cupcakes pretty well, we got done with ours after 44 points in three quarters. this week gets interesting with miami @ OSU, FSU @ oklahoma, and PSU @ alabama. the road and lesser ranked team could feasibly win two of those. miami and FSU are getting back to their old form. PSU, i'm afraid, won't fare so well against saban.

i hate to get overly optimstic for the razorbacks but if they get past georgia on the road, the whole season comes down to saban, which is a home game. if they manage to pull off the upset it's pretty smooth sailing to the SEC championship game after that, except for auburn on the road. we shall see ;).

Zach England
09-07-2010, 8:29 AM
In Boise State's defense they have tried to schedule lots of teams (including my Huskers) that have declined to play them.

Bob Rossi
09-07-2010, 8:33 AM
Before DickRod came along Michigan was 23-5-1 against SEC and 7-3 against SEC in bowl games.

Not bad for a cloud of dust.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 9:15 AM
The big bad boys don't want to play the Broncos!

Go Boise State!

Zach England
09-07-2010, 9:22 AM
The big bad boys don't want to play the Broncos!

Go Boise State!

This is true, and it is unfortunate. An AQ conference team has a lot more to lose than BSU does. I applaud VaTech for scheduling them. I'd like to see BSU (and TCU) move to whatever is left of the Big XII after they get sick playing the MWC mid-major schools. Now that Utah and BYU are gone there's not much left there.

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 9:27 AM
I agree about the penn state thing coming up this weekend, it'll probably be over 15 minutes into the game. OSU / Alabama would've been a much better game.

It's not like penn state would've likely had a great chance last year, but it would've been a better year to play alabama than this year when they're replacing pretty much everyone but the running backs.

As far as michigan goes, richrod will have to do some proving over a course of years to show that his philosophy plays in the big 10. He's going to have to do it against some decent teams, and against an OSU that is probably going to outrecruit UM for quite a while.

The cloud of dust teams UM put out there for a long time had extremely athletic lines and decent wideouts. They were big trouble for teams that didn't recruit quite as well, and as far as I can tell, USC doesn't do a whole lot different either. They run a pro offense with athletic linemen dependent on recruiting the best talent.

I don't know if that'll ever change. Have guys out there who are physically better than the opponent, no lopsided matchups against your defense, and control the line of scrimmage.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 9:58 AM
This is true, and it is unfortunate. An AQ conference team has a lot more to lose than BSU does. I applaud VaTech for scheduling them. I'd like to see BSU (and TCU) move to whatever is left of the Big XII after they get sick playing the MWC mid-major schools. Now that Utah and BYU are gone there's not much left there.

Zach,

If they don't want to play them, why would the other teams allow them to join their conference?

I'd suggest other teams have more to lose by losing a conference game to BSU than a non-conference game.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Zach,

If they don't want to play them, why would the other teams allow them to join their conference?

I'd suggest other teams have more to lose by losing a conference game to BSU than a non-conference game.

MWC is a non-AQ conference. By "they" I mean teams in national contention (like Virginia Tech). MWC is not the big boys. It's the slightly less little boys. One conference loss means relatively little to these teams in terms of revenue. They have more to gain by the added publicity. If Wyoming has a loss to BSU they will likely still go to a mediocre bowl game. Virginia Tech's loss to BSU cost them a shot at a BCS game, which means millions in revenue.

Gordon Eyre
09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Well if Boise State runs the table one of the "Big Boys" will have to play them. As the coach said, we don't care who we play we beat them all. As far as Utah goes, they won their opening game against Pitt and next year will have to compete in the talent rich Pac 10. I think they can do it. Then of course BYU has been knocking off the big boys for some time now as has TCU of the MWC. BYU's win over Washington shows that they once again have talent on that club.

By my remarks it is obvious I am from the west and have a bit of a grudge against the big boys that will not schedule games against MWC teams.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Well if Boise State runs the table one of the "Big Boys" will have to play them. As the coach said, we don't care who we play we beat them all. As far as Utah goes, they won their opening game against Pitt and next year will have to compete in the talent rich Pac 10. I think they can do it. Then of course BYU has been knocking off the big boys for some time now as has TCU of the MWC. BYU's win over Washington shows that they once again have talent on that club.

By my remarks it is obvious I am from the west and have a bit of a grudge against the big boys that will not schedule games against MWC teams.

Not necessarily. The win last night made a case for it, and if I were a voter I'd have a serious conundrum between an undefeated BSU (or Utah or TCU) and a 1-loss SEC, Big Ten or Big XII team. Could BSU go through a major conference schedule undefeated? Probably. Would they? I doubt it.

Gordon Eyre
09-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Not necessarily. The win last night made a case for it, and if I were a voter I'd have a serious conundrum between an undefeated BSU (or Utah or TCU) and a 1-loss SEC, Big Ten or Big XII team. Could BSU go through a major conference schedule undefeated? Probably. Would they? I doubt it.

And the big bucks those conferences get each year from the automatic BCS bowl games ensures that this will continue. The fact that a cash strapped Boise State can even compete at all is pretty amazing. By the way, I hate Boise State also, I am a fan of Utah and BYU.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Zack,

BSU is now IIRC 4 for 5 against nationally ranked teams and tied for the current longest running winning streak of scheduled season games.

Which team was it that BSU pulled a Statue of Liberty play to beat them in a bowl game a couple of years ago? Oklahoma? Oklahoma State?

There is no doubt that BSU has a good program and it's directly attributable to their current coach. Whether or not they'd be accepted into another conference?

It was still a great game last night.

Next week, excluding BSU, there are some tremendous games scheduled.

I prefer to watch college football over pro football because in college ball, emotions play such larger part of the game. On any given night any college team playing any other college team can be winning by a large margin...make one mistake....have an emotional let down...and get beat.
This is just my humble opinion. You mileage may vary.

Jerome Hanby
09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Virginia Tech's loss to BSU cost them a shot at a BCS game, which means millions in revenue.
Isn't Va Tech in the ACC? Their champion gets an automatic BCS bid. Plus I think Va Tech's schedule gives them a chance to get back in the hunt if they run the table for the rest of the season. For Boise, their season is one and done in the loss category. Any loss to anyone probably puts them out of the running for an at large bid and definitely out of the championship race...

Zach England
09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Isn't Va Tech in the ACC? Their champion gets an automatic BCS bid. Plus I think Va Tech's schedule gives them a chance to get back in the hunt if they run the table for the rest of the season. For Boise, their season is one and done in the loss category. Any loss to anyone probably puts them out of the running for an at large bid and definitely out of the championship race...

Apologies. This is correct. They could still win their conference, at which point they would automatically get a BCS berth.

As for BSU's case, you are also correct, BUT without a big non-conference win they are not in the championship hunt and probably not in the BCS hunt at all. It is a risk they must take to be part of the conversation and they know, to their credit, that the only way to build credibility for their program is to rack up wins like the one they got last night.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
On another tangent:

Has anyone found a good iphone ap for college football news and real-time scores? There doesn't seem to be a definitive ap like there is for other sports.

Neal Clayton
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree about the penn state thing coming up this weekend, it'll probably be over 15 minutes into the game. OSU / Alabama would've been a much better game.

It's not like penn state would've likely had a great chance last year, but it would've been a better year to play alabama than this year when they're replacing pretty much everyone but the running backs.

yeah, there are a lot of primadonna college FB coaches who are given much more credit than they deserve, but saban is not one of them. he's a class above even the other top 10 programs. i don't look forward to our game against them every year either :(.

As far as michigan goes, richrod will have to do some proving over a course of years to show that his philosophy plays in the big 10. He's going to have to do it against some decent teams, and against an OSU that is probably going to outrecruit UM for quite a while.

The cloud of dust teams UM put out there for a long time had extremely athletic lines and decent wideouts. They were big trouble for teams that didn't recruit quite as well, and as far as I can tell, USC doesn't do a whole lot different either. They run a pro offense with athletic linemen dependent on recruiting the best talent.

I don't know if that'll ever change. Have guys out there who are physically better than the opponent, no lopsided matchups against your defense, and control the line of scrimmage.the main thing lacking from those cloud of dust teams was speed on the O line and D line, which USC, Texas, and the southeastern teams have. it makes defensive scheming a lot easier when a D tackle can chase down a mobile quarterback and a linebacker can successfully cover a tight end. on the flip side of the coin it's O linemen getting blocks downfield on the secondary. the southern teams have been smaller and quicker on the lines particularly for years. i don't think its a question of if it works, but if rich rodriguez manages to implement all of it before nostalgia from the UM faithful gets him fired.

Mike Null
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't agree that the big schools are afraid to play Boise State. The problem is that BSU wants home and home and they play in a minor league stadium. Read that "not enough income".

When Ohio State schedules the big guys, (Notre Dame, Texas, Miami etc.) they do it on a home and home basis. You just can't do that when the opponent has a 30,000 seat stadium. And no, TV does not make up the difference.

Speaking about Ohio, (I'm a buckeye) they schedule other Ohio schools so they can keep the money in the state system. (football income at OSU supports all sports except basketball)

That said, BSU played a great game and deserved to win. And they can win a bowl game. They can't win the Big 10 or the SEC or the PAC 10 and probably not the ACC.

Somebody made what sounded like a great suggestion--join the Big 12 or what's left of it. (the stadium may still be an issue there as well)

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 12:09 PM
i don't think its a question of if it works, but if rich rodriguez manages to implement all of it before nostalgia from the UM faithful gets him fired.

If he manages to win 10 or 11 games a year, and most importantly, beat MSU and OSU, for a couple of years, people will forget about giving him grief.

Nick Saban is a smart guy. He knew when he was at michigan state that recruiting is the name of the game when it comes to winning in college football. Not just a couple of position players, but the whole field, including the linemen. He knew when he was at MSU that no matter how good he was, he was always going to have to recruit against Michigan, and he got out of there.

Richrod was probably thinking along the same lines. He was coaching a team that was one rung below top tier, and maybe the difference was recruiting. I don't pretend to know a lot about college coaching, but it was surprising just how bad his first few teams were. There must've been a lot more going on under the surface with players not making A-grade efforts or something, especially given that penn state went from the pro offense to the spread HD in pretty much one year and had no issue with it. There must've been all kinds of personality problems.

But, anyway, the security of his job has to do with beating OSU especially, and doing it on a regular basis. That will be a very tall order the way OSU has turned into a recruiting monster over the last 10 years. OSU has done its own damage, though, making the conference look bad in bowl games and non-conference games.

LLoyd carr couldn't do it, and before tressel, cooper couldn't do it. It'll get you fired from either school.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't agree that the big schools are afraid to play Boise State. The problem is that BSU wants home and home and they play in a minor league stadium. Read that "not enough income".

When Ohio State schedules the big guys, (Notre Dame, Texas, Miami etc.) they do it on a home and home basis. You just can't do that when the opponent has a 30,000 seat stadium. And no, TV does not make up the difference.

Speaking about Ohio, (I'm a buckeye) they schedule other Ohio schools so they can keep the money in the state system. (football income at OSU supports all sports except basketball)

That said, BSU played a great game and deserved to win. And they can win a bowl game. They can't win the Big 10 or the SEC or the PAC 10 and probably not the ACC.

Somebody made what sounded like a great suggestion--join the Big 12 or what's left of it. (the stadium may still be an issue there as well)

So as I said Mike.....The big boys don't want to play Boise State....doesn't matter if it's for monetary reasons.

Let's see Mike....who has Boise State beat in bowls games the last few years?

Can't win in the conferences but can beat them in the bowl games? That's logical.:rolleyes:

Mike Null
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Ken

When they're up against tough teams week after week, teams with more depth and as much talent they won't be undefeated. whether it makes sense to you or not, it's fact. How often does a team get through the major conferences undefeated? rarely. Even then it's one team out of conferences that have 10 or 12 teams.

They won in the last minute last night against a team that will be at best third in their conference. And, at least in my opinion, the ACC is the third or fourth most powerful conference.

BTW, who are the big boys who have refused to play BSU? Just facts, not hearsay.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
So as I said Mike.....The big boys don't want to play Boise State....doesn't matter if it's for monetary reasons.

Let's see Mike....who has Boise State beat in bowls games the last few years?

Can't win in the conferences but can beat them in the bowl games? That's logical.:rolleyes:

It's not that they CAN'T win in the major conferences. It is that they HAVEN'T proved they can win every week playing against major conference teams. They haven't proved it because they haven't been given the opportunity. The MWC puts them a step closer to having that opportunity, but in reality it is a baby step since BYU and Utah are no longer part of the equation. That's why I'd like to see BSU and TCU replace Nebraska and Colorado in the Big XII. BYU would also be a fine candidate. Kick Baylor out to make room.

I never said it was fair.

Zach England
09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Ken

When they're up against tough teams week after week, teams with more depth and as much talent they won't be undefeated. whether it makes sense to you or not, it's fact. How often does a team get through the major conferences undefeated? rarely. Even then it's one team out of conferences that have 10 or 12 teams.

They won in the last minute last night against a team that will be at best third in their conference. And, at least in my opinion, the ACC is the third or fourth most powerful conference.

BTW, who are the big boys who have refused to play BSU? Just facts, not hearsay.

I know for a fact that Nebraska has. I am fairly certain Ohio State also has. The rest is hearsay (to my knowledge).

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 1:53 PM
I'd bet nebraska has a similar philosophy regarding non-conference games - they want to make money. BSU is going to need to play away games to get those guys to play them, and even at that, OSU is notorious for playing patsy teams non-conference, just as KSU used to do, and as Penn State did for a long time.

Neal Clayton
09-07-2010, 4:55 PM
Ken

and the injuries that go along with that. i'm reminded of the last LSU title year, the auburn game. the final score was 6 to 3, or 9 to 6, or something like that. they weren't even giving up many field goals. when that game was over each team had at least 5 minor defensive injuries and 2 potentially serious defensive injuries. then they have to go play georgia or florida in the following week who are also full of first round NFL draft picks on both sides, so you don't have the option of sitting those minor injuries.

could boise do that year in and year out and still win 11 games? until proven otherwise, my answer is no.

if they get into the big 12 and beat texas, OU, OState, etc. all in the same year in a span of 4-5 weeks, more power to them, prove us all wrong. but that's what the rest of the big conference schools have to do. and that's why a 1 loss SEC/Big 12/Big 10 team is always gonna be ahead of them in that BCS title game.

it's not just playing virginia tech. it's playing virginia tech, then @ miami the next week, and then playing FSU the week after that, and then playing @ georgia tech two weeks away from that. and all of that after playing an alabama or florida or georgia or OSU for one of your non conference games. and if you lose 2 of those 5 your chances are over with.

all those schools that boise plays for their one game every year do the above, and they don't make it through undefeated. to convince me that boise would do any better you're telling us that boise is head and shoulders better than those teams?

put it this way, if miami wins 11 games and their one loss is virginia tech, miami is gonna be in the BCS title game and boise state is not, and rightfully so. if they wanna sit at the same table as everyone else move to the PAC 10 or Big 12, Utah did. why is boise too good to do so?

Jerome Hanby
09-07-2010, 5:05 PM

I thought the announcers brought up a good point during the game, Boise is fantastic when they have time to prepare for an opponent (opening games and bowl games). Run them through one SEC schedule and they are going to be Vandy's whipping boy. But, put them in the SEC (or any of those lesser conferences :D) for ten years with the quality of coaching they currently have and watch out!

Jerome Hanby
09-07-2010, 5:11 PM
I'd bet nebraska has a similar philosophy regarding non-conference games - they want to make money. BSU is going to need to play away games to get those guys to play them, and even at that, OSU is notorious for playing patsy teams non-conference, just as KSU used to do, and as Penn State did for a long time.

I know that Nebraska has played Troy four times over the past several years, best that I can find they were all played in Lincoln. So, I don't think it's the fact that it's Boise, I think it's the whole home and home thing.

Mike Null
09-07-2010, 6:01 PM
Zach

Prove your facts. Just saying so doesn't make it so.

Gordon Eyre
09-07-2010, 7:11 PM
Ah the vagaries of recruiting. It's what coaches live or die on. My son-in-law is a head coach at Southern Utah University (FCS) and when he took over two seasons ago they had not won a game for two years. The first year they won 4 games and the second year they won 5 but had some very close games that could have gone either way. This year, after two good recruiting seasons, we expect big things. They opened against Wyoming (BCS) and the final score was 20 to 28 with Wyoming winning. The good thing is that SUU had them on time of possession and total yards and except for some untimely penalties in the red zone could have won this game. Coaches can do a lot but they must be able to recruit so that they have something to work with. Looking forward to Saturday as I will be in the stands rooting for my favorite team.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 7:54 PM
Zach

Prove your facts. Just saying so doesn't make it so.

Like wise Mike. If there was a playoff, we'd might find out who really had the best team. The BCS thing doesn't prove a thing.

Boise State is 35-13 when in nationally televised games.

Teams they've played? Georgia, Oklahoma, TCU, Oregon State, San Jose St., Fresno State....

They have appeared in 9 bowl games winning 5 of them.

6 WAC titles

14 conference titles.....

Mike Null
09-07-2010, 9:33 PM
Ken

I appreciate your loyalty but I also think you're blinded by it. If you don't think BSU plays a cream puff schedule then there's no way to discuss this with you. I assure you they could schedule whoever they want but they have to play away. Nobody who has a 100,000 seats is going to play in a 30,000 seat stadium.

Football success is a cyclical thing. Every team has it's ups and downs--even the Alabama's, Texas's, Oklahoma's etc. BSU will as well. Look at USC last year. Notre Dame, Michigan.

I am opposed to a play-off system but I don't like the BCS either. I'm not one who cares about a national champion in football. I like the traditional rivalries and the season ending in November and beginning after Labor Day.

My way won't fly anymore.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Mike,

For the record.

I am not a Boise State fan. I have never attended one of their games. Boise is 260 miles south of me. The University of Idaho is 30 miles north of my home and I have never attended one of their games.

If you read my original post, I am a college football fan.

I have never liked the BCS since it started. It doesn't always put the best two teams against each other.

I do think a lot of folks favor college football teams for little reason other than blind loyalty.

Too many "big schools" look down on small college football teams, however, and fail to see that some are in reality pretty good.

A lot of talent comes out of small insignificant colleges. Let me give you an example. Eastern Illinois University.......the current head coaches of the Minnesota Vikings and the New Orleans Saints are alumni.....also a little known quarterback....Tony Romo...Cowboys.....and A Pro-bowl punter too.

IMHO, the toughest conference in the nation is the SEC.

However, I will stand by my original statement. What I like about college football is the magnitude that emotions play in the game and on any given day, any college football could beat any other college football team because of the emotions.

Mike Null
09-08-2010, 8:40 AM
Ken

Now we're on the same page.

Belinda Barfield
09-08-2010, 8:54 AM
a)i hate to get overly optimstic for the razorbacks but if they get past georgia on the road, the whole season comes down to saban, which is a home game. if they manage to pull off the upset it's pretty smooth sailing to the SEC championship game after that, except for auburn on the road. we shall see ;).

. . . get past GA on the road . . . in your dreams Neal, in your dreams! :D GO DAWGS!!!!

Mike Wilkins
09-08-2010, 8:56 AM
Living in eastern North Carolina, and East Carolina University just 6 miles from my home, I had to be pleased with their win. Nice way to start the season, but they still have a lot to work on with their defense; no team should have to wait until the clock ticks it last tick to win a game.

Bryan Slimp
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
They wanted a $1,000,000 to play in Lincoln. No thanks. Boise needs to join a tough conference and deal with the grind.

Terry Achey
09-10-2010, 10:59 PM
"I prefer to watch college football over pro football because in college ball, emotions play such larger part of the game. On any given night any college team playing any other college team can be winning by a large margin...make one mistake....have an emotional let down...and get beat." .... Ken

prediction - big upset ...... PSU-16 Bama 14 ;)

Belinda Barfield
09-18-2010, 3:16 PM
. . . get past GA on the road . . . in your dreams Neal, in your dreams! :D GO DAWGS!!!!

Well, Neal, at least your dreams came true . . .

Neal Clayton
09-18-2010, 6:01 PM
Well, Neal, at least your dreams came true . . .

well, if it makes you feel any better, after watching 3 weeks i've given up on the hopes of beating saban.

they looked like an NFL team playing a high school team against PSU last week. this week, 4 TDs in the first quarter.

no one is beating them this year. after two undefeated seasons in a row we can look forward to the bear bryant comparisions.