PDA

View Full Version : Old planes

steve germanson
09-07-2010, 1:13 AM
I don't know much about old hand tools but I have the chance to buy these. What do you guys think would be a good price. Thanks

Jim Koepke
09-07-2010, 2:24 AM
For wood bodied planes, the condition of the wood is everything.

Next would be the condition of the blades.

If the wood is cracked or rotted, you will most likely have to make your own replacements.

I am not much into wooden planes, so my guess at pricing would probably be way off.

Hopefully someone who is more into the wooden planes will jump in.

jim

Dan Andrews
09-07-2010, 4:09 AM
Prety much only hard core traditionalists will use the all wooden planes. The transitional (wood and metal) planes are much more user frendly, but not popular among even we Neaderthals. For a user plane everything Jim said I agree with. For a rustic display, how they appear to you is all that matters.

Where I live these planes typically go cheap with the exception of the long jointer plane (if it is in good user condition). I would say about $30.-$40. tops for shelf art, and I don't know how much if the jointer is in good condition.

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 7:37 AM
Need to be able to see the bottom of the jointer plane to say what it would bring, but on the surface, there's nothing in that box that I would push anyone out of the way to get.

An all-wood jointer is nice to have for softwoods, but they usually need a little bit of (properly done) attention before they will work as well as they should.

Same with the smoother. I would guess that the wedge in it is a replacement, but who knows for sure? If it's common pitch (45 degrees), it's a decent plane to have around, but it'll leave you wanting something different in anything hard.

Edit: I just noticed there are two boxes, not one.

I personally wouldn't go over $100 for all of them *given that they all are decent on the bottom and around the mouth*, and I'd consider your habits first. If you do all of your dimensioning with power tools and use hand tools to finish, most of them probably won't see much work.

IF you want to do roughing and dimensioning with wood planes, the woody jack plane would be nice to do coarse work softwood, as would the longer planes if they're in OK condition.

steve germanson
09-07-2010, 1:16 PM
Thanks guys for your input, I think I am going to pass them up.

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 1:26 PM
How much did the seller want for them?

steve germanson
09-07-2010, 6:02 PM
They want $35 per box.

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 6:39 PM
If the mouths were good, that's not a bad deal.

It's just a matter of whether or not you want them, and if you only want a couple, if you want to screw around selling them off for not much profit.