PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Bowl (1st post)

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi All!
I joined the forum about a month ago, just been lurking and enjoying the posts and the pics of all the great pieces! I've only been turning for about 1 1/2 months. After seeing all the exceptional pieces being posted, I was a little reluctant to post any of my beginner pieces but I was pretty happy with how this one turned out, so here it is. Mequite, 5" by 2 1/4" x 1/8" finished in wipe on poly.
Thanks for looking!

David Christopher
09-06-2010, 11:48 PM
welcome to the creek Kathy, and that does not look like a beginner bowl......the shape and color is beautiful.....cant wait to see the next one

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Kathy,

Welcome to the Creek!

What a great basic classic form and some gorgeous wood!

Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Kathy that is a really nice bowl for a first. Don't be afraid to post. We all started at the same point and this forum is a great place to learn.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Kathy - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful bowl! Love the color variations! Very nice form and finish! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Aaron Wingert
09-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Really great looking form Kathy. I also really like the contrast between the sapwood and the heartwood. Welcome to the Creek and to our horribly addictive wallet-emptying hobby. :D

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Great little bowl, Kathy. From the color variation in this, I'd guess that it must've been from a well-cured piece of Mesquite. I love the way you've captured the figure.
And, welcome to the forum! Great place to learn... Just feel like I need to warn you, though... some of us.. er.. ah... these guys... are just a little bit strange at times... you know... Lacquer fumes, Alcohol baths, and all that... :D

Frank Van Atta
09-07-2010, 2:08 AM
Pretty nice bowl, methinks.

Kathy Marshall
09-07-2010, 2:13 AM
Great little bowl, Kathy. From the color variation in this, I'd guess that it must've been from a well-cured piece of Mesquite. I love the way you've captured the figure.
And, welcome to the forum! Great place to learn... Just feel like I need to warn you, though... some of us.. er.. ah... these guys... are just a little bit strange at times... you know... Lacquer fumes, Alcohol baths, and all that... :D

Yes, my sister and BIL cut down one of their mesquite trees 3 or 4 years ago. They cut it into 2-3' lengths and tossed it in the firewood pile :eek:. When I started turning they offered me the lot. Not dried in the best fashion, but it is definitely dry. Lots of cracks and checking, but there's good wood if you dig for it. Here are a few pics of the haul.

In the 1st pic, the piece standing up in the back is where this bowl came from (the cut end showing).

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 2:42 AM
Welcome. Beautiful bowl out of a nice chunk!

William Hutchinson
09-07-2010, 5:47 AM
Welcome and very nice first turning. The inside coloration adds great interest to a fine looking bowl. I got a lathe mid-July and these folks have been exceedingly helpful and most kind in reviewing others work. Your off to a great start; keep showing your stuff.

John Keeton
09-07-2010, 6:04 AM
Welcome, Kathy!! Great to have you posting on the creek. That is a really great bowl, and such a fantastic haul on the mesquite. Lot of wood to play with.

Don't keep us waiting for the next post!

Tom Sherman
09-07-2010, 6:20 AM
Congrations on your first bowl, and your gloat on the wood, and Welcome to the madness. if you have only been turning for a month and a half, I'ld say you have a bright future in wood turning.

Gary Herrmann
09-07-2010, 7:19 AM
If that's one of your first, we're going to be seeing really good turnings from you.

Michelle Rich
09-07-2010, 7:55 AM
Hi Kathy: good to see another gal here at the creek. Nice balance of your colors and terrific first post. Hope to see more here and WR. (thanks for your nice comment at WR Artist of the Month thingy..appreciate it)

Ken Glass
09-07-2010, 8:06 AM
Kathy,
Great work for a 1st or 21st. bowl. Very nice and you showed the woods character well with this piece. Your tool work seems consistent and the finish is nice too. Well done and welcome to the Vortex.

Michael E. Thompson
09-07-2010, 8:46 AM
Pretty wood. I still have the first bowl I was happy with. I go back and look at it every now and then. Makes you appreciate your progress.

Welcome to the creek.

bob svoboda
09-07-2010, 8:49 AM
Nice bowl. Great job on grain orientation and finish. Thanks for sharing.

gary Zimmel
09-07-2010, 9:43 AM
Welcome to the Creek Kathy. Nice work on the first bowl.
Looking forward to future turnings.

steven carter
09-07-2010, 1:11 PM
Kathy,

Welcome to the creek! Very nice first bowl, first bowls do not always have that nice classic bowl shape, you have done very well indeed. Nice looking bunch of mesquite, I might suggest that if the checking is too bad for bowls, they would make very nice boxes.

Steve

Baxter Smith
09-07-2010, 1:30 PM
Welcome Kathy. That is a very nice bowl and some good wood to choose turn some more from.

Lee Koepke
09-07-2010, 1:37 PM
very nice!

These guys have been talking me into getting a mini lathe that was offered to me ... Looking forward to doing stuff like that too, hoping mine turns out that good.

George Guadiane
09-07-2010, 1:42 PM
In the years to come, you'll look back on this one and still be proud of it, it has a lot going for it, form, finish, color and grain distribution... The combination of elements come together as well as anyone could want.
Keep turning, keep posting.

David E Keller
09-07-2010, 7:15 PM
Welcome, Kathy. That's a great little bowl from a really nice looking chunk of wood. I hope you'll keep posting your stuff... Nobody here bites... Well, Hart might growl at you when he's been in the lacquer, but I don't think he's actually bit anyone yet.

Greg Just
09-07-2010, 7:29 PM
Welcome Kathy - that is a beautiful bowl. thanks for sharing.

Michael James
09-07-2010, 7:51 PM
Glad to see you made it over to this forum, I'll bet I can guess who sent you....:D
Very nice job, and I am a sucker for anything mesquite..found two branches in my driveway when I got home. Not much I can do with that, but it's more than I had.
Real fun group here..... lots of talent too!
mj

James Combs
09-07-2010, 8:11 PM
Welcome to the creek Kathy. Great looking classic bowl you have there. Love the contrast and the accenting darker area. You will learn a lot here at the creek, I know I have in the few months that I have been turning. Again welcome.

Paul Douglass
09-07-2010, 9:21 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Very nice bowl you turned.

Robert McGowen
09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Good luck with that pile of mesquite. Two of my favorites - mesquite and free! Looking forward to the next bowl.

Joe Shinall
09-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the creek Kathy. I'm about 2 months into turning and you definitely have me beat. Great job on that bowl, love the grain.

Cathy Schaewe
09-08-2010, 9:45 AM
Kathy, that looks very nice. I really like the color contrast -