PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the woodwork

Jerry Baldwin
12-14-2004, 1:50 PM
Hello all. I've been a long-time lurker (and just a few posts) on this site. I've learned a lot from all of you here. I'll try to contribute more to the forum but geez, some of you guys must not work (you spend all your time here :) ).

Anyway, below are some pics of some Christmas gifts I've just completed. The two clocks pictured below are of walnut and cherry. No plans, just an idea of what I wanted to do. They actually look better in person - I have a nice camera, I just don't know how to use it well :rolleyes:.

http://www.winpicks.com/images/Clocks1.jpg

This one is alder with a cherry stain (it was the prototype).

http://www.winpicks.com/images/ClockAlder300.jpg

The LOML got to pick which one of the three she wanted (she chose the cherry) and the other two are going to my mom and my daughter.

I also made a few cutting boards (using the directions in the articles here - Thanks to Mike Schwing).

http://www.winpicks.com/images/CuttingBoards.jpg

I'm also into that "spinny" thing. I recently added a gold-colored lathe (stealth gloat) to the tools collection (pics will follow). I've turned quite a few pens and bowls and I'm currently trying to branch out (pun intended) to hollow forms.

Anyway, thanks again for all the tips, tricks, pictures, and information.

nic obie
12-14-2004, 1:53 PM
Welcome to the board. You do nice work.

Donnie Raines
12-14-2004, 2:00 PM
Welcome Jerry!....good looking clocks. I can see that you have been lurking for a bit.....already got the pix police off your back....good for you! ;)

Welcome!

Greg Mann
12-14-2004, 2:03 PM
Nice work, Jerry. You get to move to the FRONT ROW!

Actually none of us are real woodworkers. We just play them on the internet.;)

Greg

Lee Schierer
12-14-2004, 2:14 PM
Welcome and we look forward to seeing more. I agree with your wife, I would have picked the Cherry one as well.

Jason Tuinstra
12-14-2004, 2:37 PM
Jerry, thanks for sharing your pictures with us. You are certainly a skilled craftsman judging by those clocks. Very nice. Also, a warm welcome to you. Glad to have you around. I look forward to seeing some more of your projects in the future.

John Daugherty
12-14-2004, 2:55 PM
great clocks Jerry. I reall like the design.

Dick Parr
12-14-2004, 3:11 PM
Great looking projects Jerry and Welcome to the SMC :)

Darren Ford
12-14-2004, 4:13 PM
Very nice work Jerry. I think I would have picked the Cherry also, but it would have been a tough decision.

Those cutting boards are super cool, I must have missed the post here with the directions; I've never seen any like that.

Keith Outten
12-14-2004, 4:20 PM
Darren,

Go to the Articles Forum located on the SMC main page. You will see a thread that links to Mike's article on making cuttting boards.

Lou Morrissette
12-14-2004, 5:22 PM
Great looking work, Jerry. Welcome to the Creek.Great place to hang out and learn.

Lou

Wes Newman
12-14-2004, 5:56 PM
Welcome aboard. Nice Clocks, I'm sure your Mother and Daughter will be proud to display them.

Jim Becker
12-14-2004, 7:29 PM
Great looking work, Jerry!!

Marshall Harrison
12-14-2004, 7:36 PM
Nice work Jerry. I hate to start out on the wrong foot by disagreeing with your wife but I like the lighter oak one better.

How tall are the clocks?

Welcome to the creek.

Frank Pellow
12-14-2004, 8:28 PM
I am very impressed by the clocks (and there is certainly nothing wrong with the way that you use your camera).

Jerry Olexa
12-14-2004, 8:40 PM
Welcome Jerry and I see great craftmanship in your clocks! Good pics and Great work!!

Jerry Baldwin
12-15-2004, 8:32 AM
Thanks guys.

Marshall, the clocks are 24" tall.

Marshall Harrison
12-15-2004, 9:38 AM
Thanks Jerry.

I was looking at clock faces, movements and pendulums last night. I think I might make a clock for the mantle as my next project. Where did you get your parts from?

larry merlau
12-15-2004, 9:39 AM
just how did you come up withthe idea for those cuttin brds? and you might have gave me a inspiration. never been much for clocks butthat cherry one loked sharp and i owe my brother a big favor. his wife likes clocks :rolleyes: might have to get in touch with ya later to get some pointers. and welcome to the creek. lots of wise folks out there huh. at least i can read there thoughts :D

Ted Shrader
12-15-2004, 9:51 AM
Jerry -

Welcome. I looked all over your post for where I sign up to be on your Christmas list - couldn't find it. :) :)

Nice work!!!!

Ted

Jerry Baldwin
12-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I used movements from clockparts.com. I have to admit I used some very inexpensive movements since I didn't know if they would turn out well or not :) .

One of these days I want to build a nice grandfather clock from cherry or mahogany and I'll spring for a better movement then.