PDA

View Full Version : How to Handle a Big Burl

John Aspinall
09-06-2010, 4:49 PM
By way of introduction, I'm primarily a cabinets and builtins kind of guy. But thanks to some landscaping work, I'm in possession of the apple burl in the pictures. I've got a little lathe, but carving this up into pieces makes me nervous. I seek your advice.

Thanks, in advance, for any words of wisdom.
- John

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2010, 5:23 PM
Power washing or a hose and wire brush should be first. Look for hidden rocks and dirt that will dull a chain really quick. I would cut into the edges of the bumps as much as possible, trying to stay away from piths of all those roots. Cutting through the piths is second choice, but I personally don't like the pith showing in a burl bowl. Go for quality and not for just size. A small bowl of all burl is much more pleasant to view than a larger one that is half burl and a pith.

William Bachtel
09-06-2010, 5:51 PM
Wheres your location, if you live close to me, Wadsworth, Ohio I can saw it up on my Woodmizerbandsawmill. Its by far the best way. l-800-525-8100 is Woodmizers phone, they will give you the phone of a near by sawyer who hopefully will, and can do this for ya. Very nice burl.

David Woodruff
09-06-2010, 7:02 PM
I love apple. Put it on a skid and just ship it to me. I will pay and send you several chunks back. Now that is a deal.

John Aspinall
09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Bob, I know what you mean about dulling a chain. Good advice about not getting "size greedy".

William, you prompt me to enter my location. Eastern MA, a little too far to just drop by. I'll try the local turners association for pointers to sawyers.

David, I'd consider it if this was just a "get it out of the yard" project. But the learning is in the doing, you know....

- John

Steve Braman
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
The local club meets in Lexington, so you may have quite a few people around willing to help. I unfortunately would be of no help with this problem.

Allen Neighbors
09-07-2010, 7:31 PM
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to take care of that one. I'd sure like to have that problem, though. :D

John Aspinall
04-16-2012, 8:43 PM
A year and a half later; here's a little sample of what was inside.
No big pieces, due to dodging the trapped rocks, but still worth the effort.

Baxter Smith
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Very pretty! I have turned quite a few apple pieces but have never even seen an apple burl.