PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Rack

Lee Schierer
12-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Here is a quilt rack I made recently for my daughter to match the rest of her bedroom suite that I designed. It is made from Red Oak, finished natural color, it is about 54" long and finished with Deft Semi-gloss clear wood finish.

It clamps the quilt without damaging the quilt. We did find it easier to insert the quilt before the rack was hung on the wall. The rack is supported by two screws in the wall in keyhole slots in the back of the rack.

Lou Morrissette
12-14-2004, 1:14 PM
Looks real good. What is the clamping mechanism? Nice quilt.

Lou

Dick Parr
12-14-2004, 2:05 PM
Very nice Lee. I have seen a few of those around this part of the country and they do a good job of displaying a quilt. Job well done. :)

Kurt Aebi
12-14-2004, 2:11 PM
Lee,

That looks great, did you design it yourself or folow a plan.

How does th eclamping mechanism work?

Great work - She's gonna love it!

Bill Arnold
12-14-2004, 6:57 PM
Lee,

Very nice work, indeed! Is it your design?

Jim Becker
12-14-2004, 7:03 PM
That's beautiful, Lee. It looks like the design can be flexible to fit just about any size, too. Very nice!

Lee Schierer
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Quilt clamping is accomplished by a wood bar in this case 3/4" thick and 1-1/2" tall that runs the full length of the front. There is a narrow dado about 3/16" deep and 1/2" wide on the bottom edge of the clamp bar. I placed T-nuts in the back board where you see the knobs and glued pieces of all thread into the knobs that were long enough to go throught eh clamp bar and not stick out the back when tightened. When the knobs are tightened, the bar clamps the quilt securely.