PDA

View Full Version : Best book!

Alick Ford
09-06-2010, 1:24 PM
So I've been 'playing about' with my new epilog for a while now and am really starting to get to grips with it! but....

The applications really seem endless!!

I received a laser bits catalogue recently, and rather than excite me it kind of worried me! there are so many products out there for lasers!

Is there a book that anyone recommends to summarise the products that are out there, what they do and how to use them correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Alick

Mike Lassiter
09-06-2010, 5:02 PM
Personally I have learned more from this forum than I could every image learning from a single book. There are so many people here with so many different ideas, and all are more than willing to share the things they have learned with everyone else. I don't think anyone could author such a book. Perhaps a series of them, but there is just too much information to fit it all in only one book.

Alick Ford
09-07-2010, 9:00 AM
Maybe a idea for a experienced member!

Martin Boekers
09-07-2010, 1:28 PM
Alick,

I know you may be new to the laser, so I'll give you that!

Once you start really playing, er working with it you'll
understand that you won't have any time to write a book
or read a book or anything else for that matter.

Lasers can be all consuming!:D

Marty

Mike Null
09-07-2010, 2:48 PM
Alick

welcome to SMC.

I suggest you visit all the laser manufacturer's sites and have a look at all their examples.

If you're curious about a specific material you might also try a search of our old posts. Most things have been discussed at one time or another.

David Fairfield
09-07-2010, 6:55 PM
I'm a book nut, have thousands of them, but I don't think a book would really be a lot of help here. Theory is good, but hands-on is the only way you'll figure out what works for you and your customers.

Besides this forum, you can browse commercial websits and see what seems to sell well or looks like fun to try. Always a good source for ideas (but don't step on anyone's copyrights, of course).

Best if you stayed on projects that interest you personally, because you'll need to keep your enthusiasm up while sales are slow, and odds are they will be at first. Good luck!

Dave

Bill Cunningham
09-07-2010, 9:11 PM
Do what most of the others here have done, including myself. Start at Page 1 of this forum, and read it all... Far more interesting than any book, lots of ideas to try, lots of files to download and engrave or cut, and virtually every question you have ever had, or even can think of, has probably already been answered here.. Sit back, relax, and start reading. Believe me, it a real 'page turner' :p

Alick Ford
09-09-2010, 6:15 AM
I think I might do that! some great post on here!

Dan Hintz
09-09-2010, 6:33 AM
I'm writing as fast as I can, but my book is more than a year out (and most likely more). It covers theory in such a way as to make use more intuitive rather than wild guesses.

but as others have said, getting your hands dirty is one of the best ways to learn...