PDA

View Full Version : 3 finished finally

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Here are 3 bowls that I finished up to get in the gallery. The 2 walnut are cored from the same chunk. There is 1 more that I have to finish, but the wanted larger bowls so I waited. One is 13 1/4" and the othe is 16 1/4" wide. The aspen bowl is 10" wide. All are finished with one coat of wipe on poly buffed off with 0000 steel wool and then my mineral oil and bees wax paste is put on and let dry and buffed off with a soft cloth. It gives them a nice sheen.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

bob svoboda
09-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Very nice work Jeff. I love the straight-forward forms, and you're right about the sheen given by your finish. I'm especially fond of the grain of the Walnut bowls (I'm a sucker for Walnut!). Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Jeff, I love those walnut bowls!! Beautiful color and grain. The aspen is nice, and a good form. But, rather plain with the lighter grain - but, that is aspen.

Looks like you are getting low on wood!:eek:;):D

Robert McGowen
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Love those 2 walnut bowls, Jeff!

Baxter Smith
09-06-2010, 1:08 PM
Beautiful bowls Jeff. Love the walnut!

David E Keller
09-06-2010, 3:03 PM
Nicely done, sir. I love the shape of the walnut bowls. The aspen looks good to me as well. What does aspen do over time as far as the color? Does it darken? I've used a little aspen burl on pens, and I love the look. BLO really warms the color.

Allen Neighbors
09-06-2010, 3:47 PM
Nice job, all the way around, Jeff. I love the shape of the walnut bowls, but I'm a sucker for Aspen... It's light, and perfect for dough and salad bowls!! I think the Aspen and Cottonwood make the best utility bowls... they take on a character all their own, the more they are used.

Scott Hackler
09-06-2010, 5:06 PM
I like the all, but that larger walnut bowl is awesome. I really like the shape.

Tom Sherman
09-06-2010, 5:16 PM
All three are great bowls Jeff.

charlie knighton
09-06-2010, 6:00 PM
very nice, i really like your aspen bowl that has no spalting or fungus, any tips on blank preservation to keep it pure????

Jack Mincey
09-06-2010, 7:05 PM
Very beautiful bowls. The grain in the walnut is wonderful.
Jack

James Roberts
09-06-2010, 8:40 PM
Jeff, love the walnut, great forms and very nice finish. I like the aspen piece as well but I'm a sucker for walnut myself.

What, if I can ask, is your mineral oil/beeswax recipe and, when it's dry can it be power buffed to high gloss, too?

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 9:04 PM
Jeff, love the walnut, great forms and very nice finish. I like the aspen piece as well but I'm a sucker for walnut myself.

What, if I can ask, is your mineral oil/beeswax recipe and, when it's dry can it be power buffed to high gloss, too?
James, When I make the mineral oil and bees wax mix I heat the oil untilit will melt the shavings of the bees wax, it does not take to much. I make a couple of cups at a time so it lasts for quite a while. I shave the wax in and let it melt and mix it well then I let it cool to see if the paste that forms is the consistancy I want, if it needs more wax I add a bit more or if it is to thick I add some oil. I suppose I should figure out the recipe for sure and write it down one day! Once it is applied and the oil soaks in and the wax is left on the surface it will buff out some to a higher luster. I have some that has some carnuba wax melted in also and that will buff to a higher shine as the carnuba is a much harder wax.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

James Roberts
09-06-2010, 9:09 PM
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Didn't think of a carnauba wax recipe either, that helps too.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2010, 9:10 PM
Very nice work on everything Jeff! I also like the walnut bowls but for the form more than anything else! Very nice!

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 9:24 PM
I love the walnut also, this wood came from some trees that were taken down and left over a year on the ground before I found them on Craigslist. I think the time spent on the ground added to the beautiful color of these logs, it is a lot darker and some of the wood is very dark brown almost black with lighter streaks in it sort of like claro walnut. I have one log left to saw up and that is the biggest of the 7 the Mike Svoma and I got in that load.

The aspen has some very light spalting in it and the pictures don't show it well. The way I found to keep the aspen from discoloring is to get it rough turned as soon as possible or it will start to get streaks in it pretty quickly. I love turning it and the big curls that come off the lathe! I have some right now that I need to get turned to keep it from changing color. SOme times it will get pretty golden over time but stays pretty creamy colors most of the time.

A big American elm bowl is next!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Those are beauties Jeff. Really well done.

Michael James
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I like those for their simplicity. AND, they are done apparently perfectly. Nice touch!:)
mj

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Well it is time for bed and it was a great Labor day! I goofed off most of the day and it was very much needed! I thank each and everyone who has commented and may comment in the future. I just like to say it now and then how much I truly enjoy the cammeraderie of SMC and all the great folks who participate in all of its forums, especially the turners forum!

God bless and if you had to work today, may your efforts be rewarded 10 fold.

Back to the shop in the morning,

Jeff

Van Huskey
09-07-2010, 2:44 AM
Really nice bowls, love the walnut ones!

Ken Glass
09-07-2010, 8:15 AM
Jeff,
Great tool work and control on those large bowls. There is nothing like a beautiful walnut bowl and yours are superb. Very well Done. They will look great in the Gallery.

gary Zimmel
09-07-2010, 9:46 AM
Nice work on all the bowls Jeff. But the larger walnut one sure stands out for me.

Sean Hughto
09-07-2010, 9:53 AM
Great work! I love them all.

Bill Wilcox
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Jeff you really do nice work. Love the Walnut bowls and the Aspen one id nice and deep.
I too would be interested in the oil and wax ratio so next time you do it measure LOL.
Does anyone know if Camillia wax would be good for wood?
I have some that was used in the making of straight razor hones and the hones are made using this type of wax.
Any help would be appreciated.

steven carter
09-07-2010, 1:17 PM
Jeff,

Nice looking bowls. The walnut look super thin and light, I hope they don't blow away:eek:. I haven't turned aspen before, would you compare it to birch? I really like the tool rests you built for me, they are a big step up from the standard Jet toolrest. The worksmanship on them was outstanding.

Steve

Sean Hughto
09-07-2010, 1:23 PM
I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, but my experience of aspen is that it is soft, like poplar or boxelder. The birch varieties I've turned have been much harder.

Rob Cunningham
09-08-2010, 1:06 PM
The form, finish and grain of the walnut bowls are beautiful.

Cathy Schaewe
09-08-2010, 6:03 PM
Those are some handsome bowls, Jeff! I particularly like the walnut, but I'm partial to walnut. Think I'll have to give your finish a try -