PDA

View Full Version : carver's mallet

greg Forster
09-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Why is the head of a carver's mallet round vs. flat?

Jim Koepke
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
You might get a better answer in the Woodcarving forum.

jim

Mike Henderson
09-06-2010, 11:40 AM
For me, it makes it easier to just grab the mallet without having to orient it. I never found any problem with using a round mallet compared to a flat mallet. That is, I never found that I miss the gouge and the mallet slides off the side.

Also, unless you're doing some really big work, you don't pound on your carving tools. The mallet is just there to save your hand (compared to using the heel of your hand to rap the tool). Usually, you just tap the tool with the mallet. For even better control, you can hold the head of the mallet in your hand instead of the handle.

Finally, round mallets are very easy to make on the lathe so you can make different ones for different work, and find the shape of the handle that best fits your hand. I have quite a number of mallets (maybe 20) but I have only a couple that I use most of the time.

But, like all things in carving, you should go with what works best for you. If you like a flat head mallet, go for it.

Mike

Matt Evans
09-06-2010, 3:23 PM
Greg,

I use both, and often for the same purposes. Round mallets are easy to make, and, as mentioned by others, eliminate the need for orienting the face of the mallet. I find that assembly of furniture is better done with a flat mallet (for me, anyway)

However, I have a square headed carving mallet and a round knockdown mallet as well. And use both.

I suppose it is a matter of preference, like so many things in woodworking.

Gary Herrmann
09-06-2010, 5:59 PM
I don't carve, but I do use the mallet I turned with chisels and other tools.

I made it to fit my hand and the way I work. At some point, I'll make a flat mallet for other work.

Jim Koepke
09-06-2010, 9:31 PM
I don't carve, but I do use the mallet I turned with chisels and other tools.

I made it to fit my hand and the way I work. At some point, I'll make a flat mallet for other work.

That is easy, just use a plane on one face of a lathe turned mallet.

jim