PDA

View Full Version : OT but wood related

jared herbert
09-06-2010, 9:21 AM
Just tried to attach a picture hope it works. Anyway these guys, monarch butterflys showed up here, northwest Iowa, last Saturday for their annual visit on their way to Mexico. They have been in the same tree on very nearly the same day in
the first week of September for more than 20 years and probably a lot longer than that. The tree is about 40 feet from our house, a large green ash. There were 100's of monarchs. They arrive in the afternoon, roost on the tree branches and than leave the next morning when the sun hits them and they warm up. I dont think you can really see it in the picture but when the monarchs are resting with their wings folded up, they blend in very well and are hard to see next to the winged seedpods that are hanging on the trees. I was wondering what will happen to them when the emerald ash borer gets here and kills their favorite nesting spot. Jared

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2010, 2:24 PM
nice picture!

David G Baker
09-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Same thing happens in Carmel California in the same time period every year.

Van Huskey
09-06-2010, 6:35 PM
Very cool, I love to see butterfly "swarms"!

Gene Howe
09-06-2010, 8:00 PM
Nice picture. Great little bit of info, too.
We're providing a Swallow nesting spot on the screen of our patio. They've returned for 5 years now. Don't know if they stick to a set date. Never marked it on the calendar. We keep looking for them every year.