PDA

View Full Version : Getting figured maple grain to pop?

Steve LaFara
09-06-2010, 1:43 AM
What is the best finishing method to get the grain to pop on figured maple? I'm making some handles and would like a warm brownish tone but want the figuring to pop as much as possible.

I've tried the HUT PPP Step 1 & 2 brown and cream colored bars and although it makes the grain pop some, the color is too light for my taste. Need to add some color and depth if possible. Love the feel of the HUT, just not the color.

Any ideas?

William Hutchinson
09-06-2010, 2:52 AM
Dye is your friend, either water or alcohol as a carrier. (Don't use an oil based.) Use a dark color to deepen the contrast between hard and soft grain. After the dye is dried, sand back the piece leaving the dye only in the soft grain. This can be done several times, deeping the color. Then add the top coat you prefer.

Try this technique on scrap material first to achieve the look that you prefer. Take the test finish to completion with your final top coat. Dyes will look very dull until finished.

Check out this video to get the jest of it: http://charlesneilwoodworking.com/category_player.php?type=1&cat=3&video=tigerpop.flv

philip labre
09-06-2010, 5:43 AM
+1 on the dyes and then a coat of BLO to make them pop, then finish of your choice.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2010, 10:42 AM
In addition to dyes - you can also fume maple using ammonia. Would take a couple of days - but would give it a different look than dyes. Other option is to use a steel wool/vinegar solution and ebonize the wood. It would turn totally black - but then sand it back to the level of color you want and apply an oil-based poly to really make the grain pop.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

David E Keller
09-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd go with the options listed so far, but there is another. Chromium trioxide can be used to darken maple. I think it's an old gun maker trick. I ordered some but I haven't used it because the stuff is a carcinogen!:eek: Again, I wouldn't suggest using it, but I just wanted to mention it for completeness.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-06-2010, 1:42 PM
I personally don't like any dyes or stains, and I love the true color of wood. I've added tung oil over the HUT. And give it a spin to dry.

Just my $0.02.

Steve LaFara
09-06-2010, 1:54 PM
I personally don't like any dyes or stains, and I love the true color of wood. I've added tung oil over the HUT. And give it a spin to dry.

Just my $0.02.

Tung oil OVER the HUT???? I assumed that the HUT would seal the wood so how does the Tung Oil do anything? Pardon my ignorance as I've done very little finishing on a lathe.

Marvin Hasenak
09-06-2010, 2:15 PM
Try the steel wool and vinegar mix, then take a torch and very lightly hit with some heat from a propane or Mapp gas torch. The grain will pop like on old muzzleloaders. Then lightly sand with 600 grit and use what ever finish you want.

John Hart
09-06-2010, 2:46 PM
I found BLO to be a good "popper" and would darken the maple just a tad.

Steve LaFara
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I thought I would share the results of all your shared wisdom. This is my first curley maple turning and it just so happens to be for another tool that will get used a fair amount in my shop. It's a stubby screwdriver that is made to fit the chip breakers on hand planes and the screw on an Eclipse jig used to sharpen plane blades and chisels. I ended up applying a coat of garnet shelac, sanded back to pop the grain a little, then applied a second coat of shelac. After drying, a coat of HUT PPP brown and cream friction polish finished it off.

I love the look and feel of this and plan on making many, many more like it. Thanks for all the help!

http://www.fototime.com/CF206F5CDFE30ED/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/899AC6263AA810A/standard.jpg

I appologize for the crummy I-phone pictures. It looks a lot more striking that what is seen here.

Jim Burr
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey Steve, I use "Trash maple" ;) for Cigar pens all the time. CSUSA has lots of cool dyes that really make the grain and whatever else in the wood pop like crazy! There are other sources and other types...just happened to be what I use:D