PDA

View Full Version : Heves engraving inks

john passek
09-06-2010, 1:31 AM
Has anyone heard of or tried heves (http://www.hevesengravingink.com) engraving ink.
It appears to be made in argentina.
It discoulors painted surfaces. plastics car bodies etc.
The laser does not penetrate the substrate taking the paint off to bare metal it just goes deep enough to color the surface, long lasting and and very durrable.
Just thought I'd share

http://netic.com.ar/laserinks/plastic.htm

Mike Null
09-06-2010, 6:03 AM
If they can't show better samples than that I wouldn't be willing to try it.

Dan Hintz
09-06-2010, 8:22 AM
I can't see anything special about it. You laser through a mask, apply the "ink", and then remove the mask. I do the same with paint. Their "permanent mark" appears to be dyeing the paint already on an item.

Rodne Gold
09-06-2010, 8:43 AM
Dan , It doesnt seem to be mask you need to apply ink to after - where did you see that?
I looked at their instructions for use - they dont mention anything about applying paint and ink after?
What would worry me is the durability....
Also looks like it will infringe the Cermark/thermark/whatever patent ...
I would love to try some tho...

Dan Hintz
09-06-2010, 8:56 AM
Rodney,

At the bottom of the second page linked, click on the "Paint" link at the bottom of the page. Also, the "Use Manual" link at the top of the page shows a "Heves 7007 film" being lasered through to the substrate and the ink poured over the top.

In a nutshell, the laser never touches the ink, it's merely used as a tool to cut through a mask. No patents to infringe as it's nothing different than anything we haven't already done.

Rodne Gold
09-06-2010, 9:02 AM
I don't see that pic of paint being poured?
I don't see any mention of having to paint after the item has been laser engraved???

Viktor Voroncov
09-06-2010, 9:50 AM
Application is same as for Cermark. Have got their prices - too high :( for reselling. Quality - big question. Extermely expensive logistic from Argentina :(

Norberto Coutinho
09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I think that word "film" means the tickness of paint to be applied.

Richard Rumancik
09-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Interesting link, John.

There seem to be a few different products; one seems to do something similar to Cermark on stainless, while another product adds a color layer to pre-painted substrate (such as metal or plastic). They can add metallic colors to plastics directly. So there are options that Cermark does not address.

The quality of the photos is not very good; and some of the graphics seem rather rough. I don't know if this is a characteristic of the materials or the laser that made them. If the resolution can't be improved then it is not suitable for a quality mark, but I suspect some of it is due to use of too low dpi settings and perhaps a poor positioning system.

The website is a bit hard to navigate and the translations into English are poor. But they seem to have some innovative products.

I did not see the products that required a masking film followed by paint.

Dan Hintz
09-06-2010, 2:12 PM
This is the "Paint" image I was talking about...
http://netic.com.ar/laserinks/images/laser-engraving-in-paint.jpg
It doesn't appear to have anything to do with a laser other than having a laser cut a mask and applying the ink over the top of the mask. Once the ink has dyed the paint, remove mask. Not a Cermark replacement. The text accompanying the image makes mention of lasering through the paint to bare metal as leaving a portal for corrosion (another way of saying "our product doesn't promote corrosion as we don't require bare metal.").

Gary Hair
09-06-2010, 2:37 PM
It doesn't appear to have anything to do with a laser other than having a laser cut a mask and applying the ink over the top of the mask. Once the ink has dyed the paint, remove mask.

I think you are misreading it Dan. Here are the steps on their instructions page:

1. Prepare the surface, SHAKE the bottle with the suitable product and load the already humid brush, by plunging it until the half of the hairs
2. Apply smoothly on the surface in a single passing and with the brush almost horizontal to the surface, never vertical)
3. The film must be uniform, continuous and thin, which is achieved easily with brush and little practice or even using aerograph or air spray (previous dilution of the product with water)
4. Let dry and apply the laser at the established power and time. It is always convenient to test these variables in a sample of the material, before the real work.
5. After marking remove the surplus by washing with water and by cleaning out with a wet sponge or cloth.

There is nothing about applying a mask. Step 4 and 5 tell you to laser their product and then wash off the excess.

Gary

Dan Hintz
09-06-2010, 4:46 PM
Ahhhhh, now I see what the rest of you are... the "film" is actually a spray coating of the material, like Cermark. Gotcha. English as a second language wasn't helping them in that case, at least for me...

It has the potential to be an infringer, but it will depends upon the makeup of the "ink". Cermark's patent relies upon a mixture of glass frit, a power absorber, mineral compounds, etc. I've considered formulas to get around it but haven't had the time to try them out.

Tom Bull
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I have used ceramic paint, low firing, on stainless steel. Not too dark a mark, but very durable: 2 years continuous daily use on a multi-tool.

Robert Walters
09-26-2010, 5:50 PM
I have used ceramic paint, low firing

Hi Tom,

Got a link to this "ceramic paint" by chance?