PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity to buy a Boice Crane shaper - go for it?

Matt Day
09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I found a Boice Crane shaper locally for $100 and was wondering if I should invest in it. From what I can tell it's a model 2100, probably built in the 60's, with a 1HP model. It looks in pretty good shape and likely just needs a going over to make sure everything works smoothly and some cleaning of the top CI.

I use a router currently in my TS wing, and it works pretty good. I have a small shop right now and I don't think I'd really have room for it now, but we'll be moving in about 10 months (hopefully buying) and I'll have more room then. I have never really found myself saying "I need a shaper for this task" while using my router table.

I've never used a shaper before but assume it's basically a big table mounted router. I don't have any shaper cutters of course, so I'd have to invest in some.

I wonder if this would be a good project, or if it's not worth it. Any input would be great - thanks!

jared herbert
09-06-2010, 7:23 AM
I have a very small craftsman shaper. It is really a handy thing to have around. For a hundred bucks I would buy it in a minute. You would be surprised how much you might use it. Jared

Rusty Eads
09-06-2010, 7:43 AM
I have a WWII era boice crane 24" scroll saw that is a monster. I can vouch for the quality of their product, they knew how to make'm. I'm sure you can find plenty of uses for the shaper.

Carroll Courtney
09-06-2010, 7:48 AM
Providing there are no hidden problems such as crack or broken casting and the bearings are in good shape its well worth it.Replacing bearings is no problem and hopefully the motor is in good shape and the spindle is 1/2 or 3/4.You can make or purchase a moble base to move it out of the way,and cutters are cheaper than router bits.It cannot replace the router,but they do complement each other.
There is a learning curve on using the shaper safely,if all else fails you can sell it and make money.Post pics are it did not happen---Carroll

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Have you read about these shapers on the owwm site?

Another one to consider would be the delta heavy duty shaper. Made for a long time, plentiful, and sometimes very cheap. Delta still sells some of the parts, and there is a very knowledgeable man who frequents the owwm site that will rebuild the bearing cartridge, and provide new spindles. So the machine is old, but not entirely an orphan.

One thing you will find about shapers is that if you turn any larger cutters (big enough that you need to turn down the speed on a variable speed router), a shaper is a new game as far as power and control.

One thing that I am finding out is that much of the good used tooling you might encounter will be 1.25 inch, and to turn this you would want a bigger shaper.

Matt Day
09-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I guess I knew the answer I'd get asking you guys! I emailed the seller to make sure it turns on and there aren't any major issues, and to see when I can stop by. Oh, I should probably run it by the wife first too :)

Matt Day
09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Those are some very good points Stephen, thanks a lot. That's kind of what I was looking for - I don't know much about shapers and I want it to be a functional, relatively safe, useful tool and not something I'm going to get rid of in a year.

So you're saying that there aren't many cutters available at 1/2" or 3/4"? Can I use standard 1/2" router bits in it?

george wilson
09-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Boice Crane made good machines. About similar in Quality to Delta,I suppose. My first jointer was an old 6" Boice Crane that must have been used in the Army. It was painted olive drab. I kept it for several years until i found an old Dewalt in better condition. Dewalt in the 60's marketed a 6" jointer as a companion to their 10" table saw(made by Clausing),which I bought new in 1964 for $600.00 IIRC, and still have. The saw is MUCH better than the old Delta Unisaw,and weighs about twice as much.

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Those are some very good points Stephen, thanks a lot. That's kind of what I was looking for - I don't know much about shapers and I want it to be a functional, relatively safe, useful tool and not something I'm going to get rid of in a year.

So you're saying that there aren't many cutters available at 1/2" or 3/4"? Can I use standard 1/2" router bits in it?

There are plenty of 1/2 and particularly 3/4 inch cutters, but most industrial shapers seem to be 1 1/4. So if you want to take advantage of used cutters, most will be 1 1/4. As for router bits, firs you would need a spindle that accepts them, and they would need to be bigger bits. Small bits designed to cut at 20,000 rpm won't perform well at at 10,000 rpm. The pulleys can be changed to adjust speed, but the bearings will be a limiting factor.

I am also just getting started with shapers, and there are lots of people who post here who know much, much more than me. One thing I have read is that the price of the shaper is just the beginning, and the cutters end up being the larger investment.

Here is a good shaper book:
http://www.owwm.com/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1060

Matt Day
09-06-2010, 4:04 PM
Turns out it got sold this morning before the seller got back to me. Probably for the best, as I can't really fit one now. I'll do some research on them though to get more familiar with the tool. Thanks guys

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2010, 4:12 PM
Turns out it got sold this morning before the seller got back to me. Probably for the best, as I can't really fit one now. I'll do some research on them though to get more familiar with the tool. Thanks guys

It all works out for the best because there will be better (and worse) deals in the future.