PDA

View Full Version : I love pens!

Jim Burr
09-05-2010, 5:34 PM
All pen turners have seen the "elliptical effect" from a mandrel used one to many times:eek:. I took a ride on the wide side and picked up a M2 center and some "Between-the-center" bushings from JohnnyCNC. I couldn't be happier. It took about an hour to get used to the set up and being habitually absent-minded, but this stuff makes all the difference :D:D
Amboyna burl and Spalted Maple. Both have CAx3 finish with Ren Wax for fun.
Lemme know what you think!!

Matt Ranum
09-05-2010, 5:38 PM
Nothin wrong with those! TBC is on my list of things to do someday. :)

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 6:22 PM
Nicely done. I love the amboyna pen, but that spalted maple needs to come home with me!

Michael James
09-05-2010, 6:44 PM
Nice pens, good work, beautiful wood. I like the maple one!:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:16 PM
Those are really nice pens. I like the amboyna.

Mike Stephens
09-05-2010, 7:35 PM
Beautiful pens Jim.

Very well Done.

I can't decide which I like better.

David Drickhamer
09-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Nice job on the pens.

TBC is the way to go. If you plan on turning just a few of one style you don't even need bushings.

Jim Burr
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Thank you all! Now if the camera genie would knock on my door...

Derek Voigt
09-09-2010, 1:15 PM
Between centers is the way to go... I find it to be a bit slower then doing it on the stick, but it is usually a better quality.

Although i have managed to turn out of round pens between centers too... :rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
09-09-2010, 5:44 PM
Awesome looking pens...!!!
I just can't turn between centers. I've tried it, and can't get it together... :(
You've done well!!

James Combs
09-09-2010, 6:28 PM
Good looking pens but I have a question. I have used a mandrel for all of my pens but I have had the out of round problem and loose fitting bushings. One thing I have done is convert some off my smaller mandrel bushings to fit the larger mandrel. (I forget which is which A vs B.) I do a lot of slimline style pens turning both barrels at the same time which probably adds to the mandrel whip. I am assuming that when using TBC only one barrel gets turned at a time. Is that correct??

gary Zimmel
09-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Great looking pens Jim.

Billy Tallant
09-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Pens look great! Really like that 2nd pen.

Mack Cameron
09-10-2010, 7:07 AM
Good looking pens but I have a question. I have used a mandrel for all of my pens but I have had the out of round problem and loose fitting bushings. One thing I have done is convert some off my smaller mandrel bushings to fit the larger mandrel. (I forget which is which A vs B.) I do a lot of slimline style pens turning both barrels at the same time which probably adds to the mandrel whip. [quote]I am assuming that when using TBC only one barrel gets turned at a time. Is that correct?? I trust you don't mind me answering your question. Yes! is the answer.