PDA

View Full Version : Keetonish brown mallee form

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 4:38 PM
Well, after seeing several awesome pieces in this style posted here, I decided to give it a try myself. This a brown mallee burl with African blackwood steeck and holder upper. It's about 10" tall and 8" wide. Finished with shellac and tung oil... Just one coat so far.

Comments and criticism always appreciated.

I'll attach a couple of process photos in the next post.

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 4:45 PM
Here a few process shots:

Here is the burl cap mounted on a screw chuck with the tailstock up for support.

Here I've turned the outside of the form and formed a tenon for reversing. It's sanded to 600 here with shellac applied.

In this photo, I've completed the inside of the form. Although I forgot to take a photo, I started this step by coring out a wedge to use for the lid. I just used a parting tool.

In this photo, I've reversed the piece again and used a homemade block as a jam chuck. I turned away the bottom and left a small tenon for mounting onto the holder upper.

After that point, I got so caught up in the piece that I forgot to take any other photos. I'll try harder next time.

James Combs
09-05-2010, 5:13 PM
One word "Awesome"

Curt Fuller
09-05-2010, 5:13 PM
That is just incredible! What a beautiful piece of work!

gary Zimmel
09-05-2010, 5:23 PM
Wow. That is one very sweet piece!
Beautiful work on this one David...

Tony De Masi
09-05-2010, 5:28 PM
That is just one beautiful piece.

Very well done.

Paul Douglass
09-05-2010, 5:42 PM
very delicate and beautiful.

Aaron Wingert
09-05-2010, 6:34 PM
Heck of a nice piece David. I think it could easily hold its own among the best-looking things on steecks that we see here.

Dennis Ford
09-05-2010, 6:37 PM
Beautiful wood, you set up the proportions just right and created a high quality art piece.

John Keeton
09-05-2010, 6:40 PM
Extremely well done, David!!! Very nice work on the steecks! And, I am flattered by the reference!:o

Beautiful burl - is that one from Isaac? I tried one piece of Aussie burl one time, and swore off. But, this piece sure makes me want to try another one. Was the Mallee hard?

David Christopher
09-05-2010, 6:46 PM
WOW, that is beautiful

James Roberts
09-05-2010, 6:48 PM
Wow, David, that is a beautiful piece of wood and you did a great job creating such a spectacular piece. Love the abbreviated tutorial as well.

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 7:07 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Beautiful burl - is that one from Isaac? I tried one piece of Aussie burl one time, and swore off. But, this piece sure makes me want to try another one. Was the Mallee hard?

Thanks, John. I got this burl cap in a 'box o' burl' from one of the sellers on IAP... I believe it was Nolan Harris from Harris Burl Supply. He's got a website, but there's not much on it. I'm told it's better to call if you want something. I'll know that Isaac has brown mallee burl blanks, but I'm not sure about burl caps.

All of this stuff that I've turned has been hard as a rock and somewhat dusty. But, it scrapes beautifully, and I find them quite easy to finish. If you want to give it a go, let me know. I'll send you one with the check for the AB.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:08 PM
That is one beautiful piece David.

charlie knighton
09-05-2010, 7:48 PM
very nice....

Jon Lanier
09-05-2010, 8:22 PM
Wow, that is sweet!

Tim Rinehart
09-05-2010, 8:36 PM
Wow,
Superb!!

Very nice...great work.

Michael James
09-05-2010, 8:41 PM
David,
You are on a roll my man...on fire! Looks as good as anything I've seen! Ready to quit the day job?:cool:
mj

Tom Sherman
09-05-2010, 8:46 PM
Great work David, this piece looks great. Your steeker upper and your holder upper are superb.

Baxter Smith
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Great looking piece!

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Very delicate looking, David. Extremely nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2010, 11:45 PM
This is nice! Really like the pedestal - it's very delicate! Very good detail work on both pedestal and finial.

Just a personal observation (opinion), but I feel the onion of a finial should be slightly smaller than the onion/bulb on the pedestal. When a finial is larger, it tends to make the piece slightly top-heavy. As mentioned, that's just an opinion.

Very nice wood combination and finish. I keep coming back to the pedestal... nice design - especially the small foot.

Very nice work David!

David E Keller
09-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for commenting.

David,
You are on a roll my man...on fire! Looks as good as anything I've seen! Ready to quit the day job?:cool:
mj

I think I'll stick with the day job for a while. I'm definitely better at that than I am at turning.

This is nice! Really like the pedestal - it's very delicate! Very good detail work on both pedestal and finial.

Just a personal observation (opinion), but I feel the onion of a finial should be slightly smaller than the onion/bulb on the pedestal. When a finial is larger, it tends to make the piece slightly top-heavy. As mentioned, that's just an opinion.

Very nice wood combination and finish. I keep coming back to the pedestal... nice design - especially the small foot.

Very nice work David!

Thank you, Steve. I agree with you about the onion on the finial. Keith Burns made a similar comment on the WoodturnersAmerica site. I agree with you both, but alas, I'm too lazy to turn another. I very much appreciate the feedback... I find critical comments to be the most helpful in advancing my turning.

Scott Hackler
09-06-2010, 12:57 AM
David, you keep on cranking out the winners! This is really really nice and makes me want to order some Mallee to copy this form! Great job, as usual.

Cindy Navarro
09-06-2010, 1:33 AM
That is a very beautiful piece.

William Hutchinson
09-06-2010, 2:33 AM
That is a spectacular piece that you've created. It's amazing that from an ugly lump of wood this jewel emerged with your skilled hand. Well done.

Michelle Rich
09-06-2010, 5:52 AM
SPECTACULAR..Gorgeous delicate just wonderful

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 6:59 AM
David, I have been so busy with the other things I do that I have had little time to get on the lathe and really so some fancy work! Between you, John, and many others I feel like I have abandoned my passion for turning! I do have some bigger BL walnut bowls to post later today, but the are pretty boring compared to these wonderful works you have been turning out!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Mike Davis NC
09-06-2010, 7:27 AM
wow! :eek:

Matt Ranum
09-06-2010, 9:42 AM
Is it just me or does this "style" of turning just exude class and elegance?

Nice job!

Allen Neighbors
09-06-2010, 4:18 PM
WOW!!! (don't breathe on it!!)
Beautiful... I looked in my Funk & Wagnall's, and under the word, 'elegance', was a photo of this!! Just beautiful!

David E Keller
09-06-2010, 7:54 PM
WOW!!! (don't breathe on it!!)
Beautiful... I looked in my Funk & Wagnall's, and under the word, 'elegance', was a photo of this!! Just beautiful!

While you've got it out, look under 'funk' and you'll see my avatar photo!:cool: