PDA

View Full Version : White cedar burl

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 3:32 PM
Here's a little vase form that I turned from some white cedar burl. This is wood that I received in a trade from an IAP member. I'd never turned this stuff before, but it turns quite easily and smells nice. The scent was not as strong as the eastern red cedar that grows around here.

The form is about 6x3" and about 1/8 to 3/16 thick I'd guess. The finish is BLO followed by shellac and gloss WOP. I had a little adventure finishing this... I tried a rattle can gloss varnish that my wife bought from Hobby Lobby, and it was a disaster. I never could get a consistent covering despite using half a can in multiple coats. No matter what I tried, there were areas that looked dull and devoid of finish. I sanded the whole thing down and started over... twice!:mad:

Can you say chatoyance?:D

Comments and criticism always appreciated.

Tom Sherman
09-05-2010, 3:37 PM
Boy that wood has some serious stuff going on, looks like you made the best of it. Nice work Doc.

Mark Cothren
09-05-2010, 3:42 PM
Gorgeous piece of wood, David - and a nice turning! I like your use of the natural opening.

Dennis Ford
09-05-2010, 3:56 PM
I like it all, design, wood and finish. The form would look good with a plain wood but it is so much better with this burl

Michael James
09-05-2010, 3:56 PM
Can you say chatoyance?:D

I cannot say it all french-y like Clewes can, but yeah I can say chattoyAncy! and............ I even know what it means.

Excellent piece amigo, in all respects. I'm working on a couple little pieces that have voids, and find it fascinating to see it unfold... and wonder if it will make it to the finish line.
BTW, Im sticking to shellac and wipe on's for now.... no success with any sprays......:(

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 4:07 PM
Very nice form on an excellent piece of wood. I guess that it was fairly easy to clear out the shavings while you were hollowing it! :D

James Combs
09-05-2010, 4:22 PM
Very nice form on an excellent piece of wood. I guess that it was fairly easy to clear out the shavings while you were hollowing it! :D

Wish I had thought of that on couple of my previous turnings.:D

Very nice David. I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as white cedar outside of the sap wood of eastern red.:eek:

John Keeton
09-05-2010, 6:32 PM
David, that is a beautiful form, and the wood is fantastic!! I have heard of Michigan white cedar, and used some one time in a batheroom remodel a couple decades ago. The stuff I had was very white, and soft. This looks to have a lot more color.

Interesting grain pattern - makes one wonder how that thing came off the tree.

David Christopher
09-05-2010, 6:44 PM
very nice vase, I like the shape and the wood

Aaron Wingert
09-05-2010, 6:48 PM
I like how it can be viewed from two sides and it shows you two totally different things. Perfect on one side, big hole on the other. Pretty cool use of a really cool piece of material.

James Roberts
09-05-2010, 6:54 PM
Pretty piece of wood, that whole chatoyance is really working for you here. Love the void but I still think I would be scared to try it.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:12 PM
David that is one pretty piece. Really nice wood and form.

Jon McElwain
09-05-2010, 8:16 PM
I tried a rattle can gloss varnish .... never could get a consistent covering ..... areas that looked dull and devoid of finish.

I used to use the rattle can varnish and I probably still would if not for having some sense of a lack of finishing creativity! I experienced the same problems with consistency in the covering, especially on soft woods. I started using a wood conditioner and that help tremendously with even coverage on the finish coat.

Jon Lanier
09-05-2010, 8:20 PM
Now that belongs in a gallery.

Baxter Smith
09-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Beautiful wood in a beautiful shape!

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Excellent all the way around David! Wood, form, finish... you nailed it!

Tom Sherman
09-06-2010, 6:18 AM
Dave every time I come back to this post I am amazed all over again. I really like this one.

Jeff Nicol
09-06-2010, 6:54 AM
David, The wood is spectacular alone, but the form you chose uses it to it's best ability! The tiger stripes of figure in it are just wonderful! I think we all would like to have a truck load of the that stuff!

Great job,

Jeff