PDA

View Full Version : Boiling

David Woodruff
09-05-2010, 3:20 PM
I read in a post a few days ago that a lid goes on top of the drum when boiling. makes sense to keep the drum from going dry. Has any one put a pressure gauge in the lid, as well as a temperature gauge, then a weight on the lid to obtain a temperature in the 250-275 degree range. Given the lid should be able to release steam. I watched my Grandmother's canning pressure cooker and seemed like she had a choice of 7.5 or 15 psi. I remember that 15 psi developed around 250 deg.F or about 1 bar therefore absolute pressure would be around 30 psi or slightly over 2 bar. The pressure we are concerned about is 15 psi to achieve 250 deg.F . What we are trying to effect here is permanently achieving a condition that sets the wood fibers in their current positional state. Same thing happens in steam bending furniture, boat ribs,bows, etc. etal. Maybe the higher temp woud do a better job. Just thinking out loud and inquiring if any one has experimented along this line. Thanks for your replies. One thing that has fascinated me with The Creekers is the varied things they do in experimental learning and then sharing the collective knowledge.

Dennis Ford
09-05-2010, 4:00 PM
I have not done this and would be very scared to try it. Just a few pounds of steam pressure can be very dangerous if things go wrong. I believe the theory is sound but would require a real pressure vessel not just a drum.

CW McClellan
09-05-2010, 4:30 PM
1- The lid I believe is not latched down and will let the pressure off
2-The lid is just to help keep heat in therefore boiling quicker and not requireing more water
3-Grandmas pressure cooker has a relief valve on the center top to release the pressure at given lbs. if it is stopped up as my dad cooked dog food once it exploded all over the kitchen --required painting ect.
just like a bomb :eek:

Thomas Bennett
09-05-2010, 6:08 PM
I was wondering , also, about putting some pressure on the steam. There is a huge institutional kitchen steamer going up for auction near here. It is outfitted for natural gas but I was thinking it could be converted to propane. All stainless steel, a "stand alone" unit. It looks like it would be ideal for bowls, eith under pressure or not.

David Woodruff
09-05-2010, 6:31 PM
I have not done this and would be very scared to try it. Just a few pounds of steam pressure can be very dangerous if things go wrong. I believe the theory is sound but would require a real pressure vessel not just a drum.

Dennis, had not thought that far; a drum is not a pressure vessel. Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:16 PM
The one my friend made out of a barrel has a lid that just sits on top. Unless approved for pressure I wouldn't even try it.

Michael James
09-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Has anyone just put a piece in a regular pressure cooker to test that? I dont see how that could be dangerous, if attended.

David Woodruff
09-06-2010, 1:43 PM
Has anyone just put a piece in a regular pressure cooker to test that? I dont see how that could be dangerous, if attended.

Michael, We have a restaurant store that also sells to walk-ins. I am going to check their prices for pressure vessels. I like this idea so I will implement and report the results. I hope they have iron as we have an induction cook top. So the final question becomes will the wife let me cook wood on her cherished cook top???????? My gut tells me it is doubtful. May as well seek the alternate heat source while I am at it. Ring of fire sounds promising. The thought that fascinates me; is it possible to rough turn a HF, boil the beast at 250 deg.F + and finish turning a few hours later. Will that water/steam temp. for an hour set the fibers so they are happy and don,t do weird stuff upon further turning and drying. I guess with a one vessel cooker, if necessary you could throw it back in the pot for another cook. I like the notion of this project. Obviously the people that have sugested a drum is not a pressure vessel are right on.

Dan Kralemann
09-06-2010, 2:06 PM
You may wish to read this:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/boiling-green-wood.html

You may also contact Steve directly via email. He will responded within a week or two.

John Hart
09-06-2010, 2:38 PM
For what it is worth...I'll be pressure cooking some wood in the next couple of weeks. I need to do some bending for wooden flower stems and some cattails that I've turned, and I planned on using our pressure cooker in that process. I figured, "Why not throw a couple of turned pieces in there with them?"

Ya know...just to see what's cookin'. :)

David Woodruff
09-06-2010, 7:30 PM
For what it is worth...I'll be pressure cooking some wood in the next couple of weeks. I need to do some bending for wooden flower stems and some cattails that I've turned, and I planned on using our pressure cooker in that process. I figured, "Why not throw a couple of turned pieces in there with them?"

Ya know...just to see what's cookin'. :)
John, Let me now what happens and I will do the same, Regards, David