PDA

View Full Version : Wine stopper help

Chuck Goodpaster
09-05-2010, 2:59 PM
Hello everyone... I have really enjoyed looking around the site. I just bought a lathe last month. I have been making wine stoppers like they are going out of style. I would like to make some in college colors. Any colored material better/easier to use than another? I have only turned wood so far. Thanks for any help! Chuck

Tom Sherman
09-05-2010, 3:33 PM
First of all Welcome to the Creek Chuck. Check out the websites for Craft Supplies or Penstate or even Woodcraft for starters you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Greg Just
09-05-2010, 4:30 PM
A couple of websites that might help:

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/bsb.html

http://www.collegegolfstore.com/

The College Golf Store sells golfball markers that can be inserted into the top of the wine stopper with your favorite college logo.

I have no ties to either website, just a former customer.

Chuck Goodpaster
09-05-2010, 4:54 PM
Thanks guys....

Aaron Wingert
09-05-2010, 6:50 PM
Ruth Niles' site lots of nice examples of different artists' bottle stoppers, and she sells the best stoppers money can buy IMHO. Good inspiration on her site!

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:13 PM
Arizona Silhouette has some nice blanks. I like doing the acrylic because they buff out so nice.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Chuck - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Jim Burr
09-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Welcome Chuck!!
Bernie's source, Arizona Silhouettes is great. Ruth Niles can't be beat. I have everything she's put out. Not paid by either one...just buy lot's of their stuff:D

David E Keller
09-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Welcome, Chuck. There are several companies that make laminated colored wood products that might fit your needs. Acrylics will typically give you the most vibrant colors if you're trying to match team colors. Also, some figured woods like curly/quilted/burly maple or box elder lend themselves to dyeing. You can use food coloring to experiment with coloring if you'd like.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your work.