PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hollow form #3

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 2:30 PM
This is a piece that I made to get more comfortable with the Monster hollowing rig. It is 9" wide x 3" tall. The entrance hole is 1 1/8" across and the walls are 1/4" thick. Finished with 3 coats of Danish Oil. The shape almost seems to ask for a finial, but I am not much of a finial person, plus everyone wants to look into the hole to see if it is really hollow!
Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 3:04 PM
That's really nice looking. I love the look of the sapwood area in the first photo.

It's all a matter of taste, but I prefer to narrow the bottom to a smaller foot or sometimes no foot at all. I love the upper portion of the form as you've done it... I find that type of top to be fairly challenging with the monster. In fact, I usually hand hollow the shoulder area of the forms before using the monster in the deeper portions. I'm not sure why, but I find the hand hollowing to be easier.

Thanks for posting.

Scott Hackler
09-05-2010, 3:13 PM
Looks good. I would only add a finial, but I'm obsessed with them these days, so what do I know!

Tom Sherman
09-05-2010, 3:22 PM
Robert, this one is looking fine, you are getting the hang of the Monster I'ld say.

John Keeton
09-05-2010, 3:29 PM
...plus everyone wants to look into the hole to see if it is really hollow!Robert, do a finial!! They can remove the finial to look inside.

I like this one, and that would be a heck of a challenge to hollow for me! I have yet to do a more pronounced shoulder, like that.

Great color on these forms, Robert! I am looking forward to doing something with the mesquite I have.

Tony De Masi
09-05-2010, 3:42 PM
Antoher keeper Robert. I like the looks as it is and would not put a finial on top, but I suck at making finials so what do I know.

Michael James
09-05-2010, 3:46 PM
Robert, nice job all around. I like the shape, and great finish job. I'm working on getting some mesquite my way... my connection that is NOT a wood worker at all, wants to pick up twigs.... Im hoping for trunks!!!
Keep em coming!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 7:24 PM
Robert that is a great looking piece. I agree a finial would be not but not necessary.

charlie knighton
09-05-2010, 7:45 PM
very nice....

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 8:14 PM
I love the upper portion of the form as you've done it... I find that type of top to be fairly challenging with the monster. In fact, I usually hand hollow the shoulder area of the forms before using the monster in the deeper portions.

I am sure that this violates all Monster usage rules, common sense, and general turning etiquette, but I was able to reach all of the inside top and out to the edge using the Monster arm. I hollowed out the middle area to give myself some room, but left enough mass to keep things stable. I have the 45 degree holder and I install it UPSIDE DOWN. I then turned the cutter over and this left the cutter right side up and pointing BACK AT ME at a 45 degree angle. I then adjusted the laser so that it was measuring off the side of cutter point so that I was getting the actual thickness measurement of the top as I thinned it out, then flipped things over and finished off the inside of the shoulder. Clear as mud?

P.S. There is no foot on the form.

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 9:00 PM
I am sure that this violates all Monster usage rules, common sense, and general turning etiquette, but I was able to reach all of the inside top and out to the edge using the Monster arm. I hollowed out the middle area to give myself some room, but left enough mass to keep things stable. I have the 45 degree holder and I install it UPSIDE DOWN. I then turned the cutter over and this left the cutter right side up and pointing BACK AT ME at a 45 degree angle. I then adjusted the laser so that it was measuring off the side of cutter point so that I was getting the actual thickness measurement of the top as I thinned it out, then flipped things over and finished off the inside of the shoulder. Clear as mud?

P.S. There is no foot on the form.

That actually makes sense to me, but I would have never thought to try it. Thanks... I'll give it a go next time I hook up with the monster.

p.s. I said foot and meant base... I think I'll just stick my base, er, uh, foot back in my mouth.:o:)

Baxter Smith
09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I love the grain and color on the bottom! I wonder if adding a finial would make a person less likely to pick it up, turn it over in their hands, and look at its prettiest side. I roughed out a spruce burl HF this summer that I can't decide if I would want a finial or not, for just that reason. I won't have to decide for awhile.:) I am sure it would look nice either way.

Kirk Miller
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Robert,
Beautiful work. I may have to try to imitate that piece in the future. It looks incredible

Kirk

David Christopher
09-05-2010, 11:25 PM
nice shape and color....

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Nice work on a very contemporary form! Sure is some pretty wood and your finish really brings it to life!