PDA

View Full Version : An 18th.C. Amputation knife Jon and I made

george wilson
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't recall if this knife has been posted before. We were asked to make many different tools in the toolmaker's shop. I always enjoyed making surgical instruments for the Apothecary Shop. It gave us the opportunity to make something extra nice. Surgical tools were among the pinnacle of fine craftsmanship in the 18th.C.(and other times as well).

This knife,and others were very highly polished so that blood would not etch into their surfaces if they were soon wiped clean. The blood couldn't get a "grip" so easily on polished steel.

I made the blade,and Jon,my journeyman,made the ebony handle. Jon came from the Gunsmith shop to join me. Though a very skilled craftsman himself,he had never used a wood lathe before. Jon didn't take long to pick it up,though. He is one of a handful in the country who can weld up a rifle barrel from a flat bar of genuine wrought iron,and bore and rifle it using only the primitive tools available in the 18th.C..

This blade was a challenge to me because it is very hollow in shape,and is hollow ground,too.It could only be freehand ground in our shop,or,indeed in the past,too. I was concerned because we only have a flat grinding belt to present the blade to. I was fairly sure that the original knives of this type would have been ground on a somewhat convex grinding wheel. It would have fitted the shape better.

While I had made a number of straight knives,I knew that this one would take a very steady hand to not generate an "up and down" surface,since only the very edges of the belt would be actually doing the grinding,if you see what I mean.

Somehow,I did manage to pull it off and grind the blade with what we had. This was done completely by hand,so sort of fits into the Neanderthal section,though it misses out on being a woodworking tool! It DID lead to the use of wood,though(for a leg)!!The blade is extremely thin as the cutting edge is approached. It is like a straight razor in its thinness,making it even more challenging to grind. It really is surprising how good you can get at freehand grinding if you work at it. I encourage all you who use sharpening jigs to get weened off of them.

The blade was highly polished by hand. A key telltale in fine craftsmanship is to not buff something to death,and round off the corners. Edges must be hard and crisp. The only way to do this is to polish by hand,with abrasive covered sticks,etc..

I sharpened the knife enough so it would cut,but did not get it so sharp that the apothecaries would easily cut themselves just by touching the blade. Sometimes they will cut on fruits or vegetables to demonstrate surgical techniques.

This knife is a fairly early 18th.C. style. Later ones became less curved,and eventually,straight. Notice the "upside down" handle. It is correct,and gives clues to how the knife was held in use.

Gary Hodgin
09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
That's some knife! I would hope to be well-sedated before seeing my surgeon coming at me with something like that. Modern anesthesia is great. As always, I enjoyed your post.

Roger Newby
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice work by both of you, but that knife say pain every time I look at it. It looks fiercely sharp.

george wilson
09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
It was very sharp,in use!! The first emotion I felt when I first went to the apothecary and saw their surgical tools(originals from collections dept.. They weren't allowed to use),was pity. The people in the past tried so hard to make such surgical tools of the very highest quality. Yet,they were used with no anesthetic,and the pain they suffered was terrible.

In the artifacts from Henry the 8th's ship,the Mary Rose,in the doctor's kit was a big wooden mallet for knocking patients out.

A terrible thing is,they had narcotics,nothing new about them. But,in their usual twisted logic,they felt that humans were put on this Earth to suffer. So,they did not administer them. How crazy is that?

Ron Petley
09-05-2010, 1:57 PM
George:
Exelent work, very nicly done. You are multi talented man.
Yes freehand grinding is a skill. Nice lines and a crisp plunge.
What type of steel is the blade. Is it stock removal or a forged job.
It would also take some skill to sharpen a curved blade like that. I would think the early blades were made of high carbon steel, which would easily rust or be etched by acids. Live blood has a Ph of close to 7.4 but becomes acidic once it leaves the system, so to speak.
I would think you would need a little body english to grind around the curve and not get to thin on the inside of the curve just before the hooked tip begins.
Yes part of the surgeons skill was in how fast he could do the procedure, no hours long operations, measuring it in seconds was the goal, to minimize pain and blood loss.:eek:.
Great knife, nice all around job, very intersting project, as a build, as well as a historical point.
Cheers Ron.

Zach England
09-05-2010, 2:19 PM
Have you tried it out yet?

george wilson
09-05-2010, 2:42 PM
Since we had only minimal blacksmithing tools at our shop,I sawed the blade out of carbon steel and ground it from there. We always relied on the Blacksmith Shop to make any forgings. I didn't want to have to wait months for a forging,as the knife was needed asap.

It is true,plain,non stainless carbon steel will rust and get blood stained. That is why they polished the surgical tools so highly. For a while,the blood just balls up on the surface,so they wiped the tools clean before that happened.

I really think that 18th.C. people had to know how to take care of their things better by far than modern people. So many things,like harpsichords,had delicate mechanisms,and required frequent tuning and fettling(as they say here),today,they would soon become inoperable for sure. After I had made the new harpsichord,with some help from Marcus(my new apprentice),We were always going to the Music Teacher's Shop and burnishing parts of the mechanism of their new harpsichord,and tuning. Most other modern makers use plastic parts in them today. One of the girls in that shop was a little snot,and wanted me to build a harpsichord that "would work." Her father had a plastic mechanismed harpsichord,and she,in her arrogance and ignorance,could not understand that the all wood EXACT replica needed attention just like the originals. She was 15 and thought she knew it all! Spoiled rich kid to boot.

Eventually,the parts settled down,and the instrument worked more reliably. It has been played so much by now that there are ivory keys where the ivory has worn through to the wood!!

Harlan Barnhart
09-05-2010, 3:28 PM
Mr. Wilson, does the "upside down" handle mean it was used upside down, i.e. curve up?

Rick Markham
09-05-2010, 5:11 PM
Ah the upside down handle, it's held like a butcher's scimitar, which speaks volumes to the style of cutting done back then :D Which in actuality when a butchers scimitar is held that way, it is used in connective tissue cutting (intra muscular connective tissue to be exact) absolutely the most precise technique of meat cutting. separating muscles into individuals without actually damaging the muscle fibers. It makes perfect sense... There are some pretty "amusing" stories of some of the surgeons and how quickly they could "do the job" seeing as how anethestics weren't used... amusing as long as your not the amputee :eek:

george wilson
09-05-2010, 5:51 PM
I believe they reached under the limb,blade upwards,and drew the knife around the limb backwards. I THINK that's how it was used.

Thomas love
09-05-2010, 7:53 PM
Gary, Was about to post the same exact reply. thanks.
tom

Thomas love
09-05-2010, 7:57 PM
ohoooooohohoohoooo? thats horrible and truly neander,

george wilson
09-05-2010, 9:47 PM
One doctor was so fast that he not only cut off the limb,but also 2 fingers of his assistant!!!:)

Rick Markham
09-06-2010, 9:32 AM
I've heard one story George, during the civil war of a surgeon who was so quick at amputating legs that he had castrated a patient simultaneously :eek: For some reason I recall that story as a child from visiting Gettysburg, although it might have been one of the many other civil war battlefields we visited.

Those were the "amusing" stories I was referring to. Surgery in those days was pretty brutal and inhuman. I guess some people managed to live through it. I think I would have been requesting the mallet to knock me out with...

Will Boulware
09-06-2010, 9:58 AM
Beautiful blade! Spooky, but beautiful! :D

Van Huskey
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Surgery in those days was pretty brutal and inhuman. I guess some people managed to live through it. I think I would have been requesting the mallet to knock me out with...

Wonder what they will think about our surgery techniques in a couple of hundred years...

Wicked cool knife, thanks for posting George.

David Weaver
09-07-2010, 9:32 AM
Exceptionally nice knife, George, made all the more menacing by the fact that someone would have it edge-up yanking on someone. Must've made a mess.

Love the crispness of the lines on it since you took the time to finish the metal by hand. The grind looks very nice and delicate - it's good you didn't ruin it by buffing all of the lines out of it.