PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol to clean up wet wood glue?

Philip Florio
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
To prevent raising the grain can I use denatured alcohol to wipe off excessive wood glue instead of water?

Thanks,
Phil

Chris Padilla
09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I assume you're using PVA (good old white or yellow) glue?

glenn bradley
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
To your question. PVA is not alcohol based so I do not think you will get the result you are after. t would be easy enough to run a bead of glue along a piece of scrap and then use DNA to wipe it off and check the status after a few hours.

I have always had finish problems when wiping wet glue. there always seems to be some residue left behind. I set a timer for about 30 minutes and then return and pare the glue off with a chisel if there is any squeeze out.

Ron Citerone
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
To your question. PVA is not alcohol based so I do not think you will get the result you are after. t would be easy enough to run a bead of glue along a piece of scrap and then use DNA to wipe it off and check the status after a few hours.

I have always had finish problems when wiping wet glue. there always seems to be some residue left behind. I set a timer for about 30 minutes and then return and pare the glue off with a chisel if there is any squeeze out.

I've been thinking about wiping on some finish to the face area adjacent to the edges to be glued and letting it dry before glueing up a furniture side. In other words the squeeze out will sit on finish, not unfinished wood. I do this on splines for boxes and it works pretty good. In the past I had access to a wide planer and planed wide panels. Now with my 13" planer, I live in fear of glue marks

Has anyone tried this?

Bob Wingard
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I've been thinking about wiping on some finish to the face area adjacent to the edges to be glued and letting it dry before glueing up a furniture side. In other words the squeeze out will sit on finish, not unfinished wood. I do this on splines for boxes and it works pretty good. In the past I had access to a wide planer and planed wide panels. Now with my 13" planer, I live in fear of glue marks

Has anyone tried this?

A little blue tape in accessible areas, and some wax in hard to reach corners. The wax can be washed away with any number of solvents.

Wherever possible, I prefer to clamp up the joint .. apply a strip of tape .. slit the tape at the joint .. unclamp .. glue.

Kent A Bathurst
09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
.........A little blue tape in accessible areas....

Ah, yes-the ubiquitous blue tape. +1

Chris Padilla
09-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I also prefer to pre-finish as much as possible prior to glue-up. After that, good old blue tape to the rescue.

Mike Cruz
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Funny, I'm always trying to find a way to clean up the alcohol off my projects...:rolleyes:

Don Selke
09-05-2010, 1:59 PM
I pre-finish everything prior to assembly and Yes, thank the Lord for blue tape.

Dan Hintz
09-05-2010, 4:51 PM
Mike,

Use a cup with a lid... alcohol spills are party fouls!