PDA

View Full Version : Easy Wood Tools?

Ned Ladner
09-05-2010, 8:58 AM
From those of you with experience with easy wood tools, do you feel they are an adequate (or superior) replacement for your complete arsenal?

Or, do they complement conventional woodturning tools?

As a researching beginner, I've read posts on other forums that tend to indicate that they "do it all", and better, so is there any point to investing in other tools such as scrapers, gouges, etc.?

Nate Davey
09-05-2010, 9:20 AM
I don't think they entirely replace "traditional" tools. They are a nice supplement to them. That being said, my brother was here and turned an entire closed form with nothing more than my rougher and the finishing tool. Needed all most no sanding. So take that for what it is worth...

Ken Glass
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Ned,
I use the easy rougher tools on most blanks, but not all, to start with, then out come the other tools to finish up.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I guess you could use these tools exclusively but I would use them to compliment my other tools. I don't have any of those tools so can't comment on them. I would not buy them to replace my traditional tools.

Alan Trout
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
This is my take on them. I own one and do use and like the tool very much. It gives me an option that I did not have before but I still feel it is very important for a beginner to learn to use conventional tools first. Then if you want to add these tools to your arsenal they are great. There are things you can do with a conventional tools that you cannot do with EWT. but you have to learn these techniques first.

Proper use of conventional tools come from instruction, be it paid or by mentoring. You need to join a local club if possible or pay and take a class these things will pay bigger benefits than any tool you ever buy.

I am also a believer that learning spindle turning before bowl/vessel turning is also important. IMHO spindle turning is harder and teaches you how to use a variety of tools and the skills you learn spindle turning will translate to the bowl turning.

Like I said before I have nothing against Easy Wood Tools. I think they are great products, however I feel they should be used to compliment your turning not replace the skills in turning.

Good Luck

Alan

Andrew Kertesz
09-05-2010, 11:04 AM
There are similar products at half the cost if you are comfortable turning your own handles.

Gene Hintze
09-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I started turning this year and primarily do bowls. I have the Easy
Wood finisher and use it a lot and I have their equivalent of a rougher from J&B tools out of Gulfport MS. A very nice tool at about 1/3 the price. I use the carbide tools almost exclusively on my bowls and only augment them with a conventional parting tool and a skew for dovetailing tenons. That said I would love to learn how to turn with conventional tools. I just never had anyone to teach me and frankly they intimidate the heck out of me. Somehow I feel like I am "cheating" by using the carbide tools crazy as that may sound. The carbide tools do a very nice job though and if my bowls are any indication you can turn out nice work with them even as a beginner. I would agree with the earlier poster that learning to turn with conventional tools is important. I've gotta find me a teacher.

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I have the large tool for roughing and use it on almost every piece to rough it out. I think that it is a lot easier to use than a gouge, but you want to stop before you get to the final shape and use a sharp gouge or scraper as the roughing tool tends to leave some tear out for me. I personally think that it saves me a bunch of time and wear and tear on larger bowl blanks, so I recommend adding it to your arsenal.

Charlie Reals
09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I have the EW tools and use them for roughing blanks and love them. I always finish with conventional tools.
Also Ned just my take on it butt you should learn to use the conventional turning tools. That is where the skill is. To me it's no different than a man who calls himself a carpenter and doesn't own a saw without a pigtail.
I am so glad I am old enough to have been trained before all these newfangled gadgets:D:D:D:D

Jenn Hill
09-05-2010, 1:06 PM
I love my Easy tools. I started out doing mostly spindle work with conventional tools. It took a lot of time to learn the proper technique to be able to use them effectively. I have no problem using traditional tools on spindles.
I decided to try a few bowls and they scared the heck out of me. Even with proper instruction you are going to get catches and possible flying blanks. I purchased the Easy tools and they make bowls and larger objects enjoyable to turn.
I think you need to think about what you want to get out of wood turning. Do you want the easy way or the hard way. Do you like that challenge of it? If you like the challenge then I think you would want to learn the proper technique in the use of the traditional tools.
If you want to make only bowls then I think you can get away with using only the Easy tools. If you want to venture away from simple bowl and get creative then you need to learn how to use the traditional tools properly.

Unfortunately, this is not a cheap hobby and you will find that your arsenal of tools will build with the type art you create.

Jenn

Ray Bell
09-05-2010, 1:09 PM
Ok, ashamedly, I use these tools almost exclusively. I have watched the Grumbine tape several times, but I just can't seem to get the technique down. Along with the gouge technique, I am also a pretty poor sharpener, so the Easy Tool takes care of both of these problems. Every bowl that I turn, I will try a gouge at least once, but always switch back to the ET.

David E Keller
09-05-2010, 3:09 PM
I've got a bowl pro from Woodchuck tools... It takes a square carbide insert like one of the Easy tools. I've used it some for roughing, but I prefer to use a bowl gouge most of the time even for roughing.

I wouldn't think you could replace the entire arsenal with a couple of easy tools, but it seems as though several people on here have essentially done just that. This confirms my wife's long standing opinion that I know next to nothing.

Paul Douglass
09-05-2010, 5:51 PM
I have three different Woodchuck tools the I use a lot, but I still use conventional tools. I don't see how you could do everything with them, epically if you are doing intricate finials and such.

Thomas Bennett
09-05-2010, 6:03 PM
Quote from Alan: [Like I said before I have nothing against Easy Wood Tools. I think they are great products, however I feel they should be used to compliment your turning not replace the skills in turning. ]

I agree with Alan, I just bought one, the detail tool. Then a buddy made me a rougher, of which I bought the cutter and made the handle.
I find myself reaching for them more and more for...roughing. I find them to be a great compliment to traditional tools. I think they are worth the money.