PDA

View Full Version : Old Delta Lathe put back together

Mike Cruz
09-05-2010, 7:49 AM
I got this lathe in April. :o Knew right away that I wanted to tinker with it. When I got it, both the shelves were made of 2x pine. The drawers looked like they were made by a bunch of High School students. Actually, this lathe was a Jr. High School lathe at some point (evident by the inscription on the side), so more likely, it was made by 8th or 9th graders.

At some point, I will remake the drawers, but for now, it is open. Yes, I want them yesterday, but I have a million and two other things to do, and I don't need the drawers for the lathe to be operational. So, it'll have to wait.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=148574&d=1271703377

I made new upper and lower shelves out of oak that was taken out of our barn during its rehab. So, it has cool nail holes and stuff in it. I also added a 1 hp motor and linkbelt. A good cleaning helped, too. I decided not to refinish all the cast iron. I don't mind that it shows its age.

The motor mount took some thinking and planning. This is the best I could come up with. Works great...in theory. We'll see how well in action...

The fist pic shows it up against the wall, the way I thought I was going to have it in the shop. But, due to advice I got in another thread, I decided to place it perpendicular to the wall so I can get to the other side if need be. No, it isn't bolted down yet. I'll see how I like it here first.

Never mind the junk to the left of the lathe...it'll get moved when I find a "place" for it all. :o Also, never mind the dust collection pipe on the wall. It has already been removed. I had run some 4" pipe over there last year, and am in the process of now running 6" over there. Oh, and the trash can, while in a great place to catch chips, is now not there either. There is a mobile clamp rack there now. One of my next projects is to hang a curtain behind the lathe to try to somewhat contain the chips and not cover my compressor.

Oh, yeah, just remembered. YES, the power cord is too short and needs to be lengthened and the cord from the motor to the switch needs to be shortened...

Tony De Masi
09-05-2010, 8:04 AM
Ok Mike, let's get her spinning and see what you come up with. I'm no mechanical expert but I don't see why your motor setup shouldn't work.

Jim Underwood
09-05-2010, 8:09 AM
Lookin' good Mike!

I think that motor setup will work just fine. You may not even need the tensioning bolts. Similar setups just rely on the weight of the motor to keep the belt tensioned- added benefit of such a setup is that if you have a bad catch it stops the workpiece instead of doing something worse...

Looks like you're well on your way! Spin some wood on there and make some chips!

Thomas Bennett
09-05-2010, 8:30 AM
Mike, nice restoring job! I love the old Deltas. My first lathe was the exact same model. I always regretted selling it.

Tom Sherman
09-05-2010, 8:58 AM
It's lookin pretty good Mike, only thing better would be covered with chips.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Nice job on the lathe. Have the motor weight for belt tension can be a good thing. Get a bad catch and it will stop turning.

Mike Cruz
09-06-2010, 3:40 PM
I will, guys, I will. What I do need to do before I get turning is to get my grinder set up. No use trying to turn if you can't sharpen your tools. If you read my post in Off Topic, it tells of having a bad day. Well, that bad day centered around trying to get my grinder wheels balanced and dressed. Didn't work out well. I think I'm going to "pop in" a Woodcraft store and see if they can get it working properly.

Believe me, I've got an itch I can't scratch and it is driving me nuts...

Baxter Smith
09-06-2010, 5:06 PM
That looks good! Will make a very nice lathe.

Allen Neighbors
09-06-2010, 5:51 PM
Way to go, Mike! When you get the grinder setup working, you'll be in business. Looks like a good job all the way around.
I second the idea of motor-weight-tension... good safety measure!

Mike Cruz
09-07-2010, 7:52 AM
I don't really have a problem with the motor weight being used as the tensioner, but two things: The looser the belt tension, the more vibration there seems to be in it; and the motor that was on it was a 1/3 hp (not original) that used the motor weight for the belt tension and the motor bounced around quite a bit.

I'll try loosening up the hand screws to see how it runs. Thanks for the advice...wouldn't have though of it.

Dave Mcintire
09-07-2010, 9:01 AM
These lathes had a generic bearing problem. Delta issued a bulletin on how to handle it some decades ago. You may want to visit some of the sites for old machinery and find it. I would monitor the headstock temperature for a while and be careful of the tightness of the two large nuts that are on each side of the spindle.
Otherwise it is a great machine that will last forever and once the bearing issues are resolved, if any, its trouble free more or less.

Don Jarvie
09-07-2010, 3:29 PM
Hit OWWM.org and search for the model number. There are a ton of posts regarding this model and you can get some insite as to mount the motor.