PDA

View Full Version : Insulating garage doors.

Tony Sade
12-14-2004, 8:36 AM
(Me again!) I've installed some new weatherstripping around my two garage (shop) doors and have eliminated all the leaks, I think. Time to insulate these cheap pieces of you know what. I'm leaning towards using some construction adhesive to glue on some panels but I'm not sure what type of panel to use. The higher the R value the better, I know, but I also want to be able to bevel the things at the door panel joints, and I'll have to do a fair amount of cutting and fitting around all the hardware. Light weight would be nice as well to reduce the risk of interfering with the closer (on the one door where it still works). Any suggestions on the best type of panel? Anything else to consider? Best adhesive? Thanks, Tony

Phil Phelps
12-14-2004, 9:08 AM
Tony, I'd stay away from adhesives due to heat. That door will get plenty hot. I used styrene for my insulation. I used 1/2" panels and 1/4" to hold them in place. They all slid and snapped into place. Finding 1/4" styrene might pose a problem since I don't think home centers have it. I used the sign supply companies for my styrene. My door is 8'x10', cost me about $50.

Steve Nelson
12-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Phingers, how ya doing?Havent talked to ya in a while, we'll have to have lunch one day after the holidays...Steve

Steve Clardy
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I bought all three of mine already insulated. Only a hundred more each. Figured by the time I got the insulation, cut and fit, etc., would be just as well to buy them already done.
My father-in-law did his with 1" styro, with foil back. Construction glue.
Worked for him a-ok

Phil Phelps
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Anytime suits me ;)

John Weber
12-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Tony,

My "cheaper" insulated door just has snap in insulating panels, foam with a plastic skin on one side about 1" thick. It seems to do ok. My better door is a sheet metal skin (both sides) over a foam core. I think you can get by with some rigid foam or whatever you like, but keep it light and the metal lips of the door panel should keep the panels in place. You might also try your door mfg, some companies sell kits pre cut for their doors.

Cold here to - John