PDA

View Full Version : What a year. .

Matt Evans
09-04-2010, 5:24 PM
Well, Looks like I am back online, finally.

It has been a tough year, and frankly, I just quit posting or even looking at SMC, as well as the rest of the internet, for a while. My apologies for uncompleted threads. . .I will try to pick things up where I left off, but it may take me a while.

Moved across a few states recently, so I will be updating my location when I contribute again. The good about the new place is that it is less expensive to live in, in a better neighborhood and the winters aren't so cold and snowy.

The bad? My shop is my benchtop set across two sawhorses, and all my tools are in the living room or a storage unit at the moment.

Anyone ever take on woodworking projects working in that sort of setup? I am curious how people deal with the situation, because I just find it really depressing.

Jim Rimmer
09-04-2010, 9:46 PM
Welcome back. Hope everything is working well for you. As to your question, I haven't been there so I can only offer my sympathy, no advice.

Steve Griffin
09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
A little benchtop in the laundry room is how I started. The key is to find small, hand tool intensive projects. You know what they say about lemonade and lemons-- you can take just about any bad situation and come out ahead.

One idea is to get into models. I've built about 20 RC planes on a tiny workbench--you don't even need power tools. Since I woodwork for a living, working with wood in an entirely different way is even more fun than time in the shop. Plus I can sit down for a change...

In any case, hope the next year is way better than the last!

-Steve

Rick Potter
09-05-2010, 2:31 PM
I have seen several shed shops on line.

Rick Potter