PDA

View Full Version : My Neighbor gave me a scroll saw, sorta.

Jeremy Greiner
09-04-2010, 4:28 PM
In previous conversations with my neighbor I had mentioned I was getting into woodworking and he had mentioned how when he was younger he used to do such things. My neighbor is very friendly, and from everything I can tell a nice guy.

I was working on my workbench all afternoon and my neighbor came over with a box, inside was a craftsman scroll saw. He said that he hasn't used it much and certianly not in the past decade, he mentioned he paid 140$ for it but I should figure out what would be fair and I can pay him when I can.

My neighbor has always been very curtious so I don't think he's trying to just unload broken junk (I don't know if it works yet), but I don't know what the apropriate etiquette is for a situation such as this?

-jeremy

PS I've attached pictures of the scroll saw.

Dell Littlefield
09-04-2010, 4:57 PM
Guess you will have to decide what it is worth to you. Here is one that looks similar for $60. http://pensacola.craigslist.org/tls/1935316760.html

Dan Hintz
09-04-2010, 5:01 PM
On top of that, if it's of any use to you... even if you paid $5, it's a waste if it will sit unused on your workbench for ten years, too...

Van Huskey
09-04-2010, 5:04 PM
Be honest with him. If you don't want/need it tell him. If it is worth somwthing to you tell him what it is worth to you, with a sincere offer to give it back if he doesn't think it is fair. I am not a big scroll saw user, I have one that is similar and use it once in a blue moon.

Paul Wunder
09-04-2010, 5:07 PM
I paid $35 for the single speed model, NEW, from a Sears surplus store about 15 years ago. It was an impulse purchase and I never used it. It included a take-off for an included Dremel-like flexible shaft.

John alder
09-04-2010, 5:08 PM
Well you don't say weather you want it or not?I bought my 1st saw at a yard sale and really got into it.Now with 5 of them in my shop.I have turned out some good work with a sears saw just like that one.

Jeremy Greiner
09-04-2010, 6:36 PM
I don't know what scroll saws are generally used for to be honest, I'm just getting into wood working.

I read through the manual, got it set up just to get it working, attempted to turn it on, and it won't.

I'm going to bake a batch of cookies and return the scroll saw and give him some cookies and thank him for gesture.

Van Huskey
09-04-2010, 9:53 PM
Sounds like the "problem" fixed itself!

Dave Lehnert
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
The cheap Craftsman saws are not worth anything. I had one and got so mad because I could not learn how to use a scroll saw. Turns out it was the saw and not me. Got a DeWalt saw and was an expert in less than a day.