PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hollow form #2 for critique

Robert McGowen
09-04-2010, 3:26 PM
Hollow form #2. Not really sold on the shape, but it is what it is as they say. Form was turned reversed from the normal bowl orientation with a natural edge opening, which is why the irregular sap wood ring is around the top.

Fair sized piece at 10" wide x 5" tall with a 1.75" opening. Fairly consistent 3/8" thick. Finished with 3 coats of Antique Oil.

Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

William Hutchinson
09-04-2010, 4:01 PM
On first viewing I thought the shape needed some lift off the bottom to accommodate the long neck. But when viewing the full size photo, I like it as is. The Mesquite's rust color is wonderful along with your finishing. The sap wood on the lip add a great detail.

Dennis Ford
09-04-2010, 4:04 PM
I really like the sap wood around the opening, clearly you planned that. A profile shot would help us see the overall shape better. My first impression is that the widest portion is relatively near the bottom, gives it sort of a "emotionally depressed" appearance.

charlie knighton
09-04-2010, 4:06 PM
very nice, in the future when you have sapwood at the top you may want to follow John Jordan's lead and do a little carving around the sapwood area

Tony De Masi
09-04-2010, 4:32 PM
I like that a lot Robert. I don't know if it is as "squatty" as it appears but that shape appeals to me.

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2010, 5:47 PM
Robert - this is really nice! I have seen the form before and seem to remember that the name given to it as 'bag of sand' and when you think about it - it does have a very organic feel to it!

I went through my Southwestern pottery book - looking for this particular shape. Found a few examples of it but with a slightly more tapered neck.

Very nice uninterrupted curve to the form! Good looking wood and finish! I do like how you kept the sap wood around the mouth of the piece - draws attention to the opening.

Personally - I do not see anything here that you have created that I would even attempt to improve on. This has a very warm look to it and fits right in with all the Southwest style forms.

Very nice work! You should be happy with this one! Thanks for sharing!

alex carey
09-04-2010, 5:54 PM
sap wood is awesome, nice job.

David E Keller
09-04-2010, 6:50 PM
I like it overall. The sapwood at the rim is really nice. The only thing that I see that I might change is the curve leading up into the neck of the piece... It seems a little abrupt to my eye. Great job.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2010, 6:53 PM
Robert I do like that piece. The sap wood sure gives it a nice contrast.

Jim Burr
09-04-2010, 6:56 PM
Hey Robert!
Wood and form are great. I think the neck is a little tall, but it makes sense since the sap wood is there acting as an accent. Bravo!

John Keeton
09-04-2010, 7:59 PM
This stuff is so subjective, so it is difficult to 'critique.' I think the most one can do is say what they find appealing - or not.

I know nothing of SW forms, so can't say much there. I love the wood, the color, and the neck. Without a full profile pic, it is hard to say, but I probably am in agreement with David K. on the transition into the neck.

Aside from that, I find the piece appealing, and very well executed.

James Roberts
09-04-2010, 8:30 PM
Great piece, I like the sapwood at the collar. Sort of makes you want to peek in and see if it's really hollow. It IS hollow, isn't it?:D

Tom Sherman
09-04-2010, 8:34 PM
A very nice piece Robert Great wood too.

David Woodruff
09-04-2010, 8:35 PM
Robert, Sure works for me. Far as I am concerned you nailed one of the classic Anasazi forms. Really good work on continuous flow of the curve, no breaks, no flats. Do it again.

Baxter Smith
09-04-2010, 8:49 PM
Great color and finish to the wood and I like the sapwood around the opening. I would be interested in seeing the profile.

Curt Fuller
09-04-2010, 9:59 PM
That's really nice! As Steve S said, it's a good example of the 'bag-o-sand' form and you did a beautiful job of highlighting the beauty in the mesquite.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Robert, I've been sitting here for 10 minutes looking at this piece and finally looked at the larger pictures. Once I did that I saw it in a completely new way. Quite honestly, at first I didn't like it, but then as I looked closer it really grew on me. I am taken with the way the grain pops and frames the sap wood collar. While the shape may be imperfect by some standard, I wouldn't want it changed. I'm afraid it would loose it's special character and uniqueness. In picture #2 there seems to be a triangular gouge in the sap wood. please talk about that and what your thinking was toward it. I would buy this work in a heart beat. Bobby, I see your heart in this one and that is what makes it special.;):)

Robert McGowen
09-05-2010, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the comments and critiques!

Here is a better profile photo.

The chip in the sap wood is just that, a piece chipped out. I did not know it had even come out until I started to finish it. It does not really stand out unless you are looking at it at an angle. (I have not done anything with it yet in the below photo and you can't really see it.) As Chris asked about it, I am thinking that I should get out the Grex sander and some 220 and blend it all together. The Antique oil is easy to reapply, so no problem there. What would you do with it?

Paul Douglass
09-05-2010, 5:52 PM
Robert that is beautiful in my opinion. That wood just calls for that type of forum. Nicely done.