PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor lube

Jamie Schmitz
09-04-2010, 2:47 AM
I am wondering if i should open my 1-1/2 hp table saw motor to check and see if there are any lube points. I know when I bought it that it had been outside a bit and might have even seen rain. It is fairly quiet but I am just wondering from a maintenance perspective. TIA

Joe Chritz
09-04-2010, 5:05 AM
Unlikely that any of the bearings are open. At worst they are shielded but likely are all sealed.

There isn't anything else that moves that would need lube and even if they go it isn't usually to bad to replace them.

Joe

Angie Orfanedes
09-04-2010, 6:30 AM
Agree. Motor bearings are sealed - cannot be relubed - they can only be replaced. Many motors (especially totally enclosed fan cooled ones) do well outside if they are protected from rain/dripping water. If your motor is not making strange noises, you should not open it up.

Lee Schierer
09-07-2010, 8:22 AM
Agree. Motor bearings are sealed - cannot be relubed - they can only be replaced.

Not true.....My Craftsman TS has small plastic plugs on the motor bearings, one on each end. According to the manual they require periodic light oil lubrication. I try to remember to pull the plugs at least twice a year and put in a couple of drops of oil.

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2010, 9:12 AM
I owned a Craftsman tablesaw, and like Lee, mine had plastic plugs which were removed to oil the sleeve bearings in the motor.

Some ball bearings on electric motors have grease fittings, and more harm is done to those bearings by over lubrication, or contamination than can be believed.

You'll have to inspect your motor and read the instruction manual to determine if your motor requires periodic lubrication.

Regards, Rod.

Josiah Bartlett
09-07-2010, 1:54 PM
Most good electric motors (especially >1hp) have sealed ball bearings, but not all do, as others have said. If there are no zerk fittings or oil cups then chances are they are sealed.